Swashbuckler single target DPS

Discussion in 'Scouts' started by Redlight, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Redlight Well-Known Member

The recent changes to Swashies were appreciated but there needs to be a focus on their single target DPS and introducing class defining ability to make them still worth playing going forward, also their Epic 2 spell that gives abilty double cast is now totally worthless, easy fix for now boost them by another 15% and make the Swashy reset apply to everything and make a double up ability that works on blues AoEs only.
    I haven't played for a bit due to work and going to log in I tend to think whats the point , Gnoma
  2. Vilento New Member

I agree that this has been an issue for a while. The PoP abitity doublecast avoidance make the buff of ruthless finesse comletely irrelevant which i'm sure can't be in anyones interest.

Single target dps is still pretty terrible, ascensions, aoe abilities and procs like interrupt, obsidian rend and curuvar'redna are what's relevant on those parses. The regular single target abilities (Snap of the wrist, sunder, flash of steel, flamboyant strike, devious blade, razor edge (...) and the entire backstab line) make up something around 1% of the parse in single target encounters even though many of them are grandmastered. Therefore, all they really do is provide proc chances and some use in combination with feedback loop every few minutes, but by themselves, they add no value at all.

I'm not offering any concrete solutions here like the post above, just acknowledging that there is an issue here that requires more then raising the CA strength slightly so that the CA value changes from nothing to a micron above nothing.
    semisus likes this.
  3. Kaladz Active Member

Agree. Swashes need some single target dps. Additionally ability doublecast doesn't properly increase dagger storm dps as it it should. Pretty much all single target spells do such a low amount of DPS.
  4. kojika New Member

Swashy's lack of single target DPS would not be improved even if single arts were rebumped. I think what we really need is AE arts reinforcement.

Other classes have low DPS ability too, but they can DPS because they have good specific DPS sources other than low DPS abilty. For example, Makeshift Allows and PET for RNG, Apocalypse and Cataclysm for WLK, Dragonfire for MNK, PET for summoners and so on. Our specific AE arts are less powerful than them.
    Especially reinforcement of AEs of WLK and MNK is upto 6-9 times before PoP but ours are less than 3times (based on spellbooks). And also all of our AEs are DD, so total amount of damage significantly pales in comparison to their reinforced DoT AEs.

Look at our purse. The total damage of AEs except Dagger storm is less than Dagger storm in AE fight. Ascension abilities are most dps source in single fight. The way we can survive as swashy of AE specific class is improve efficiency of AEs. Then, single target DPS will be improved too.

just my 2 cents.
  5. Carnades New Member

if you want to focus on single target dps, swap to a Brigand. Swashies as far as i can remember while they DO have single target ca's most of their ca's and buffs (hurricane) are made for aoe dmg.
  6. Vilento New Member

And noone is disputing that swashies excel in aoe encounters as thats their intended strength. However, it is also the intended strength of warlocks and to a lesser extend necros, but those dont have to hover over the right hand side of the parse with a magnifying glass to find their dps on a single target encounter. They are given means to still be somewhat competitive when it comes to those while retaining their strength in aoe encounters.

A diffenent way to look at it would be to suggest that all the conjies, wizzies, sins and also the brigs you mentioned (and that can do very nicely in aoe encounters despite being the single target version of the swashy) should be stripped of every single aoe ability that is somewhat usefull, since 'if you want to focus on aoe dps, swap to a <whatever the opposite class is>'. But that isnt how the game works with most subclass pairings and i'm glad that's the case. You shouldn't make certain classes utterly useless in certain types of encounters while having them carry the raid in others. Make everyone a contributor in every fight, but to different extends.
    Ruckus likes this.