City Quest Cloaks Broken

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by CrimsonAvenger, Jun 29, 2017.

1. CrimsonAvenger New Member

So, after happily blowing up mobs for a bit (that's why I have the wiizie, right?), I decide to check to see what gear would need replacing next level.

Looked at her Cloak of the Concordium. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zip. No stat bonuses, no blue bonuses, just a dishrag hanging from her neck.
    Switched to an Assassin low enough level to still be wearing City Cloak. Same result. And a Monk. Same result. Warlock, ditto, FP Ranger, likewise.

These toons were a mix of live servers and TLE (Stormhold).

I am REALLY UNHAPPY that a dozen+ of my toon just lost their good cloaks!

Yeah, yeah, they're lowbies so who cares? Wonder how many other items like this I'm going to find while looking through my couple-dozen toons?

PS> Looks like reports of broken Wind Komodo mounts was just tip of the iceberg.....
  2. Sinhika Well-Known Member

I can confirm this. All the Freeport level 20 city cloaks (Seafury Cloak of Stealth, Cloak of the Academy, Cloak of the Dismal Rage) are broken and missing all stats. The Cloak of the Celestial Watch, from the Qeynos line, is also broken, missing ALL stats.
  3. Fyreflyte Well-Known Member

The addition of stats to the city cloaks was accidental, as they were appearance-only items for the vast majority of their lifetimes. The unintended stats were removed from them a number of months ago to help maintain stat progression on the TLE servers. Cloaks were not widely available at lower levels in the original game, and an easy to obtain legendary item for this slot was too powerful. We've added a number of other low level cloaks which should help provide various stat options to your leveling path.
  4. Sinhika Well-Known Member

I beg to differ. I've been getting those city cloaks with stats for the YEARS I have been playing on live servers. I was originally pointed at them by more experienced players as a 'must-have', so the cloaks were very well known for some time. Are you sure you didn't mix them up with something else when you say they were "appearance-only for the vast majority of their lifetimes"? Because frankly, they are the only non-house-item reward for the rather long, difficult and complex set of 20th level city timeline quests--are you saying that this entire questline is intended only for decorators? (The cloak appearances are available on several other, higher-end cloaks eventually, so they are not unique.)

What other low-level cloaks might those be?

ETA: The stats were removed on Live servers as well as TLE.
    Alenna likes this.
  5. CrimsonAvenger New Member

Really? I've only been playing for five or six years, and those cloaks have always had stats. My first toon got one of those cloaks, and every single toon since has made it part of getting through level 20 (hmm, about 25-30 toons, some since deleted)

So you're asserting that the devs are too stupid to pound sand, in that they've allowed those cloaks to have stats unintentionally for five or so years?

I also find myself curious as to how they acquired the stats/bonuses they have had all the time I've been playing. I've never seen any other item that had those exact same stats, so an unintended dupe of another item seems extremely unlikely.....

In any case, you've moved me closer to cancelling next time my sub comes up for renewal. Stupid devs don't give me a great deal of confidence in the future of the game. Though it does explain some of the decisions that never really made much sense.
    Steelviper, Sinhika and Alenna like this.
  6. Katz Well-Known Member

I'm going to suggest that they get someone on the team that understands human nature and listen to them. Taking things away from people always angers, frustrates, annoys, aggravates, and just plain ticks them off. I stopped playing for a year after the neighborhoods were taken away. It doesn't matter how small or large the thing is, the irritation will still occur. There are some folks who won't be annoyed but enough will be that it just isn't worth the bad feelings that result.

Think very carefully before you remove things. Is it really worth the bad feelings that result?
  7. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

If removing stats from a level 20 cloak that is useful for about half a day angers and frustrates people to such degree, maybe its time to re-evaluate your life.
  8. Sinhika Well-Known Member

I am. Like MANY OTHER PEOPLE, I am re-evaluating actually paying money for this game, as the developers seem intent in taking all the fun factor out of the game. Also, I'm curious as to how a cloak that is good from level 20 to the late 30s or so (when you can get the Steamfont quest cloak) is only useful for half a day? Do you really normally level from 20 to 37 in 6 hours? How much did the power-leveling service cost you, and what's it like having a high-level character you don't know how to play?
  9. Steelviper Active Member

I beg to differ as I do remember very clearly that the city cloaks were originally level 40 and did have green and blue stats on them for many years, only not as strong and pretty in line with that level. However you went and made copies of them for level 20 and added stronger stats than those on level 40 ones, for your first TLE server, and replaced the level 40 ones with them as a reward. I remember to have looked them up on http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/item_search as I wondered myself then about the quite strong stats on the level 20 ones.
    Now looking at the same site again, it seems you actually removed those level 40 cloaks by now so nobody can compare, probably hoping it would allow you to try to mislead us.

Well that was not a nice move on your side. Just one more reason not to like your Fallen Gate server, as you screwed up on so many other low level good items by removing many, if not most, blue stats from them and making it lot harder for people who want to play on low level for fun, on live servers.
    Now you also screwed up on the nice questline cloaks, making them entirely useless. Way to go to reward people for playing your game!
  10. Finora Well-Known Member

I'm not at all sure which cloaks you are talking about Fyreflyte, but the cloaks that one got as a reward for doing the city quests in Qeynos at the very least have had stats since the quests were introduced (on the regular servers, I never completed those quests on either TLE). They were never appearance unless someone already had a better cloak (as was the case for my main when I got the quests done since I was at level cap at the time) and certainly never appearance only.

