Congrats on the Epic fail this is Proving Grounds

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Revoltx, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phaedrix Active Member

If the game mode is hideously broken, steals precious developer time and begins to corrupt the general game mechanics, then yes, I'll be happy when it's gone.
  2. Jrox Well-Known Member

So... I went back and reread your statement. Seeing how it wasn't in the form of a replay, and just hung out there as a flat statement, I find my post quite on topic and relevant. If you're responding to someone directly, try using the reply button, maybe that will help...
  3. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

Nah man, running endless laps around the guild hall yard waiting for people to log in so you can kill something, that'd be my best part. That's probably over half of my /played time. Unless we're talking about Stormhold. The best part of Stormhold would have to be running laps around North and South Qeynos for sure.
    Snikkety likes this.
  4. Raff Well-Known Member

No, you didn't re-read my direct reply to Atan and no one else. So I assume your just being obtuse. As if that is anything new though.

But its not like I really care that some people just hate everything...
  5. Phaedrix Active Member

Don't you hate that? Almost as bad as when people mistake radical exaggeration for valid argumentation.
  6. Jrox Well-Known Member

I don't hate anything. There are like 10 posts between the "statement" you made and Atan's previous post. I never said I read your direct reply to Atan. I said I re-read the statement you posted. That I was responding to. I have never called anyone in a thread stupid, slow-witted, dull-witted, unintelligent, ignorant, or simpleminded as you just did. Maybe look in the mirror when speaking to hate. If you really don't care, why the hateful response?
    However, I believe your comments speak for themselves. If we don't Like something about the game, we should just bury our heads in the sand and ignore it. This is always a great way to go about things and help as a community...
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  7. Kalika Well-Known Member

There are so many issues, some healer classes that cannot heal anymore, mercenaries that proc now complete heals, godlike classes that can tank heal dps (beastlord it seems but may be others), tank that can chain temps for 2 or 3 minutes while in RoK days a tank with no heal would last at best 20-30 seconds.

Any subtle play is gone too, crow control ? never ... positionnal attack -- they even want to remove the stealth condition for some scout attack and they removed the distance condition on bows which made ranger/*** fun to play ---

And with gear/ability gap skill is also history ..

Last they closed the door to new players or returning ones ..

Within 2 years they really ruined the game.
    Pixistik, Neiloch, Season and 3 others like this.
  8. Jrox Well-Known Member

Hard to disagree with any of this...
    Pixistik, Neiloch and Mizgamer62 like this.
  9. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

for the most part, I think they finally have the pg mode where it needs to be on difficulty. the only thing I have an issue with is the 3rd named on the boat fight seems to summon too many adds on the final wave. I've seen this taken very slowly, one wave at a time, and sometimes with the last wave it seems like it spawns waves 2 and 3 together and overwhelms the healer. I've also seen it where there's only been a handful of mobs. so the whole fight seems iffy, and is totally a testament to whether the group will come together and get it done, or will give up halfway through. it's the "make-or-break" mob of the zone it seems.
  10. Atan Well-Known Member

Now that sounded like a very smart player.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  11. Livejazz Well-Known Member

TL;DNR = :( But is there a Solo version in which I can play my character, not a freekin' Droag? If so, how do I access it -- I'll give it a shot & perhaps revise these comments. Otherwise ... o well, it's not like it took a great deal out of my life.

So to be fair, I tried the Solo version the other day -- mainly on the mistaken hope that it would satisfy the Proving Ground quest & give me a familiar, which apparently the solo version will not do. O well, no big deal -- I do have a familiar, & it's not like I really need the bloody thing anyway so it's not like I'll care much about having more than one. I'm not a Pokemon' collector, after all.

Anyway, I mashed buttons like a drunken monkey because I didn't bother mousing over any of them to find out what they do. I couldn't care less, since I wasn't using Troubadour abilities in there to begin with. Using this "strategy" caused me to get through the solo Proving Ground in what was, to my mind, a reasonably short time period. I have no idea if it was "competitive" or not, nor do I care. For my "efforts" I got 3 Marks of Glory. Then, I looked at the vendors to see what they had available, saw the prices, thought about how many times I would need to do this dreadful content to get those rewards, & moved on.

