(FG) Class question.

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by LowFi, Aug 15, 2017.

1. LowFi New Member

Haven't played since Naggy was still up and running.

I'm coming back and starting on FG. I saw a post around here stating that the server is flooded with a lot of the same classes.

So my question is, out of these classes below, which are going to be competent soloers, not flooded, and will be wanted in groups?

Monk/Bruiser, Dirge/Troub? Swash/Assassin? I'm not sure of the exact rule set and if there are even AA's on this server but would a melee inquisitor be sufficient at soloing?

You guys tell me, you're the experts.
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

There are no AA on Fallen Gate.. and won't be for 4+ months, at least.
    Melee priest don't really exist, as such, yet. There is zero benefit and you lose the spell ranged auto-attack which doesn't get paused by spell casts.
  3. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

I didn't try other classes, but I rolled a Channeler. There seems to be many of us. And at level 20 I'm a non-pathetic healer with % heals that mean something. I never played one before but I'm enjoying it. I'd recommend rolling a few characters on a live server first, and getting to level 20 (maybe at Frostfang Sea or Darklight woods) and comparing which is the most useful without AA's at that level, if you want a scientific way to tell what you won't have regrets about.I suggest the live test because progress from 1-20 is much slower on FG.

Keep in mind that if you have friends you want to play with, it's just easier to roll a character of the same alignment (good/evil) or travel gets icky.

I see a lot of shadowknights but I expected that, they tend to be beastly even at low levels.
  4. Carynn Well-Known Member

There is a lack of monk/bruisers and scouts other than BLs. Soloing is terrible bc of xp. Join an active guild for best grouping options.
  5. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

I'm in a big casual guild, the highest numbers of characters are

65 SKs - hands down the winner in the numbers race!

Next classes (in the 40s range)
    Conji / Necro (1:1 unless noted)
    Fury/Warden
    Pally

In the 25-39 range:
    BL
    Illy
    Zerker
    warlock / wizard (29/31)
    Inquisitor
    Ranger

Relatively few, below 25:
    Swashy/Brig
    Mystic/Defiler (14/18)
    Monk/Bruiser (18/15)
    Guardian
    Coercer
    Assassin
    Templar
    channeler

In my experience Templar is hard to level and doesn't have reliable heals until very high levels. If you like a challenge, go for it though.

If you want to do something rare and you enjoy it, my suggestion is to go with Monk/Bruiser. But otherwise I know for a fact that Coercer is OP at low levels and then gets much harder to play after about level 85. Of the rare ones, I enjoyed Coercer the most when I was leveling on live. I think it's overlooked because the pet is such a problem after Charm becomes useless.

As interesting as this is to see as a list, in the end, you should always play what you enjoy most.
  6. LowFi New Member

Thanks so much for that list. I really appreciate it. In your opinion, which flavor of bruiser is the way to go for this server? Also, is there a reason they're not being played much?
  7. Alenna Well-Known Member

which guild is this? Filthy Casuals?
  8. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what difference it makes, so I'll opt not to say. I'm not sure it would be wise since I complained earlier about my FG guild and I might jump ship. They're decent, but I want just a tad more organization while still being left to do the questing I prefer, most of the time. Really all I need is a day of the week for each level range and a stated goal dungeon so I can get the quests and be ready. There's such a thing as "too casual" on FG, lol ;)

Quoting @LowFi: "Thanks so much for that list. I really appreciate it. In your opinion, which flavor of bruiser is the way to go for this server? Also, is there a reason they're not being played much? "

Very welcome. :) I'd ask in the fighter subcategory whether people like monk or bruiser better and why. Probably a few who've played both because until relatively recently, they'd have had to change classes if they betrayed. I've never played either though.

One notable thing I remember about monks: About halfway through the Skyshrine expansion, you'd see monks soloing there. Can't say I saw other classes able to do that, not until it became out of date. If you enjoy the brawlers, go for it.
  9. Zenji Well-Known Member

In Vannila there is not much of a difference between the two. Monk gives a raid wide Haste/Cast speed buff vs. Bruiser give a % increase to Taunts, Combat Arts and Avoidance. Monk's defensive temps root them in place, the Bruiser's do not. Bruiser has 2 blue AOEs the Monk has one. (until KoS).

In the next xpac (DoF) Monk gets Tsunami, one of the best tank cooldowns in the game. The Bruiser does not get anything comparable.

Brawler's can tank anything in the game right now. The biggest down side is AOE threat on big packs of mobs can be tricky.
  10. LowFi New Member

Thanks for that. Monk it is then.