beating a dead horse or putting a bug out there

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Buddie, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Buddie New Member

I could not see a thread that this really fit and I don't post much so figured I would try here. I know the idea of an annual gathering is one Daybreak has appeared to have canned....even when it was said to abandon Vegas and the high dollar contests and do them where the offices are to minimize cost. I was a one of the people who went to talk to devs and go to panels meet players and not do a 3 day drunk in Vegas( I did have fun though). That being said I have a request ....Could Daybreak please do an event for the 20th anniversary in 2019. I have been playing since Aug of 1999 move to EQ2 after getting free copy in New Orleans in 2004, and have people I have kept up with even when they left and I stayed I have always found others to step in and keep the game fun for me but I miss the fan gatherings by any name. I went almost every year from 2004 until the last one. I could walk into the event and see people from before and meet others from my server and others. this is getting to be a rambling rant ...time to just say it once more

I know an annual event will probably never be a reality again but PLEASE consider a 20th anniversary gathering. pick a city/ location that works for Daybreak and players go back to the old format of social events (costume contest ,DJ / karaoke party) and panels no high dollar comps .. but events for in game stuff and bragging rights....sometimes the old ways are the best ways.
    Ekic, Majesty, Palarran and 3 others like this.
  2. rutro Well-Known Member

Good idea :)
    Prissetta and Majesty like this.
  3. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I did this in UO and ended up traveling well over 6000 miles round trip to get there, it was fun but nobody from EA/Origin showed up so it ended up basically being a player meet/greet which was not worth the cost to me, all they did was have a happy hour one evening of a 4 day "event", everything else was cancelled because EA/Origin did not show up as planned.

Cyrrena
  4. ColbyJack Well-Known Member

I am so incredibly sad that I missed out on Fan Faires, especially since this year has been one where I would actually have the money to be able to go.
    :oops:

I would love for them to hold a sort of event, but as Cyrrena pointed out, I'm leery of fan-made events just because it tends to be so hit-and-miss.
    Prissetta and Ceyllynn like this.
  5. Buddie New Member

That concern ,player run meet and greet vs Daybreak supported event , is why I posted. Player run events for servers / guilds can and have been done well but to do one for the GAME is not possible without Daybreak / dev support and involvement . I posted this in the hope of stirring community support for a 20th anniversary event by Daybreak. The most likely just a meet greet some panels for information maybe a dj / karaoke night event and of course a last night dinner / wrap up and cosplay .....nothing like the later fan fairs with 20 to 30 thousand dollar worth of event prizes for playing and restrictive cosplay event but Fan Faire like 2004 through 20011 (the last one at Balliys) where the focuses was on fun and learning where the game was going and giving our feedback, cosplay for all who wanted ( judged in 2 categories pro and amateur) not prescreen and edited before event ...all get to walk stage them announce judges picks and narrow it down but ALL get to walk stage...make it fun again... make it about the game again...make it about the Average player. and they will come.

Please Daybreak just a 20th Anniversary Event Just one Weekend........
    Dude likes this.
  6. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

sadly I just can't see it, even if I think it's a cool idea.
  7. Twizle Member

This is a great idea, I started playing the last year of fan faires, and missed out on going to it. Would love to meet up w/ devs and players alike. EQ2 definitely has a unique, and dedicated players. I would definitely go!
  8. Twinbladed Well-Known Member

They are not trying to promote the game in that fashion as its popularity vs cost is not a good marketing strategy. The devs may care about the game but in reality Daybreak is just a business.
  9. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

You could probably email somebody at Columbus Nova and see if they would be willing to toss DB support into the ring if you got the ball rolling, ultimately it would be their decision anyway.

Cyrrena