NEW Video! "How to Download and Set Up Layout Editor"

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Ealdian, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Ealdian Well-Known Member

Great NEWS!

After a long struggle I was finally able to create a “How to Download and Set Up the Layout Editor” video HERE!

I will be hanging around the house for the next couple of days and I hope to create a few more.

If anyone wants an in-game book with most of the script, I can make one for them...and I am also offering one on one and small group lessons on the Skyfire server, no crafting or leveling necessary.

Many thanks to Jesdyr and Jazabelle, whose videos I leaned on and learned from in making my video. I hope that my video might help others create to their imagination's content.

I am so proud to be a part of one of the strongest, most stable communities in the game, and I can't wait to see what's next.

Ealdian Cearnan, The Architect

but you can call me Eli, all my friends do.
    Sharann, santargria, Faeonara and 8 others like this.
  2. Febrith Well-Known Member

What a lovely accent you have Eli - to my untrained ear you sound like you're from the north of America, maybe New York? Thanks for the fun presentation of that video, I really enjoyed all the effort you put into it!
  3. JesDyr Well-Known Member

Nice video. I have never liked the diff workflow, but it works.
  4. Gretel Well-Known Member

Sounds Midwest to me, maybe upper Midwest like Wisconsin? Definitely (probably) not New York. Awesome video, Eli!
  5. Wizzam Well-Known Member

Yay Eli!
    I'm super glad you're doing this. Lots of people will appreciate it, I'm sure!
    Ocarinah, Merriel, Gretel and 2 others like this.
  6. Faeonara Well-Known Member

Thank you so much Eli for doing this. My friend and guild -mate can now follow these simple instructions to get started using the editor :)
    You really did a masterful job of teaching the simple basics of getting started with the editor Your instructions were so clear and concise that anyone wanting to begin using it can set it up and get going in a few minutes .
    I am looking forward to your next video .
    Ocarinah, Merriel, Gretel and 2 others like this.
  7. elflover Well-Known Member

Ok so I'm struggling with the editor and I want to kick it in the face... Ealdian I need to know when your on for help and/or some instructional books lol and no worries I'm on same server. Be warned I will pokes ya if I see you on. I get the with saving and the without and after that it goes down hill.:eek:
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

To tell the perfect truth, I just never really saw the point to the whole With/Without/Working bit, so I've never really used it. But I don't have any issues with the math involved, so maybe those files are a way to keep everything straight? /shrug

Could also be a way of preventing messing up the original layout file?

Uwk
  9. elflover Well-Known Member

Yeah but I want to see if i can get it to work, atm I know its user error and i think I'm missing something. And I was practicing in a empty house well, had a few tiles in it trying to work it so I wouldn't mess any other projects up.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

That helps; plus, it's a lot easier to follow what's going on if there's nothing else in the room/house. :)

Uwk
    Moena, Ocarinah and Merriel like this.
  11. Katz Well-Known Member

After watching this video, I used the with/without/working on a house that was giving me fits. Thanks, this was easy to follow and very helpful.
    Moena, Ocarinah, Merriel and 2 others like this.
  12. JesDyr Well-Known Member

With / Without / Working are just the filenames that the community adopted (I think it was Jazabelle that solidified them as the common names). In my early guides I had use other filenames, but to reduce confusion I adopted those names in later guides.

The problem was; How could a user easily find the specific item they wanted to manipulate without sorting through possible hundreds of the same item? My answer was to compare two layouts and show the user what items had been changed. The workflow I decided on was to have the user open a layout in the editor (With), and then select another layout to compare it to (without). The editor would then create a new layout (working) with just the items from the original layout that had changed or did not exist in the layout it was being compared to.

Once they added the unique IDs to layouts, it shifted the editor to using groups and removed the original "New from Diff" and replaced it with the current "Diff" function.
    Moena, Ocarinah, Merriel and 4 others like this.
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ahh! I must've come in after they did the unique IDs...I get the logic now. :)

Brilliant! :D

Uwk
  14. Ealdian Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for the slow response but things have been hectic here.

Sadly, my schedule is erratic to say the least. I will try to be on Sunday morning/noonish the 13th. After that it is hit or miss when or whether I will be on for the rest of the week. But look for me on Friday the 18th.

I travel for a living and I never know when I'll be home. Hotel wifis being what they are, it is never certain I'll be able to log on.
    Moena, Ocarinah, Merriel and 2 others like this.
  15. elflover Well-Known Member

Got your message and thank you I'll try to get ya on the 18th, 13th I'm going to be busy its my birthday, yay CAKE!
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Woot! :D

Happy Day! :)

Uwk
  17. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

Great video, I'm sure lots will appreciate it. Can't wait to see more.
  18. Merriel Well-Known Member

Using Diff is so much easier than using the whole list of items in the house, and I really like using it. I just get so lost when trying to work with all the files.
  19. Trixwynter Well-Known Member

I just cant seem to get it. Give me Shakespeare and I will gleefully delve into the different meanings behind a sonnent...but this is all an alien language to me. Seriously, I just don't get it. But thats ok. I dont mind placing by hand and having small imperfections. I still love and am amazed at what we can create with just some fooling around and a healthy dose of imagination and inspiration.
    Moena, Ocarinah, Gretel and 2 others like this.
  20. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

"All the files" meaning With, Without, and Working? Me too. ;->

I know pretty much exactly what the coordinates mean, at least as far as placement goes, and if I don't, I compare them to the coords of where I am. Match 'em up, easy-peasy. ;->

Uwk
    Moena, Ocarinah, Gretel and 1 other person like this.