Days of Summer!

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Xtaroth, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Ratza Well-Known Member

How is "playing" this game for FREE a snub? You can wear most items, you can level to 100, you can have master spells, and so on. IMO....FTP gets too much for free.
    GrunEQ, Juraiya, Snikkety and 4 others like this.
  2. Anaogi Well-Known Member

This event is welcomed, no question. I can finally start getting my alts in better shape now! (Plus I'm looking forward to the Mara home...)
    GrunEQ, Juraiya, Snikkety and 6 others like this.
  3. Ratza Well-Known Member

^5....I too feel like this is a small step in the right direction for those of us with neglected alts and for newer/returning players. Hands down I think this is one of the best moves by the devs in a long time.

As for the complaints by those about the 50 tithe....those with over 50 earned that tithe before the devs nerfed xp in all the better leveling/grinding zones. Those nerfs left the "majority" of player base with no options to ever earn the mass amounts of tithe xp needed to ever see level 50.
    Juraiya, santargria, Anaogi and 5 others like this.
  4. Kioske Well-Known Member

And $14 for a 12 pack of beer? What kind of crappy beer are you drinking!?
    Snikkety and Dude like this.
  5. Kielex Well-Known Member

Yet all they do is completely delete threads that contain idea's that don't match the planning of the devs. Duck mount thread? YEAH! Serious issues that kill the playerbase? Nah, not interested.
    Azian likes this.
  6. Ryuken Active Member

Good job Devs!
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Anaogi likes this.
  7. The_Real_Wurm Well-Known Member

1) None of us believe that any of your friends are quitting.

2) The event isn't a serious issue or killing the playbase.

3) That thread was toxic and I'm not surprised it got removed.
    Ummmyeh, Snikkety, Dude and 2 others like this.
  8. Tekka Well-Known Member

Correct, I didn't list specific games for a few reasons. One being that in the past, it's been heavily moderated. The second being that it then turns the conversation to 'I feel' or 'I like' about the games rather than an objective comparison. (which is a perfectly valid reason to, or not to, play games, just not what's being discussed)

Two games, which can be most easily compared, I have played extensively with a hybrid subscription/free to play model don't require a subscription for basic quality of life functions like full mail and broker access, nor is chat restricted. These things are not considered 'perks' they're just part of the game.

Some perks are similar or equivalent across the games like rested xp, movement bonus, extra earned currency, increased bag or bank space.

Some things that are on the perks list for EQ2 (beyond the basic stuff like mail, broker and chat) that are available to all in other games: access to all tiers of skills, spells and abilities. access to gear. full guild functionality (though in one free accounts can't be auto promoted in case of inactivity). unbiased access to customer service.

Further one has full account unlocks for cash shop purchases, plus a much more generous stipend, instead of bind on equip per character purchases. The other has account wide wardrobe unlocks, mounts are sent per character (exception: holiday mounts purchased with special currency, which later opened up to purchase with credits). While there is no stipend in the second, all players are rewarded for cash purchases, with subscribers getting a bit extra.

Those are just a few things off the cuff.

To that other post:

So far as I know, WoW has an unlimited free trial that is restricted to level 20, and a token system similar to PLEX (or krono in EQ2), not a free to play or hybrid model.

The fact that you consider a single game, AoC, to have a worse subscription model than EQ2 does not mean other games don't have better. That's just some weird logic.

I did specifically say I wasn't speaking for all games for a reason. I haven't played them all myself. The games I HAVE played DO have better models for subscribers, non-subscribers, and cash shops. And since I haven't played them all, I didn't state that EQ2 has the WORST EVER.
    Castegyre likes this.
  9. Kioske Well-Known Member

I fully agree with you here, they are too quick to ever remove any criticism from the forums. They're even quicker to get rid of it in Discord. They need to have some thicker skin when it comes to this. That other thread wasn't getting toxic, it hadn't even devolved into name calling yet. Also, if it is becoming toxic, how about removing the toxic people instead of the criticism?
    Kielex likes this.
  10. The_Real_Wurm Well-Known Member

14 bucks is expensive, you get a whole case of good beer here for less. #thingsgreataboutlivingingermany
    Ummmyeh likes this.
  11. Regolas Well-Known Member

They'll have to find some way of getting those of us that miss the summer event to get up to speed next xpac, otherwise it's just another seperator between haves and have nots.

