The new examine window is actually more confusing than the old one

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Fistpower, May 24, 2018.

1. Breanna Well-Known Member

Totally agree Rhodris! I've played for 13 years now, and most everything is dumbed down ALOT. I miss the good old days when you actually had to use your brain on what to wear, now it is all just given to you, you don't even have to work for it.
  2. Surgeon Active Member

The mitigation % is gone from new window, that's a regression.
  3. Surgeon Active Member

Yeah they made sure of that by banning everyone even slightly criticizing the game, even in a positive, constructive manner.
    Meneltel, Mizgamer62, Tkia and 2 others like this.
  4. knine Well-Known Member

It's been dumbed down for years now.. the only true stat that has really mattered out of all of them is STA now...you haven't had to use that reason for gear for a while lol.. its all about resolve/pot/cb..ascensions are king..The game dumb down started with group cure consolidation a long time ago and has since continued. it is what it is.. the examine window is just lousy with how everything is in multiple columns and moves around randomly with no rhyme or reason and the dropdown with-in the examine window was just a huge waste of time.. who has all the effects memorized lol.. I really have 0 clue what the developer was thinking for that part.. oh look we don't need to see what the effect is.. just believe us there is on lol???
    Mizgamer62, Tkia and Rhodris like this.
  5. Vandrago Active Member

And, this is why this game is in the shape it's in now. I remember when they asked for suggestions, and in the same sentence said if it's long they wouldn't even read it. Well, I guess they missed a lot of good suggestions and are down to what, 4 servers or so? I've always viewed EQ2 as training grounds for new cheaper devs, because they just change/do random crap that doesn't benefit the game, and it's not done well either.
  6. Mizri Active Member

Didn't they even ban Feldon? Trying to remember. Someone who has done so much for EQ2 and they treated him like dirt because he stood up for players and only wanted this game to succeed.

At this point I'd suggest they rotate devs around their games. It would be nice to get some new perspective and ideas into EQ2 and a decent amount of civil interaction from the devs towards the majority of the playerbase, not just the gnomes.
    Argosunited, Tekka, Meneltel and 3 others like this.
  7. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

Yes, they banned Feldon.

Rotating devs unlikely to happen. Undocumented code = job security (I suspect).
    Argosunited, Tekka, Meneltel and 3 others like this.
  8. Ummmyeh Active Member

Weird huh? I like the "I stopped playing but I am making my free heroic toon" Just as much

Bubble gnome #7315
  9. Mizri Active Member

I like the posts from the people who read the EQ2 Wire forums and then come back here to post about it.
    Argosunited, Rhodris, Zorash and 2 others like this.
  10. Fistpower Well-Known Member

Can we keep this on topic so we can have actual discussions about improvements instead of peoples personal bull? Why give them the opportunity to remove a thread that has been running fine until the last page or so.
  11. knine Well-Known Member

. We can have all the discussions we want to have but you know as well as i do it stays right here in this little ole little looked at forum. There was again input about it since its came out. Ive asked for the option of going back to the old window and straight been told no, we are only maintaining one window. IMO this all has to do with the upcoming class changes in the next xpac release so be afraid lol. The one and only thing that made sense for this window was the combining of green stats. The rest is a complete waste of time, but its their game, not ours lol. It hasnt been the game for customers for years. But like most i still have time remaining on my sub so press on. Thats all we can do and they know it. So keepng it real, either play or quit, or go to discord and post yours wants, but thats all they are in the end. Hopefully a smart person can code a window to add to a UI and we can have back a GREAT window, not this mediocre one.
    Juraiya and Meneltel like this.
  12. knine Well-Known Member

. Of course it is. It was their “great idea”. Kinda like crossbows that rangers and channelers will never ise lol. Great idea fairies.
    Rhodris likes this.
  13. knine Well-Known Member

can we get a list of things you are doing to change in the examine window and give you feedback before you actually implement it.. may help with ensuring its QA'ed at least??
    Mermut likes this.
  14. Mysstie Well-Known Member

It's been noted and I haven't read the entire thread but XYZ stat needs to be in the same place for every item (not sure it was this way before). Potency is always on the top, right and so on. Depending on the items the same stat will be on different rows and/or columns. Comparing items is a pain.

