Another total newb

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Cassandrajade, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Cassandrajade Member

Hello all - I've been playing for a little while and figuring most things out as I go but there are a few I don't get. I've been collecting lots of natural resources and now I keep getting a message on the screen saying my inventory's overflowing (and there's a particular item I don't seem to be able to use for a quest because it's in the overflow). I don't really understand the inventory/equipment part in the character window anyway, but I read somewhere that those natural resources are used for crafting, so I thought I'd have to figure out how to do that. I found a crafting area (in New Halas), bought some recipe books, and figured out what to do with the recipes so I could use them, but when I went to the furniture items and tried creating it said I couldn't because my inventory was full. So how can I do some crafting and use some of the stuff in my inventory - or is there something else I can do with it?

I've also noticed in the chat window sometimes messages about eating a ration and drinking water. Lately though it's been saying I'm hungry/thirsty but haven't selected anything to eat/drink. How do I do that? The Help section is not really that helpful with this or the inventory thing. And I don't really get the combat - I'm a high elf mystic (I'm not very interested in fighting but I have to do a fair bit anyway) so I can cast spells, but when it comes to combat I just click the melee button and then I'm fighting automatically, and I just cast spells randomly as they become available. It doesn't seem to take much skill on the part of the player, but I suppose I'll get better with more experience, which makes it slightly more interesting.

I thought there would be more players around too - I'm normally playing around this time of day (when I'm posting this) which might not be a good time for many others around the world. I usually set it to 'looking for group' but maybe that only shows up when you talk to someone. Not being very outgoing (as in real life!) I haven't talked to anyone yet, but if you see me around (same name for my character - Cassandrajade) I wouldn't mind a chat.

Thanks so much if you can give me any pointers!
  2. jblackfox Member

First of all welcome to EQ2. Let's see if I can answer some of your questions. Your inventory problem is caused by the small number of bags you start with. You can buy larger bags but if you join a guild someone can most likely make some for you. Then you need to move the stuff in the overflow to your bags. You just select an item with the cursor and move it to where you want it to go. And yes you won't be able to craft until those items are in a bag or box. Hunger and thirst relate to having food and drink available. You started with some generic items and probably used them up over time. /Again, you can craft some if you move some items to an available box or bag. (In my opinion, making food and drink is painfully slow and difficult.) Again, if you join a guild these things are generally available. What server are you on? Combat is as you stated, you will get better as time goes on but mystics basically have a couple different option, using spells or melee. Again you really need to talk to someone who can help you and most folks are pretty helpful. You may find a troll or two however. If you hit "u" you can get a list of guilds looking for members. Depending on which server you are on there may or may not be many looking for newbies but it is worth a try. I do play at this time of day but usually on the TLE server Stormhold. Another new server will come on line next week, Fallen Gate. The TLE servers do have some different rules however but may be better for someone starting new.
  3. Katz Well-Known Member

Welcome to the game!
    Which server are you on? I'm sure someone would be happy to mail or trade you some larger size bags. If you are on Halls of Fate, I will gladly give you some bags and strongboxes. The smaller bags make things very challenging.

The first thing to do is get things out of your inventory. I suggest you go to a banker and put some bags or strongboxes in your bank slots then put as many items as you don't need to carry around into those. Then you can go to your character window and empty your inventory.

You can right click on the inventory overflow once you have enough room in your bags and click on empty overflow to remove the items out of your overflow. There is a quest in the beginning areas that gives you a large box for harvested materials (the things you craft with) that you can put into your bank to put extras into.

As far as food and drink, you can craft it, buy it from merchants, or buy from other players. You then put it into your food and drink windows. You can have it set to auto consume or turn that off, whatever your preference.

[IMG]character_window_instructions by Katz McKatz, on Flickr
    Finora likes this.
  4. Finora Well-Known Member

Welcome to the game!