Now it is 100% true we didn't have cloaks with stats in the original few expansions (no cloak slot at all until EoF I think it was). But we also didn't have any items with stats in the charm slots, that's where we kept our potions, poisons, and torches and I don't see devs retroactively deciding hex dolls & all the other charm items need to be removed.
  11. BulletCatcher New Member

Over a cloak? Whoa... calm down. You're being melodramatic. I doubt anyone (maybe you) would stop playing a game because of some non-end game cloak. (especially since a dev came here and explained it to you)I have a feeling you'll never be satisfied no matter what happens. You're just an insatiable consumer who can't find pleasure. Why are you playing this game?
    Xephane likes this.
  12. BulletCatcher New Member

Sure hope someone with some knowledge on the topic (and not speculation) will reply and explain the deal with the Cloaks! I'm entitled to get stats and gear and I DEMAND to know what the heck is going on with MY pixels.

Oh wait...
    The cloaks were not intended to be introduced on TLE servers, but they are supposed to exist on Live Servers. Thank you FyreFlyte. I would still be ignorantly swinging my club around if you had not explained this to me.
    Xephane likes this.
  13. Finora Well-Known Member

I feel you are overlooking something.
    He made a statement, which is wrong according to all people remember. Only the ceremonial cloaks were ever stat-less that I recall, at least for many years at this point. And this does not only affect the TLE servers, the low level cloaks also got the stat-ax on the regular servers.

Devs screw up sometimes. You don't have to run to their rescue and defend everything they do regarding TLE. It's not wrong for people to point it out even if you think it's a pointless waste of time.
    The "oh but the precious TLE server progression" thing gets mighty old after a while, especially when everyone is running around on Fallen Gate with familars which most decidedly were never in game at launch. Oh! that big bad cloak is really going to break progression.
    Crastinal likes this.
  14. BulletCatcher New Member

There is a sense of entitlement and arrogance from people like Finora. Getting overly upset for little to no reason. Its people like this that cause the game to degrade into the soup sandwich state it is (live servers) thank god FG is here.
    Xephane likes this.
  15. Melt Actually plays the game

I think you may be thinking of the wrong person. Want to see entitlement? Go look at the ethereal grind posts. Floods of it in there.
  16. Finora Well-Known Member

What entitlement? And what upset? Surely you aren't talkiing about me. I'm not upset, merely pointing out that Fyreflyte is incorrect on a single point. You are the one who seems mighty bent out of shape. Gods forbid someone point out a mistake to the devs or question their decisions. They aren't infallible gods after all or they wouldn't need us folks testing things for them.

Arrogance hehehe, oh boy. You made me smile tonight haha thanks.
  17. Xephane Active Member

This entire thread is literally people complaining about a cloak being changed. A single item, at the beginning of T3. People are threatening to quit the game over this..?

If that isn't entitlement then what is?
    BulletCatcher likes this.
  18. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

Didn't Fyreflyte go through and redo the entire progression curve from 1 on up? Usually when an item is changed it gets changed for everyone, even if certain stat types are disabled on TLE. I know on TLE even level 1 gear has changed. Handcrafted used to be +5 to stats, now it's +3. The wolf charm you make at the beginning of the crafting line went from +7 to +3. Is it like that on live as well?

Other than that, a low level item got nerfed in an MMO. The horror...
    Xephane likes this.
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah, so that's why so many of the items on the live servers got screwed up as well... X-P

Yeah, actually, it is. Because it's symptomatic. :-/

I can remember quite distinctly having the world bell/city travel bell pair in each of the four Freeport quarters, for example, or almost: one pair for South Freeport, one pair for East Freeport (about half a block down the road... /shrug), one pair for North Freeport, and one pair for West Freeport. Then the very obtrusive Battle Grounds or Agnostic Dungeon Express (or whatever it was) portal got plonked down in West Freeport, exactly where the world bell was or near as dammit, and the bell did not get shifted over to be next to its city bell neighbor (they had been across the entrance to the Champion's Coliseum from each other previously, with the world bell to the eastern side), it got eliminated (crushed, probably ;->). When we complained about its loss (still ongoing; never did get the bell back), the devs chimed in with, "Oh, that was always a mistake to have that there." "Um, okay, so, you moved it over so that both bells are on the west side of the entrance, about the equivalent of five feet apart, like all the others are?" "No, it was always a mistake to have it exist at all." I cry bull used-food. >:-/

It's entirely possible Fyreflyte was thinking of another item. It's entirely possible the devs messed up on something in order to try to protect the hatchlings on the TLE servers from too much success. It's possible, they're human, but basically mucking up all the other servers' items and insulting our intelligence and recollections on the matter aren't making this better.

Admit you messed up somewhere, devs, and move on. Better yet, fix it; it's the best way to make it up to us.

Uwk
  20. Arandar Well-Known Member

Fyreflyte wasn't thinking of another item. Based on a conversation I had with him about it, the city cloaks were in a folder for appearance items, and at some point, some developer added stats to them. When he started updating the gear a few months ago, he saw they were originally intended to be appearance (by virtue of being in a folder for appearance items) and removed the stats. He mentioned that he could add stats back to them, but was concerned that at some future point they'd just end up being removed again. The obvious solution would be to create alternate versions of the cloaks that had stats, and hook them up to the quest rewards, but that's time being spent on a very minor thing. Keep in mind that those cloaks are easily replaced by the time that you're level 30.

Keep in mind that he went through and normalized an enormous amount of T1-T5 gear. Quite a lot of it was boosted (particularly at the lower levels) and some was brought back into line with progression (e.g.: a lot of the Lavastorm gear which had ridiculously high stats for the tier). A small measure of perspective might be useful here, given that we're talking about a handful of items, and not something that is indicative of anything else. They're low-level cloaks that effectively end up being nothing but appearance items anyway within a few levels.

If they were level 50 cloaks that were intended to be "end-game" rewards, I could at least understand some of the hand-wringing and people jumping up and down like their hair is on fire. For level 20 cloaks? This whole thread is ridiculous.