The problem is that not all items will have the same stats. So, if an item doesn't have DPS, just put "DPS: 0". But, then many items would have "Stat: 0" placeholders. I dunno.
  15. knine Well-Known Member

The way to fix it.. keep the combined green stats.. best and only good part of the new examine window... get rid of the examine within a window.. you realize how ridiculous that is right?? put all the blue stats back on the left in a column, there really was no harm in how it was.. I don't know if DEVs just didn't like the fact of how long it was, maybe they play on 15 inch screens, who knows...so to sum it up... keep combined stats and make everything else like it was.... NO ONE in their right mind that compares gear can honestly say they like the way this window is, and examining with in the window itself is annoying... I had a master drop the other day and examined it and nothing.. I had to hover over the book within the examine window to see what the spell did....ANNOYING....I really hope your "fixes" get pushed for people to look at first before you just jettison them out to us...
  16. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I'm guessing that with all the effects and whatnot, trying to show everything in one Examine window was getting difficult with the explosion of data to include Effects, reforging, infusion, adornments, etc.

I'd like to see the Examine window have the stats all in the same darn place and order all the time. I think it would be helpful to simply list the stats (with reforge and infusion added in) and effect names, then with the Examine window open, provide tabs that show the full effect description, adornment details, and infusion details.

It's always been a bit of a challenge to figure out if loot that flies by in a group or raid is something you should roll need on, or bid DKP. Whatever the basic view of the Examine window is, it should be consistent to allow quick and easy side-by-side comparison with what you've got equipped.
    Breanna and Rosyposy like this.
  17. Soara2 Well-Known Member

I hates the new examine window too, and 40 ascension levels on one expansion and 10 adv/crafting levels with another 20 ascension levels on the next. Old ways were better. It's gotten out of hand. Used to be just 5 levels or so every other expansion
    Rhodris likes this.
  18. Thart Developer

Hey everyone, we made some changes based on feedback y'all sent to Kander and posted on this thread.

1. The effects list toggle state is now sticky and applies to subsequently opened examine windows.

If you want the effects list open by default all the time, just open it once and never close it again.

2. Reforge / Experiment / Infusion indication

If a stat has been reforged, experimented on, or infused, then the number for that stat will be tinted light yellow.

In the examine window, if you mouseover a stat, it will show a combination of "Experimented", "Reforged", or "Infused" in the tooltip so you can know what contributed to a change from the base stat value.

3. Better stat sorting

There was already some coarse-grained sorting of stats into buckets that arranged certain types of stats to be next to each other but of course there was a lot of room for variance.

Now the sorting will always put Potency Crit Bonus, Resolve, and Fervor in that order in the blue stats section. The previous bucketed sorting is still there, but within each bucket stats will be sorted alphabetically by name, so now there's a total ordering you can rely on.

I also made sure that Primary Attributes always goes before Stamina. I don't recall ever seeing items where this was reversed, but better safe than sorry :p

You can still end up with items not having one of the front-sorted stats, which leads to some changing columns. However, with this change it's much easier to scan item diffs since you know for sure that these key stats are always in order at the start of the section.
    Once these changes pass code review and QA they'll show up in the next weekly update. Slightly wordier, more exact details on how sorting works will be in the update notes.

Sound alright?
    Kari, Cheallaigh, TechUp and 6 others like this.
  19. Breanna Well-Known Member

Cool can't wait to see how much better it's going to be. :) Thank you thank you :D
    Rosyposy likes this.
  20. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

Thank you for taking the time to listen to the player's feedback regarding the exam window.

I'd guess that Leonardo might have consulted with ole Mona regarding her facial expression prior to painting it up.... she wanted an RBF, Leo wanted a huge smile.... so they met in the middle (ish).

Here's to hoping the exam window collab turns into a work of art..
    Juraiya, Breanna and Rosyposy like this.