As the above poster said, getting bigger bags will help a great deal. You can get those by making them (you can make one yourself at level 8 crafting), buying them or if you are lucky, there are players on at least some servers that periodically pass out free large back packs to fellow players (I know there are at least a couple that do this on Halls of Fate server). I'd make you some myself, except the only character I have on the Skyfire server is really just for touring houses.

You will also need to make sure you empty your overflow, you do that by clicking on the overflow items in your character window. Just select move to inventory or move all to inventory (wording my be slightly different but you'll get the idea).

For the food & drink you will need to buy more either from a player/broker or an NPC merchant or make some yourself with crafting. All priests get a summon food/drink spell, but honestly it's barely worth doing. When you get it, you equip it in the food and drink slots on your inventory screen. You won't die or anything if you don't eat and drink, you just won't regen health and power as quickly as you would otherwise and you'll miss out on some stats that you can get from food and drink. Unless you are constantingly fighting or running very low on power, I recommend clicking on your food and drink slots and select "turn off auto consume" that way you don't eat and drink up your stuff when you don't actually need it. You will have to remember to click on it before you head out to adventure though if you want the benefits of having your provisions.

I see you are posting this at about 10:30 in the morning, as most servers are on US time, you'll find fewer players on during the day in the US than you will in the evenings. You'll also find fewer people in the low level zones since many players are high level and spend most of their time in the higher level areas.
  5. Synistra Active Member

Definitely post the server you're playing on so people can say hi and help you out with some bags and strongboxes and general questions you may have in game. The game is very top heavy and not a lot of people are making alts at the moment but generally if people get to know you and know you're leveling up a new toon they may dust off an alt just to hang out and help you!

I also just started a Mystic on Halls of Fate to knock the rust off my EQ2 muscles in preparation for the new TLE coming June 27th, I've never actually played one without a power level at lower levels, but I'm enjoying it. Do you have access to mercenaries? I would suggest if you don't have it already, you should get the option, I think you can find it in the marketplace. A tank or dps type mercenary will definitely help with your leveling speed and how quickly you kill monsters. Katz also gave a very good explanation of the inventory overflow system. If you like crafting there are lots of crafting quests to do in the New Halas area that will help you get the hang of the system and level your crafting skill. http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/EverQuest_2_Wiki:Main_Page is a great website for quest info. If you need to get a location for an NPC or quest update just copy the location numbers and then paste them into the game window by typing /loc and cntrl+v.

The combat system is pretty straight forward and lackluster especially soloing. You'll basically cast your wards on your self/pet/mercenary and just dot/slow (haze line) if you need to and kill stuff. It's not until you get a lot of AA points (hit L in game and then go to the AA tab) that you'll get more freedom with your playstyle.

Lastly all players can see anyone who is /lfg by typing /who all lfg in the chat window, but like I said before not a lot of people group early on because it's so easy to level and because the game is mostly top heavy level wise. I know it's frustrating learning a new game but I promise there's a lot to love about EQ2, it's just sometimes you have to wade through the frustration (as with most games that are newer to a player) before you find the cool stuff.
  6. Ryuken Active Member

Welcome to the game!

If you're on the Maj Dul-server ill give you a bunch of bags with lots of space so you can have more room.
    You will then have to move all the items in the overflow to the new space you have.

Joining a guild helps alot , not only will crafters make some useful items for you, you will also get alot of help and advice.

Also, check what you can get via /claim.

I think you get a 12 slot bag after a week or so. (may be wrong)
    Finora likes this.
  7. 7rlsy Member

For crafting information, go here:

http://eq2.eqtraders.com/articles/news_page.php

Niami Denmother knows everything about crafting, and her site is comprehensive. It's THE tradeskillers' resource, although, yes, the Wiki and ZAM are useful, too.
  8. Hexalobular Well-Known Member

If you do the crafting quests in the starting area you should get a rather big box just for harvestables, don't worry about when it says you need to unpack it at the bank because of the weight, weight is no longer a thing in game, but you may only be able to put it in the bank.
    Finora likes this.
  9. Cassandrajade Member

