Am I who???

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Ocarinah, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Febrith Well-Known Member

Awww ya big softie, welcome and /hug!
    Faeonara, Ocarinah, Moena and 3 others like this.
  2. Wizzam Well-Known Member

I was in a decorating slump when Gracee gave me a tour of her hall. I went back into mine and copied a lot of her into mine. I made sure she knew tho. It wasn't a house I was publishing as my own. It was just a simple, three person hall that barely got used. She was amazingly understanding and kept poking her head in to see the progress. Her work is incredible and I love how it turned out.
    Faeonara, Ocarinah, Moena and 5 others like this.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

One thing I do love about the game is, since all the intellectual property actually does belong to someone else (first SOE, now DBG), we can do all sorts of stuff without needing to worry about actual lawsuits on top of "just" nasty drama. Still, if someone goes through a lot of effort on a design, or suggests something really cool, it's massively polite to have a shout-out, at least, and massively rude to deliberately not to (i.e., claim it's all original ["Yeah, and my BFF, Morgan Fairchild, helped out with it, too. Yeah, that's the ticket. ;)"]), like what happened to Cheribomb. :-/

So, may there always be honor among us thieves! :D

Uwk
    Faeonara, Ocarinah, Gretel and 5 others like this.
  4. JesDyr Well-Known Member

So yah .. I have been away from this community for a long time and I certainly don't know the current drama.

There isn't much I can say that hasn't already been said, Those players who spend the time to try to help out the community will always have my support.

also .. If anyone wants to steal my designs that hasn't already, go ahead ;)
    Febrith, Katz, Faeonara and 8 others like this.
  5. Wizzam Well-Known Member

JesDyr-
    Gotta be honest, I've tried to pinch a few of your ideas, but it's darn near impossible! You're way too talented with your editor. I love your work and miss the inspiration you give us all. Hurry up with real life and come back to us!
    Ps, sorry for the edits. Trying to do this on a phone I'm not familiar with isn't proving easy lol
    Febrith, Faeonara, Ocarinah and 5 others like this.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

[derail]
    I love my "dumb" phone. All it can do is be protected from drops (it's an old flip phone; have all the fun in the world playing "Old Star Trek Communicator" with it), make phone calls, and take pictures, especially when my SIM card isn't full. Of course, it's so old that when I try talking to anyone about how to get the pics off my phone and stored elsewhere (emails [which don't work], direct cable transference, etc.), they look at it, look at me, and usually drop behind their desk to roll about on the floor, laughing. :(
    [/derail]

Uwk
    wondering about getting a Samsung Galaxy 8 S...
    Ocarinah and Prissetta like this.
  7. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for all the hugs and support. Yesterday I didn't cry once and feeling really good today besides being very tired but that is hubby's fault for wanting to play planetside 2 too long. Few more funny cat videos and maybe I will be back on track. :)

I loved my flip phone but there was a deal a few years back from Sam's Club for phones for 1 penny and I was hooked. I couldn't go back to a flip phone or Sam's Club. Costco treats their employees much much better. Not hooked so much that when I am at dinner I am only looking at my phone which I find to be rude to others. Hubby has Samsung S8 and likes it but not much different from S7.
  8. Yachiru-san Well-Known Member

Honestly Oaky,

I don't know how anyone could ever be upset with you, you are so funny and loving towards other people.

And decorators steal other decorators ideas for homes and guild halls ALL the time. I've done it (credits to Raainy, Shanette, Wizzam, Oaky, Cheribomb, Jazabelle, & Metamarra and so many other crazy talented people I stole ideas from :p), and 90% of all decorators I know do it too, it's no big deal or surprise at this point, and honestly, your "friend" (in my opinion) should have taken it as a compliment, I would be completely over joyed to see my work in someone else's home! Now granted there should have been some kind of sign or book saying where the ideas came from and giving credit.

For all the other decorators and Videographers, don't let other people make you feel bad about how you decorate a home or how you choose to make a video! If you are color blind and want to be a decorator, like me, GO FOR IT, as long as you feel great about it, even if it's a puke colored house, it's yours not theirs *speaks from experience*! No one else can tell you not to do something because if it makes you happy that is all that matters.

