Crafting Guide for Newbie?

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by cintile, Mar 9, 2018.

1. cintile New Member

I just started playing a night or so ago. Not even level 10 yet. I keep hearing about the importance and fun of crafting in EQ2. My starting area is Halas and I'm playing a Bard. I understand that when I finally reach 100 I will have to learn to craft for epic 2.0. I figure I might as well work on it as I level.

My question is this. Can anyone link to me a guide that is current? I have no idea really where to start, or what to be harvesting as I'm leveling up as a brand new character. I would love to just craft a bit along the way, so that when I really need it, its already up to par. I'm not a huge fan of crafting, but maybe it can be something I learn to enjoy.

thanks!
    Synergy Blaize and Cacophony like this.
  2. Ursa Minor Well-Known Member

Best place to start is http://eq2.eqtraders.com
    Check out the Tradeskill Guides section first for some intro/overview.
  3. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Also follow these timelines:
    http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Tradeskill_Timeline
    You'll be able to buy advanced crafting books, and by completing some of the timelines you will earn valuable items: a couple of mounts, Earring of the Solstice, Blessed Prayer Shawl, a couple of larger backpacks, a mercenary...

Choose a tradeskill profession that benefits your adventure class, that is, a profession that can make your upgraded spells or armor, potions, arrows, bolts or throwing ammo, and so on. There is a list of which profession makes what on the same wiki page above.

You will also want to take a look at these wiki pages:
    http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Tradeskilling
    http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Comprehensive_Tradeskill_Equipment_List

Remember... one bite at a time! (That's how you eat an elephant.)
  4. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Ursa and Rosy gave you everything you could want, there is nothing I can add except for EQ2U, which will let you look and see what tradeskill quests you may have missed.

Welcome to Norrath and the wonderful and exciting world of Tradeskills. When you get enough plat you can buy a house and then we can say welcome to the wonderful and exciting world of Decorating and you too can become a hoarder like the rest of us. *cheesy smile*.

If you are earning Loyalty tokens, when you get 5 you can go to the Loyalty merchant and purchase a small bag of platinum coins and you will get 500 plat when you examine it. And poof you are on your way. But I do believe you must have a subscription to buy the bag of platinum coins. If you are not subscribed and you have someone you trust, you can swap, they can have you buy something from the Loyalty merchant that they might like that is tradeable and they can trade you the 500 plat. I offer to do that for people.

Also make sure to use the bell and go to Isle of Mara, locate Qho Augren across the water from where you zone in and start his Gathering Obsession questline. You will be harvesting materials anyway and he gives a nice bit of coin and the line ends with a pack pony that will gather materials for you. Then there is a follow-up line you can do to upgrade your pack pony and it will be able to gather holiday harvests for you as well.

Look for depots on the broker when you get your home, that way you can store collectibles, harvestables, potions, lore and legend, ammo, fuel, and food so you do not have to clutter your bank box with them. When you buy your first home, you will also have access to a house vault which can be up to 6 slots depending on the house you buy, you can place boxes or bags in the slots and get additional storage that way.
    Cacophony and Rosyposy like this.
  5. Meirril Well-Known Member

[quote="cintile, post: 6499059, member: 726242"
    My question is this. Can anyone link to me a guide that is current? I have no idea really where to start, or what to be harvesting as I'm leveling up as a brand new character. I would love to just craft a bit along the way, so that when I really need it, its already up to par. I'm not a huge fan of crafting, but maybe it can be something I learn to enjoy.
    [/quote]

I don't think any guide is going to answer some of these questions. For harvesting, harvest everything you find along the way till you cap all of your harvesting skills. That cap increases by 5 every time your highest level goes up. Crafting can out level adventuring.

Make anything to level up till you hit 9. At 9 talk to a Tradeskill Counselor or Trainer and the dialogue will let you choose a subclass. Continue grinding till you hit 15 and then start doing Work Orders. Work Orders (and Rush Orders once you hit 20) give a huge amount of quest experience so they are the best leveling path for crafting. When you hit 19 you need to talk to a Counselor/trainer again and choose your class.

My advice for a class is usually to start with Provisioner (since all characters use food). If that isn't sexy enough for you pick what you like (not weaponsmith). Jeweler and Tailor have a LOT of utility for a crafting class. If you take advice at all, avoid weaponsmith, that takes a special kind of obsession dedication to follow.

Oh! And Frostfang Sea has harvesting for 2 tiers in it. The area around the wreck where you start is tier 1. When you get to the Orc area you hit Tier 2 harvesting. Each "Tier" of crafting is the 0-9 of a level where you start using/harvesting new resources.

One last hint: The first 7 days of a month there is a city festival. You can see which city it is by looking at the Calendar. If you go to that city you can get a tier 1 crafting quest to feed the workers. It is really good xp for the level, and even high level crafters do it for the tokens that you can spend at the fair. Nothing important being sold there but lots of "fun" stuff. Each city gets some 'local' products and then separate vendors that sells shared goods. Try a fried Brownie!
    Rosyposy likes this.