My toons are way way behind the "top level heroic" area that I'm always used to being in. I've had enough of this xpac and quit 3 months ago. Waiting to see what the new one is like before committing
  12. Anaogi Well-Known Member

Well yeah, but you don't have to bring it in from overseas... ;)
  13. The_Real_Wurm Well-Known Member

14. Kielex Well-Known Member

Interesting how week 2 rewards are being discovered...
  15. Ryuken Active Member

?
  16. Malleria Well-Known Member

Haha, well there had to be SOMETHING bugged, c'mon ;)
  17. Conifur Well-Known Member

you need to drink better beer :)
  18. Merriel Well-Known Member

So, I see people comparing the membership price of this game to physical items you purchase in real life, but that's like comparing apples to oranges. Beer, cigarettes, and the like are tangible items I can physically touch, though honestly I don't smoke nor do I drink. The game is virtual reality, intangible and physically untouchable.

The value comes from the amount of time and effort put out to create this virtual world, but then copied over and resold for an infinite number of times. In addition to the coding of the game, you have administrative costs, costs for servers to run the platform on, costs for development of new content, etc. While I agree that these gaming companies need to be able to keep the lights on, when you consider how many times over they are selling the same copy of the same expansions over and over again...are they really not making enough to pay the bills, or are the gaming companies filling their wallets while they sit back and laugh at all the 'fools' who are so easily willing to part with their money?

While I am willing to spend money on a monthly subscription, and one expansion a year, I always keep in mind how much I'm spending on this form of entertainment, for the simple reason..."Here today, gone tomorrow". If this game sunsets, everything I have invested in it goes up in a puff of smoke, with no chance of ever being recompensed for my losses. Yes, I love this game and everything about it, and I don't mind paying the same price for this game as I would to go to the movie theater once a month, but any further spending, I need to justify before actually spending the money.

As for the free to play aspect of the game, I agree, EQII has the best free to play model of any mmorpg, though that is fast going by the wayside and, imo, will be more harmful to the game than many people and the company realizes. There was a time when I simply didn't have the funds to subscribe and there was nothing I could do about it, but knowing that I could play this game for free during my times of hardship is one of the main reasons I chose/choose to sub when I can afford it. Taking that aspect of the game away from F2P may just cost the company subscriptions later on when people can afford to pay, because you never know when hardships may hit and you have to quit subbing.

Most of the changes they've made, while I might not agree with them, at least they are 'live-able', but one aspect of the game I think they are making a huge mistake is that when a subbed player goes back to F2P, their characters are stripped of their 'Prestige' gear. Ok, so this gear is intended to be used by only those who pay a sub, but when you strip a character of gear, it makes them virtually unplayable, and only causes aggravation to the player whose characters have been stripped. This would not make me want to re-subscribe, especially if I haven't the means to do so. Instead, I'd go off to some other game and leave this one behind.

Being that they were paying a sub when they obtained said gear, I think it would go a long ways towards good-will to the player base, if they would allow the character to continue wearing the gear...but if the player removes the gear of their own volition...then they could not re-equip it unless they re-sub. This would make a whole lot more sense and give these players more of an incentive to re-sub as soon as they could do so. Then the player only has themselves to blame if they remove the gear and can't re-equip it.
    GrunEQ, Juraiya and Prissetta like this.
  19. Kielex Well-Known Member

Just imagine doing for 2-8 hours everyday and then it just given away, and this is only 5 minutes.
    This is why I would think some sort of compensation would be fair.
  20. Dude Well-Known Member

There will be no compensation. You got to enjoy something for a while, now it's time to move on. That's the way these things work. Over and over and over again.