I don't want to see less of anyone of you because of a bad experience or something stupid someone said, everyone here is incredible and doesn't have to take anyone else bull, worst case put the meanies on ignore, and save your beautiful selves from all the stress :p

~ !Much love and Hugs to ALL!~ <3

~*~Sokaran Yachiru-san, Videographer~*~
  9. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

We all steal stuff but at a certain point, how much is not okay? I don't know exact percent that was copied but 80% was a number I heard thrown out there through discussions with a few people. In Cheribomb's case, I think her design of her guild hall was 100% copied (sorry if I remembered that wrong). Cheribomb gets hired to do decorating projects or at least I know she has sold skinning of specific houses on Stormhold and I am not sure if my friend does too (never asked her about that). I do know that the person who was copying my friend's work does get paid for decorating. This person mentioned she did decorate someone else's house...which one on the list I am not sure. So was this person paid to decorate the house and she stole friend's work...not sure. Like I said before I never talked with this person about it cuz I wasn't and still am not in a good place to have that conversation.

Whenever I give tours to people of my houses/guild hall I always point out the things I am proud of and say I didn't copy this from anyone. But I also point out the cool stuff I have stolen. I might not remember who was the original person I copied from (might not even be original person since lots of us steal stuff) but I do say it is stolen. I really wish I could keep track of which house and decorator stuff stolen was from but I have too bad of a memory. I have lots of screenies where I try to save name as the house name, server, decorator, etc. but then I have 50 million times more that I still haven't gone through to rename. The unnamed screenies are not organized either and have had many computers since I started playing so all I have now is one big hot mess.

Not everyone has to feel the exact same way about things like this. We don't know what others have gone through in life that might influence how they feel about certain situations. I know I put my heart and soul into places I decorate and others do to. I am proud when people steal stuff from me even if I don't get credit. But I might be hurt if someone I don't know copied a huge percentage of my work and never did one thing to compliment me (on forums or in game through mail or tells or mention they copied someone else's ideas (don't have to say was mine). I honestly don't know cuz it has never happened to me. Then know there is a possibility they were paid by someone else to decorate, ugh?!? Complicated!!! The only thing that I know was my friend was not happy and was never asked if it was okay. Other people were not happy. Do I support my friend by removing the video even if she didn't ask? Of course I do. Do I want to make sure I don't hurt others as well? Of course I do. Even if I don't know the person that is hurting, I would help support them. We need to celebrate and support each other cuz we all know we have baggage and are unique and special. I know that I was very hurt that someone might think I would copy my friend's work and try to pass it off as mine by pretending I wasn't that decorator and talking about how amazing something in the house was or the decorator is. It just blows my mind that people think others would go that far to get attention.

I just hope that the person that copied the work would try to make things better with my friend. Until that happens I sure don't want to be put in the middle of this sort of thing again. Do I want others hurt by others thinking they are someone else? No way. This is why I posted. I want everyone to know my characters so people are not confused and don't bring others into the confusion as well. God knows I have hurt others by my bluntness or messing up how I word things or get over protective or just not in a good place that day, etc. I don't like hurting others. Please if you are confused if someone is me, look up my main characters I listed above and look at alt tab. Do I want everyone to know this sort of thing is going on? Yes! Maybe people might change how they are communicating with others cuz they might not care if people don't like them but maybe just maybe they care that others don't get blamed for their actions. I also want people to be able to approach each other and say hey you hurt my feelings when you did this or be able to ask are you mad at me. I would want a chance to apologize and make things right. Hate and anger just take up way to much energy and time.
  10. Wizzam Well-Known Member

