Why doesn’t Daybreak employees post information on the official forums?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Zarnafien, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

I had to shut down discord, the constant notifications that were really not about any info from the devs was so very annoying. If I turned them off, I missed the important stuff. And I never really got any answers from the devs when they were on. I wish they would find one place where they actually communicated with folks. I know they get hammered with everyone asking them questions, so it's hard for them to wade through the chatter and get to the serious questions though.
    Kheldorm and Ceyllynn like this.
  2. Malleria Well-Known Member

If at all possible it'd help if some of the major things are passed along to the CS team as well. For example, since proving grounds launched there's been an ongoing issue of people opening EQ2 and having no characters at the character select screen. We're talking 4-5+ months of it happening. The fix is pretty simple, just keep hitting the up and down arrow keys and the characters will reappear. That information is repeated on these forums by players any time it gets asked, but CS is apparently blissfully unaware and keep giving people bad advice when they put in a petition/support ticket.
  3. Kenn Well-Known Member

They should dump this message board and stick to one message board so everyone gets the info.

They should also not have the devs messing with the boards. They should hire someone or group to handle communications.
  4. Faelynn Active Member

I could just see it now... they could call it something fancy, like Community Relations... yeah, that would be pretty cool.
  5. Uxtalzon Active Member

The issue is in reverse - it's what works best for Daybreak. But, if you're willing to actually listen...

Just Survive producer on Reddit has made more comments/replies in two days than this game's producer has made in over an entire year, on both forums, combined. It starts from the top, and there's no effort at all here. None. Yet, Just Survive is ironically clinging to the edge death and seems to be trying to claw its way back up, having less players than some EQ servers.

EQ2 existed before some media platforms did, and others weren't used so widespread when it came to gaming communities. As such, information should always always remain centralized on the forums, and then branch from it. Trying to introduce more media circles to old games is like giving your grandparents the latest smartphone. Chances are they will never use it.

Is there even anyone at Daybreak responsible for the community? That guy OneLetter or something claimed to be head of community management, but he's never bothered to post anywhere except to H1Z1.
  6. Lucus Well-Known Member

important information should always be on the forums, period, if the forums are too clunky they can be updated, hell you could even feedback the developers of discord and ask for code implementation that lets you login to the forums from there and when you post important info on discord (like a known bug people are asking about or a major issue like server issues etc) you can choose to post it on discord and as a forum thread at the same time in one posting via discord.

the only difference would be needing to login to the forums via discord and selecting a category and title for your posts here.

the major problem with discord IMHO is people can and do get banned for the littlest things, that makes it a poor information tool for players. a friend got banned from discord for something small and they couldn't work out later how to unban him so he got told to make a new discord account.

here on the forums the rules are clear and little things get you a warning, not a straight ban.

enforcing the rules is one thing, but moderation on discord should be the same structure as the forums, otherwise people can get banned for any reason the developers like instead of only begin able to ban if something is ether serious enough or someone has already had enough warnings/strikes.

discord was probably one of feldon's best ideas, but it's only good for part of the population, people should be able to look here first for the important information (downtimes, major bugs and issues the devs are aware of) and discord as a secondary tool for more info on stuff that isn't major along with major issues posted over there as well..
    Quillyne, Shmogre, Prissetta and 2 others like this.
  7. Drona Well-Known Member

Discord is fine but I get confused by it easily when too many people started to talk all at once! Worse still ,they all talk about different things. I think its aimed at young people who are fast and has lot of energy to keep track of multiple things but I am old and prefer the slow pace of forums where you can take your time to read at leisure and respond!

Oddly enough I prefer EQ2 as a game is since its "slow". You can take your time to do things. There is time for foreplay unlike modern MMO where its all about the "speed" and the mantra is get in and get out fast as you can and then move on. This is why I believe most EQ2 players prefer forums to discord.
    Ceyllynn and Lucus like this.
  8. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I commend your thoughts and opinions echoed in this and your previous post. It did raise a question for me. At the risk of targeting the iconic expression, "I assume," I think a lot of the player base assume that you and the devs are in constant communication about issues and that you, as Community Relations help keep the player base informed or relay those posted concerns back to the devs. However, given the evidence suggested by the facts (devs often wasting time posting in the forums or involved in Discord--often several of them at the same time), us not seeing information posted on the forums that is discussed in Discord, it seems to suggest exactly the opposite. If that's not taking place, it might be an opportunity to discuss with the Devs/you why that infrastructure isn't in place and more importantly, actually used. Given resources you have available, it might be a better use of each group's time to actually focus on what each of you ought to be doing versus what is currently taking place. Just a thought, but it might be time to move away from "what we've always done," because it seems clear to all of us the current system, while not broken, is certainly in need of some focus and clarity.
  9. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

roxxlyy... remember what we said about lack of communication? this past week was a great example.
    Mizgamer62 and Prissetta like this.
  10. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

You mean the holiday week between Xmas and New Years?
    Roxxlyy likes this.
  11. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

where a simple 30 second post saying "hey! you have double XP from this date, to this date!", like they have done before would have sufficed? yep. someone was on the forums, deleting posts etc.
    Xillean and Mizgamer62 like this.
  12. Iglu Active Member

I guess we know where EQ2 is on the priority list.
    Ceyllynn and Mizgamer62 like this.
  13. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

We've known that for awhile.

True, DBG-MOD-1 was on long enough to threaten me with a forum ban :p
  14. Dude Well-Known Member

When this thread gets deleted, does that lower my post count?
    Gubba Bump, Tekka and Ceyllynn like this.
  15. Castegyre Well-Known Member

Here's how I look at it. If they can't hold themselves to their own standards from years past, let alone the standards any number of other companies seem to be able to hold themselves to right now, then why should I bother being upset about their failings? It's easier to just expect them to fail and move on.
  16. Tekka Well-Known Member

It does not lower your post count, however, likes you received are subtracted!

:D /helpful
    Ceyllynn likes this.
  17. Sikkun Member

If only someone invented a system that allowed companies to share news, content, notifications, all while providing a platform for open discussion. All without 5-6 accounts and different pages to keep up with.

I think this happened back in the 90's, when companies had websites and hosted their own forums...but luckily now we can look at the website, Facebook, Twitter, official forums, reddit, and discord to get our information.

But 5 different systems is now seen as the easier option.......
  18. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

A closed wallet speaks louder than words.
    Steelviper, Tkia, Ceyllynn and 2 others like this.
  19. Iglu Active Member

I have been taking my EQ2 conversations to a different forum where the moderation is better let us say :).
    dirgenoobforreal and Mizgamer62 like this.
  20. Xillean Well-Known Member

I have to say I am really dissapointed in you guys daybreak, while I do appreciate the double xp, the fact no one could be bothered to send out a email letting people know or even announce it here on the forums speaks volumes to me.

This is something Roxxlyy that should never happen, ever.

I am not blaming you and I really did appreciate your earlier input in this thread but the above example is what many of us are talking about. You cant tell me no one at Daybreak wasn't available to simply spend 5 mins or so making at least a announcement here on the forums if not emailing people about the double xp.

I will say it once more, we need communication here on these very forums, not discord or twitter or Facebook but here. And if not here at least via email, I nor anyone else should feel like we need to join 3 other services on top of the forums just to have a chance to get info.
    Tkia, Errrorr, Quillyne and 5 others like this.