Thank you all for so much helpful advice. I forgot to mention I'm on Skyfire server (I just liked the name!) I'll try the guild thing but that's something else I know nothing about. By 'starting area' do you mean Frostfang Sea/New Halas? That was where I started but only recently found the crafting area, when I came back after exploring a few other places.
  10. Carynn Well-Known Member

When you were on the little island at the very beginning (Pilgrim's Landing), you should've gotten/taken a quest from Trainer Hawk Dunlop called Learning to Harvest, which rewards you with the harvesting storage box. After that, the mender on the island would have given you a quest called If I Had A Hammer which leads you into tradeskilling.

Also, chat channels are a good way to find a guild. Introduce yourself in General or in Newbie chat, say you're new, and the mostly wonderful community will gift you with all sorts of help. You can also find a guild by pressing U on your keyboard. This will bring up a page of guilds that are recruiting. Use the Filter button to narrow down the type of guild you're looking to join.
  11. Mensa Member

I'm on Skyfire as well. Send Keipitt a tell and I can hook you up with food and drink. I also have a tailor so I can make bags for you as well. I'm usually on at night. Oh, and if you're looking for a guild I'm in Unforsaken. I'm pretty sure they're taking invites. Good group of people too.
    Cassandrajade likes this.
  12. Cassandrajade Member

Thanks for that - I haven't completed the harvesting quest as I haven't found any jumjum, despite harvesting lots of shrubs and gardens, and I'm not sure how to fish. I did manage to clear some space in my inventory (by working out how to place items in my house and add butterflies to collections - I didn't realise for a while you have to right-click to do things with items) and do some crafting - managing to complete one item successfully! I tried bringing up the guilds and contacting recruiters but it said I couldn't page them without all-access. Do I just have to post in chat? And is there something I can do to make the chat come up differently? I just see main chat (with General and a few others) and combat, but no Newbie.
  13. Cassandrajade Member

Thanks - I might try that.
    Mensa likes this.
  14. Hexalobular Well-Known Member

You're probably harvesting in the wrong area for jumjum, try going back to the starting island or where the bears are.
    Jumjum is a level 0-9 harvestable and you are probably in a harvesting level 10-19 area.

Fishing works like other harvesting, the nodes are just not always as easy to see.
    They're in the water, naturally, called something like "a school of fish", "a mob of fish" or similar and marked by a bunch of small fish that aren't individually targetable, they can be easier to find if you're swimming and angle the camera so it's underwater though you may have to worry about sharks and stuff in some areas. You sometimes have to get rather close before the label shows up especially if they are a bit deeper down.
  15. Cassandrajade Member

Thank you - I probably assumed the fish were all creatures to fight rather than harvest!
  16. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Good luck and welcome to the game. If you have questions, just ask. Most of us will try to be helpful with tips or suggestions. And have fun!
  17. Carynn Well-Known Member

There is an option that pops open your collections journal when you harvest a shiny so you can immediately add it, if you want to use it. I find it convenient, some people find it irritating.

Press J, go to your collections Tab, at the bottom will be a checkbox for Open on Loot. Check this if you want it to automatically open for a shiny you don't have.
  18. Ryuken Active Member

Cassandrajade

Did someone give you some bags/containers on Skyfire yet?

Otherwise i'll send you some via mail if needed.
  19. Mensa Member

I think joining a guild would be the best thing for you (even if it's not our guild :D)!!! You have some common questions a new player would ask and when you're in a guild you can get them answered immediately. I've been playing about two years now and when I group with a guildie sometimes they'll say "Try doing this instance this way" or "Hey do you have this hotkey set up" and I'm like, dang I didn't know you could do that so I've still got stuff to learn too. It's really cool grouping with people that have literally been playing this game 10+ years!
    Cassandrajade and Fink like this.
  20. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Don't ask me, once I figured out (or was told) how to set something up, I dump that from memory. Why worry about remembering something I will never (knock on Tunare) use again? *grins*
    Mensa likes this.