Is the new TLE server True Box?

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Vaxpo, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Vaxpo New Member

Is the new progression server true box or will it be box armies running around? (yes I do realize there can still be box armies with true box but it isn't nearly as bad with it)

Friend and I are deciding whether to give this a try but no way we are if it isn't true box. We learned our lesson from the early EQ1 progression servers.
  2. Nuhvohk Active Member

No, it's not.
  3. Vaxpo New Member

Okay thanks, all I needed to know.
  4. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

What is true box?
    Mermut and Prissetta like this.
  5. Nuhvohk Active Member

It's a thing from the EQ1 TLE. You get banned for having more than one game instance running on one computer.
    The funny thing is, it either doesn't stop boxing on multiple PCs, or it does, and it keeps multiple people from playing the game on the same internet connection, lol. So the idea is kinda pointless.
  6. Finora Well-Known Member

Not sure why EQ1 progression server horrors would turn you off the EQ2 ones. The whole of it goes much differently.

You aren't going to have jerk-bard posse swooping in and charming off mobs you are fighting and running away with them. And while it's not "hard" to box in Eq2, it certainly takes more effort than boxing in Eq1.

(speaking in not using 3rd party programs which are supposed to get you banned on any server)
    Neiloch and Rosyposy like this.
  7. Porrum Member

It's not intended to stop boxing on multiple computers. It's intended to stop boxing on one computer. Hence, "True box" - each instance of the game is running on a true 'box' meaning a real computer.

Each computer ("box") has it's own input, so if you want to play two characters at the same time, you have to manually push those buttons, you can't (or at least, are not supposed to) use software to send your keystrokes to each client.

So normally, you can load up six copies of EQ on your computer, and have software send all your keystrokes to each instance of the game. You push "1" once, and all six mages cast a spell. With True box, you need 6 computers, each running the game, and 6 keyboards (or one keyboard with a 6-port KVM) and you have to push "1" six times.

It has nothing to do with multiple people on the same internet connection, or 'botting' (unattended gameplay).
    Rozyn and Krycek like this.
  8. Nilyana Active Member

I don't really remember boxing being an issue on the first EQ2 progression server, not sure why it would become one on Fallen Gate.
    Finora likes this.
  9. Krycek New Member

It's definitely not pointless. If you had played on some of the EQ1 TLP's that allow it you would know. Seeing ppl playing 20-30 mages and "soloing" raid mobs is kind of ridiculous. That doesn't happen on the true box servers. You can still box with multiple PC's. One character on one PC. Multiple people can play in the same house.
    Vaxpo likes this.
  10. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

It was definitely a problem on Stormhold, at least through KoS.
    Fetish and Rozyn like this.
  11. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

Isn't it easier just to make more friends rather than bot/box/beatbox/ w/e ? Oh wait. Nvm.
    I'll see myself out.
    Dude likes this.
  12. Nuhvohk Active Member

I know the difference between boxing and botting, nerd. And besides, many folks who box, while running multiple EQ2's on one machine, still have to tab between them hitting buttons manually. I'm not denying that some people use ISBoxer and other software like that, but not all of us do.

So you're saying that with True Box, the only thing that changes is boxing with hardware instead of software. And a few additional key presses. Otherwise, it's functionally the same.
  13. Nuhvohk Active Member

Yeah, that's pretty crazy. Haven't seen anything even remotely that extreme in EQ2, probably because EQ2 is too resource-intensive to run that many instances on one PC. I suppose, then, that True Box is necessary for a game like EQ1, but for EQ2 I don't see that happening anytime soon.
  14. Nuhvohk Active Member

Can't solo farm nameds on TLE with friends, they'll want their cut of the earnings :^)
  15. Feldon Well-Known Member

Not these days. Finding competent well-geared players who can focus for an hour is like finding a 6 pack of unicorns.
    Zeddicious, Synistra and Prissetta like this.
  16. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

I know what ya mean there, just the other day I was OOH A SHINY!
  17. Niami DenMother Well-Known Member

Even focusing for half an hour is hard, it seems. Far too many squirrel/shiny moments.
  18. Fetish Well-Known Member

I remember it being a horrid problem.
  19. Ting New Member

DBG detection system for IP/Mac is pretty horrible for anyone who knows how to spoof and bind network adapters. "True Box" just means you have to apply a work around to box 100 characters on 1 PC.