I've stolen something recently from Oaky. Shhhh, you can't say what it was cuz its in a GNG house. But I told her I was stealing it and asked her how she did it. She started sending me links of the items she used and even offered to come help me make it.
    I've also recently stolen something from Leathericehawk. Shhhh, you can't say what that was either! But I told her twice I was stealing it, after I complimented her on it.
    I also gave credit to both in the home in a book.
    I do try my best to tell people, or even give them credit in a book in the home I copied their work in. But you're right, with so many talented inspiring decorators out there, it can be tough to remember who did what.
    But copying more than half the house without leaving something to credit the original designer is distasteful and can be hurtful.
    Febrith, kianne, Gretel and 5 others like this.
  11. Tenchigirl15 Well-Known Member

there are a bunch of ideas I've stolen too over the years from other peoples homes and I know allot that stole mine too, not to mention the Devs from SOE stole my ceiling fan idea on the "Tinker's Windblaster" since I posted my creation on the forums when the "tinkered Propellorator" came out from Tinkerfest in July 2011. but I didn't care, I get surprised to see my creation at their homes and see how they did it. ;)

that's why I created the forum "show off your creative created ideas" for everyone to share their ideas from items. that's what makes it fun. :D
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

And you got the idea for using Frostfell baubles, balls, etc. for "fan pulls" from me! :D See? It all gets tossed into the melting pot and what emerges is a lovely gestalt. :)

Uwk
    Faeonara, Katz, Gretel and 1 other person like this.
  13. Tenchigirl15 Well-Known Member

yup! I remember that too, you gave me a suggestion and it worked with the Frostfell baubles. best idea ever! ;)
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Glad you liked it! :D Everyone helps contribute! :)

Uwk
    Gretel and Ocarinah like this.
  15. kianne Well-Known Member

i dont have a problem with any one using my ideas as long as people dont take MY idea and claim it as thiers and then im basically called a liar when i mention that someone has used my item when i saw it in a video tour, it causes rifts between people when that happens... I know my own work and designs and im over the moon when some one uses the idea because it shows me my project is valued and liked enough that some one wanted it in their home... i made my first ever washing machine and tumble dryer recently, i cant recall whos home i borrowed the idea from but ive added my own washing basket and box of washing powder idea to it so who ever it was that originally made a washer/dryer combie first ty for the inspiration... and i made my first ever coffee pot thingy by shan which i told her about i changed the buttons ...inspiration is a very wonderful thing and imitation is a awesome form of flattery, just dont claim whats not urs as urs... as this hurts others
  16. Tenchigirl15 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with that, but even tho it's hard to keep on track on who's items by who's ideas by owners in their homes since the creation trend started when EQ2 first came out. I've visit allot of houses and they have the same item ideas as other items do, or you can put up a sign saying "got the idea from "_____" on the creation you created in your house. lol!! :p
  17. Valzen Well-Known Member

Awe Oaky! I hate to hear you're going through this. I get back and see this post and am thinking who in the world could think anything negative towards you???!! We love you! You have plenty here who feel you're awesome. HUGS!

In regards to stealing things, I am always trying new things and morphing items into that and this. LOL It's my favorite past time. I have also taken others' ideas, but always try to give credit when I know for sure who the original designer was. If something was copied blatantly 100% and someone took all credit, then I'd be ticked like Cheribomb was with her guild hall. It's just not right.

Oaky, if someone is upset that you videoed a home that was a copy, how were you to know? How could you have remembered since you've seen so many? I hope it all gets worked out. :) You're too good a person to have this happen.
  18. Febrith Well-Known Member

This ^^
  19. Merriel Well-Known Member

I have an absolutely horrible memory and can hardly remember my own name most of the time <eg>, little lone whose idea something was, but if I got the idea from someone else, I would never claim it as my own. As someone else pointed out in this thread earlier, even if you do borrow the idea from another person's home where you saw it, you don't know that the decorator of that home was the original designer of that idea. They might have borrowed it from someone else whose home they saw it in. It might be an idea that's been borrowed a half dozen times or so from different decorators. Therefore, I will acknowledge that the idea is not mine, and if I do remember whose home I borrowed it from, I'll acknowledge that person too, but more often than not, I just acknowledge that the idea was not originally mine and that I did borrow it from somewhere. :)
  20. Tenchigirl15 Well-Known Member

same here, I have a bad memory too but never claim the creation as my own also on some ideas I've seen on other houses and make the items a little different like adding more buttons or throw more pillows on the object. I've always add credit to the names I remember when I post my new homes to tell everyone where I got them from. ;)