Advice on Class Delimma Recently

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Chris76, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Chris76 Member

Hi everyone, I consider myself pretty new to EQ2 even though back in the day when game launched I started out as a veteran, but I only played for 9 months and quit and haven't touched the game since then. I know alot has changed hence why I am here asking for help. I only played a brigand back then and loved it and had him to lvl 50 at the time.

I resubbed lately and I am having trouble with classes I think I might like. I like to solo and I will primarily be a solo player with some grouping here and there and maybe year from now raiding but I will never be a hardcore raider. I am mostly 80% soloer and 20% grouper kinda guy.

I tried necro level 4 first and it seems the pet hits like a wet noodle and my dots tick so slowly, I feel like I should be killing way faster. I tried a Fury but got it to like level 3 and started other classes and never played it anymore. I made a brigand and got it to level 6 thinking of how I enjoyed my old one way long ago, but I got to reading some website saying there is better options other than brigand. I am just not sure I am going to like pet classes as a soloer. Scout classes I read that none but BM are any good soloing. Priest classes can solo but most take forever to kill anything. Tank classes and most specifically SK do great on trash and adds but take forever to kill named and bosses. I heard good things about Berserker however....Is there a class you can recommend I stay with that can solo most content (old raids and dungeons, heroics) kill the mob pretty fast and has decent aoe and can move on to next mob/s. Now I understand that mercs can speed up gameplay depending on what one you choose that compliments the class but I hear they take your experience too?

I forgot to mention I am playing on a TLE server Fallen Gate because I wanna have access to less content as its released. The only class I seem halfway interested in is Wizard because I know they can dps and solo and do great in groups but I worry about investing too much time into come to find out later they don't have the longevity to solo harder stuff or heroic stuff. Finally I am doubting the wizard in general now because I understand they are single target and Warlock is AOE oriented, I thought pure casters all had great aoe but they say WL are way better at it. Will I be disappointed in the Wiz because of that or does it really matter? The other classes I mentioned, am I just not giving them enough time to develop? I thank you for any help on this, I just wanna hear what the community has to offer any ideas. Should I stay TLE or go to regular server and btw is it just me or is the exp gain on a TLE server majorly slow?

Thank you!
  2. Chris76 Member

Wow no replys or advice? Ok then =(
    Soara2 likes this.
  3. Kheldorm Active Member

Stick with Necro. They solo fine, but you have to get past the first 10 or 15 levels (for any class) to develop some power.
    Soara2 likes this.
  4. Venez New Member

All classes can solo now just depends on how long it takes to kill stuff. Nothing is really going to be fast at beginner levels. Things start to speed up "some" after level 20, and then about every 10 levels. Normally stuff starts to get easier when you get AA and they can completely change what you can do with your class (as in a Necro or anything with AA compared to no AA is mind boggeling), not sure if there unlocked on TLE servers yet or not.

Playing on TLE locks you from certain features until they unlock them which has its on benefits and downsides..
    Soara2 likes this.
  5. Kayas Member

I know of a beast Lord starting to solo Pop heroics. I think they are solo champions with the ability to switch from healing to DPS as needed. They also use a pet and have scout like abilities, so it is like a bit of two things you like , necro and brigand. They can be confusing to play at first but with practice you should get the hang of it. They are T1 DPS in current content I believe. With a healer merc you should be able to run the beast Lord in full dps mode. Only problem are they unlocked on FG?
    Soara2 likes this.
  6. Skadad Member

No mercs on FG, stat bloat hasn't kicked in, Only on KoS expansion 50AA cap and so on.
    Soara2 likes this.
  7. Earar Well-Known Member

wiz are ST but can manage AoE also. look at their spells, they have some nice AoEs, and encounter spells.

How wiz solo on TLE, no idea .. back in the days they weren't the best soloers, They can kill stuff but are squishy so may lose health between each mob so have a slow kill time compared to necros or conjus and stuff.
    Soara2 likes this.
  8. Carynn Well-Known Member

I play on TLE. Most of the classes won't shine until you hit level 20+; up until then, wet noodle for all! Since you are a soloer, I would recommend sticking with necro (self-heals, good dps, tank pet) or if you want to go crazy, try playing a pally (lots of heals, tank class, okay dps) or zerker (less heals, tank class, okay dps), or the SK (tank class, a heal-type thing later on, good dps). You are going to find it challenging up until about level 10, then things will get into a groove. The main problem on FG is that the content outlevels you very quickly. The quests you get will be orange or red and you'll have to go to a different zone to do the green/blue/white ones again.

I also recommend starting in Darklight Woods or Frostfang Sea over the Isle of Refuge/Queen's Colony. You'll get better gear from the quests, which will help out a lot. DLW, to me, is smoother than FF, and less glaring white.

FYI, you will not be able to solo heroic dungeons on this server unless you are very well geared and several levels higher than them. The heroic dungeons still require grouping, thankfully (unlike live, which you can blow through with a merc). You shouldn't have any problems with overland solo bosses as an SK if you go with it.
    Soara2 likes this.
  9. Chris76 Member

Ok thanks for the replys, I am playing a Fury atm and enjoying it and I think I might play my wizard later and go back to my necro, so I may just rotate between the 3 and see which one sticks with me.

Question, being that I am completely new the TLE servers appeal to me more than the live servers, so that being said, should I just choose to stay on FG or go to the Stormhold one?
    Soara2 likes this.
  10. Carynn Well-Known Member

Fallen Gate. Stormhold is merging with Live.
    Soara2 likes this.
  11. Chris76 Member

12. Soara2 Well-Known Member

I like my sk and fury best. Fury is possible to be good at low levels, if you have played a few before. Otherwise it gets better around 44 I would say.
    Rhodris likes this.
  13. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

My two favs as well :D
    Soara2 likes this.
  14. Steelviper Active Member

From level 50 on, Necromancer gets a certain buff spell which should eliminate most of the out-of-power problems, while also constantly draining the health if you're not hitting something with your spells (which heals you with each spell instead). Just my personal experience, but I'd say Necromancer is one of the best solo toons, not so much on the low-power Time Locked servers, but still probably better than some other classes thanks to the pet choices.
    Thing with Everquest II is, especially on the TLE servers, you got to get real deep into the class you're playing to know what it's capable of, at that point you'll be shining. Fury on itself is a good stable healer class, however they tend to run out of power lot quicker than others, which might become a big problem during lower levels.
  15. Soara2 Well-Known Member

I have leveled 3 fury to 100 and never encountered a problem with running out of power. Mostly solo though. In groups where I was healing, no issue. However I was healing on a **** eq druid when clerics thought they were tanks and then raid healing on my own cleric, so I did have years of experience on mana conservation before this game.
    Rhodris likes this.
  16. Skadad Member

Different on TLE, run out of power all the time on my chars.
  17. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Again, I have played on tle as well. Not sure why people assume I haven't. I just chose not to stay there