Need some help using the layout editor

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Katz, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Katz Well-Known Member

If someone is an expert at with the layout editor, I could use some help. I need to place some items in my house and I'm not sure how to do it with the editor. I would like someone to place them and at the same time tell me how to do it so I can learn how. I can pay with a krono or by gifting something from the marketplace. Send me a personal tell here on the forums.
  2. Aneylee Well-Known Member

Hi Katz,
    I am by no means an expert, but can help out. Send me a tell on Aneylee on Skyfire and I would be happy to help you. Maybe we can figure it out :)
  3. Katz Well-Known Member

I should have said that I'm on Halls of Fate. :p Would help to know the server.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I use JesDyr's editor and Sennen's editor, but I mainly only use them for grouping things and moving things (especially in a group ;->) and as a fancier version of the Notepad Method. I tried the whole With/Without/Working bit, and I guess I still don't get it. /shrug

I'm on Halls of Fate, but I'm not sure how much use I'd be. :-/

Basically, what I do is toss stuff down and do a lot of arranging by hand, until/unless I need to do something using pure number-crunching (especially if the hand stuff isn't working properly), like fixing seams and making sure things are STRAIGHT (unless, of course, I'm using Pitch on something, where it's not allowed...sorry, Shan, I still hate that thing X-P). ;->

Uwk
    Moena, Merriel and santargria like this.
  5. Katz Well-Known Member

I'm doing the things by hand right now but if I could duplicate a group of items and have them line up on the wall properly it would speed things up and make them match better. However, I'm not sure how complicated it would be to do what I want. Might be easier by hand. I know just enough about using the editor to be dangerous. :eek:
  6. Merriel Well-Known Member

The first thing you need to figure out is if you just want the items duplicated, in which case you could use the modify group tool...or if you want them duplicated but also flipped, in which case you would want to use the mirror function. These two functions work in completely different ways.

When I was working on Pvsspvss' Mistmoore Crags Estate, I wanted a set of stairs on the opposite side of the room to look identical to the stairs on the first side of the room, but because the stairs curl around, simply duplicating them and rotating them would not work. I had to use the mirror function so that both sets of stairs would face into the room the same direction, but flipped to go up opposite directions. This function is a bit more involved than the group modify function, and I'm not sure I could properly explain it so you would understand how to do it. It still confuses me, somewhat.

If you are setting up seating areas that are identical to each other, but in opposite corners of the room, the group modify tool may be all you would need as you could just rotate the items around a single point. It all depends on how you want those items duplicated. To rotate the entire group of objects, you would need to find the center point and rotate the group of items around that.

To use Group Modify, group all the items you want moved, switch to the group tab associated with those specific items, then highlight the entire group and right click and click Group Modify. It will pop up a new window in which you want to input your center location and the angle for how far you want to rotate the items...to rotate them so they are in exact opposite corners of the room, you would input 180 degrees.

I would recommend going into an empty house, putting a few items down, and testing this method out before actually performing this function in the house you are decorating. It really isn't that difficult once you know what you are doing. :)
    Moena, Katz and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  7. JesDyr Well-Known Member

Is this the portal house ?
  8. Katz Well-Known Member

Hi JesDyr! Yes it is. Thanks so much for sharing it with me. I absolutely love it. I've changed a few things but the layout is basically what you sent me minus my changes.

I'm making progress tweaking it. I replaced the red tiles with green ones and I'm replacing the LON picture areas with more of the portal house sets. I'm a total amateur with the layout editor and have mostly used it to make multiple objects the same size and to tilt things a certain number of degrees. I used the editor to make the round tiles the correct sizes and tilted them with it in a group. However, I didn't know how to use the editor to place the groups of four on the walls. I'm just hand placing the round tiles now and will do the same with the books that go with them. I'm not happy with how they are lining up yet in all places so I will tweak it until it looks properly placed. :)

When I loaded the layout some of the floor tiles, walls, and some of the redwood blocks around the ceiling didn't load. I've hand placed most of the missing ones around the ceiling and they all look fine except at the door. I'll have to play with those a bit more to make them look like they should.

I quickly realized that the floor in that place is a bit tricky to work with. I can do the with/without/working OK now, especially after watching the recently posted video how to. I've used it before but not routinely enough to be comfortable with it. I moved the entire room with the house portals a short distance west and up by a pretty good amount so that I could put in the floor well above the raised medallion on the house floor. I tried different types of items for the floor and finally settled on a configuration that didn't glitch on me and matched the decor.

I've really enjoyed working with the layout and learning to use the layout editor to make things work. It amazes me how some of you all can use it so expertly to make the lovely and complicated structures.

[IMG] ,
  9. JesDyr Well-Known Member

It has been a long time but .. that room was created mainly using duplicate, rotate group, and replace.Make sure you have the replace UIDs checked in settings and that you have plenty of the items you will need in the house's crate.

The first thing you need to know is the exact center of the room (which you changed). You should be able to find two walls opposite of each other and just subtract one from the other to find the center point. This value is what you rotate items around so you will want to note it.

At this point I would create the portal panel on one of the easier walls like the north wall (rotation 0). I believe ended up with a LON painting on that wall but it is where I created the design. What you can do is find all items on one of the panels and create a group from that (use diff).

Go to the group created above, you should notice all the items have the same rotation that is likely a multiple of 18. Each wall section was a duplicate of the one next to it that was rotated 18 degrees around the center of the room. What you want to do is select all the items, then Right click and select "Duplicate". This will create a copy of the items and the Notes column should say "Added by Duplicate" for all the new items. At this point I will edit the notes for the new items to something like "Copy1" (all that matters is it is easy to tell them apart). You can change all the notes at once by selecting the rows, right clicking and selecting replace. Enter what you want in the Notes textbox and click "ok".

Now select the copies, right click and select "Group Mod". This opens the Modify Group window. What you want to do is enter the center point of the room as "Point to rotate around" and set the angle to rotate to be either 18 or -18 (negative value should be counter clockwise If I remember correctly). Now click "Rotate".(repeat this for how ever many spots you want to skip)

If you included the actual portals in the group, you can now use the Replace function to put the correct portal in that spot. First find the correct portal in the crate tab, and copy its itemID. Next go back to the group and select the portal you want to replace's row, right click and select "Replace". On the replace window, enter the correct portal's itemid in the ItemID textbox and click OK.

You can now Save the group to your Working Layout and load it in game to check to see if everything worked correctly.
    Katz, Moena, Merriel and 1 other person like this.