Returning player starting fresh

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Boing Boom Tschak, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Boing Boom Tschak New Member

Hello guys and gals,

Im returning to EQ 1 and 2 and I have some mighty good questions for ya.

I take it, since I'm playing all the way from Europe, Thurgadin is the server to pick ? I really want to get the whole experience all the way from noob level to max so no progression or real money server.

Here is a real good question you probable get every so often. What is a real fun class of these thrree:

1. Conjuror since I always love this type of caster in games.

2. Shadowknight since he is a cool dude with lifetaps, plate armor and dot's. Also he/she or it can be very vital for a group.

3. Monk since he can have cool hat and pack a wallop. Also he can heal himself.

SO please feel free to rate 1,2 and 3 from a scale of 1-10 how good these classes are nowadays.

See you in Norrath, Norrathians :)

PS: Remember since I'm also going to be playing EQ1, I will only make one class in each game, playing single character style and no boxing.
  2. Meneltel Well-Known Member

I am not at end game or well geared, but I still love the SK, both EQ and EQ2. However, you should try them out and YOU decide. Its your game, after all. Good luck on Thurgadin or whichever server you do join!
    ConcealFate likes this.
  3. luxxxaeterna Member

Hello, fellow Thurgadiner :)
    1 - 9
    2 - 7
    3 - 7

If you are looking for a friendly casual guild, look no further than The Order of the Guiding Light ;)
  4. Boing Boom Tschak New Member

Thanks ! I made a conjuror and it's cool.

Btw, does anyone knows why the npc's are all silent ? Theres text but I can't hear the voices.
  5. puppybreath Active Member

Not all have speech. Make sure your sound settings are turned up in the Options. Turn up the Voice there.
  6. Lukasha Member

Hard to answer which of those 3 are fun, as that would differ with each person. Do this maybe. Make one of each. Start one in New Halas, one in Neriak, one in Gorowind (names of new starting areas in character creation screen). These three areas each have their own independent quest lines, so will not be a repeat, then pick the one you like the best.
  7. Meirril Well-Known Member

Bit of unsolicited advice. First, join a guild. Even if you plan on soloing join a guild anyways. Make sure they have a guild hall with at least a world bell, druid portal and wizard portal, and broker/banker set up. Even small guilds should have that. This way you have access to easy travel and you can ask people that will get to know you for advice.

Second: Think about buying the ability to use Mercs. Mercenaries is an account feature you need to purchase separately. That is a 1 time cost of about $10 US (not sure what the cost would be in other currencies). You can buy special mercs as well, but you don't need to. There are mercs you can get for free or do quests/achievments for in game. Some even become available as drops. When you are below 90 they will be outrageously powerful. Basically they will be like having a higher level player around. Beyond 90 you are stronger than they are, but they are still helpful against solo content. I'd recommend a priest type more for the cures than actual healing. Paladin mercs are very popular too. Before 90, any merc is good. After 90 any player is better, but its better to have a merc along rather than just soloing.

Third: Subscribing will let you shift your AA/XP slider. It also lets you earn slightly more coin. Other than that...there isn't any reason to subscribe before you hit the end content. The same with buying expansions. Don't buy expansions until you expect to enter them (unless you really like the bonus stuff they offer, like mounts). Also you can "buy" your first prestige house with the loyalty tokens, check the merchant in Freeport/Qeynos.

Fourth: Check the broker before you sell stuff to a vendor. Lots of stuff can be sold to other players for a lot more plat than you'll be able to earn any other way. Even low level stuff like adept spells and collectibles.
  8. Neritti Member

I hate to say it but you're not going to really get the "whole experience" on a live server. You'll basically be soloing completely with a Mercenary, groups really aren't an option until max lvl there. I came back to the game awhile ago, was on a live server and basically left to go to the progression 2 weeks later due to not wanting to have to solo all the way to max. It's simply no longer the same game on live. You're dealing with players who've already done the content to where they're completely sick of it and don't really want to do groups to lvl anyways unless they're boxing and PLing their alts. You don't get "LF more DoF instances group" on a live server or any groups asking for more until it's end game content dungeons and raids. The good news is that any class you pick can pretty much solo run dungeons just fine with a good Mercenary.
  9. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Another reason groups aren't done very much on live is the often arrogant or elitist attitude of some of the players. They seem to demand a perfect run done in under 90 seconds or you are taking too long. You have to know the instance perfectly and done each boss fight at least 100 times or you are just a "n00b" and are wasting everyone's time and should just delete your characters and yourself, just to make sure.

Am I too bitter? Perhaps I am, but I didn't start out that way...
  10. Nickolous Member

I see the same thing as Meneltel. This is becoming/is common in most games now. These people run others away from games, hurting themselves in the process. It can be fun to help others in a new game experience.

Play a few classes and decide. EQ2 is a very deep game, much to enjoy!
    Jazznblues, ConcealFate and Meneltel like this.
  11. Meirril Well-Known Member

I can't recommend doing a progression server until a player grows to love EQ2. Progression and other special servers require you pay for subscription to access them. That isn't a great way to introduce a new (or returning) player to EQ2.
  12. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

Right on point. This is the case for all classes....and for fighters? Forget it unless you have a great guild to help you.