I won't say it was a complete waste of my time, because technically that's all I'm doing when I play video games anyway. But within the context of "fun = productivity," this was -- strictly IMO -- the equivalent of pulling weeds for pocket change. I have far more enjoyable ways to waste my time within EQ2, so I'll not bother with the Solo Proving Grounds any more. As for the group version ... I don't know. If it at least allows me to play a Kerran Troubadour, with all the abilities with which I'm familiar, I'd be more inclined to try it, but I didn't create this character to play a Droag with a few buttons I neither know nor care about. But add to that the overall mindless feel to the mini-game, & I'm sorry Devs, but if I'm going to grind instances -- something I despise doing, frankly -- you guys have demonstrated you can do FAR better creating instances that are worth grinding. Seriously, the 3 minutes it takes me to do the Rum Distillery Stowaways is more fun & more immediately profitable than any amount of flailing about in the solo "proving ground."

I'll grade it a "C" due to the fact that it apparently works as intended & designed. I can't go beyond that, when to my mind the Advanced Solo instances in KA are far closer to what I think of as "solo proving grounds," in that they actually challenge the character I created. I guess that's what frustrates me the most, because I can compare the solo proving ground to other recently released content, & to my mind, there is no comparison. Solo Proving Ground is quite similar to, say, the movie "Suicide Squad" -- competently produced, & worthy of a bit of popcorn munching, but overall disappointing.
    Pixistik and Meneltel like this.
  12. Eltee Member

Agreed, a really nice challenge, only thing now though is getting a group together is so hard since the solo came in :(
  13. Jhen Ro Active Member

No - not that I have seen.

Incorrect. It does satisfy that quest - as well as the weekly PG quest to complete 3 matches.

With membership, it is 14 Marks of Glory per solo run, actually, not 3. Weekly quest gives 10 -- 20 Marks if a member. As for the level of fun you had in the zone - I won't lie, I am not a fan of PG's whatsoever. But I also don't expect to have a good time when I go in with a bad attitude from the start, either. As for the prices, sure, it will take time. Expecting it not to is... well.

So if you want the items from the PG and you want to play as your class, then play the regular PG?
    Livejazz likes this.
  14. Anaogi Well-Known Member

Look, I'm grousing as much as the next guy these days, but as of last night that solo is fun and challenging! (My main complaint is that the stupid ring is No-Trade and not Heirloom--serves me right for not paying attention!)

So yeah, I'm officially backing off PG complaints for now.
  15. Livejazz Well-Known Member

I completed the solo quest, but it didn't complete the quest. Not sure what else to say.

I expected to get an instance grind. I did not expect to get stuck in as a Droag, rather than a Troubie. If it had merely been an instance grind, I wouldn't have disliked it as much.

In any event: everyone's tastes, experiences, & results are at least moderately different. If you enjoy the PGs -- either iteration of them -- good on you. I don't enjoy the solo version at all, so I won't be doing it again.

I don't think I do -- my primary reason for going in was to say that "at least I tried it." However, I'll definitely agree that if I want to do proving grounds again, it most definitely will not be the current solo iteration, which I think is mediocre on top of being a Droag-run..

& beyond that, like I said: IMO, the solo proving grounds is inferior to the KA advanced solos ... so why should I grind my face off on the solo proving grounds, when the Advanced Solos are more fun? You might say, "Dude, BIS gear" to which I reply, "Who cares? I'm a casual soloing scrub, what do I need BIS gear for?" If I'm going to grind my face off in instances -- which, I remind you, I ardently dislike doing anyway -- why would I do it in an instance I distinctly dislike?

Of course, everyone else's mileage may vary, & mine is simply one opinion among many.
    Meneltel likes this.
  16. RadarX Community Manager

Not sure how this was missed the first time but we're going to close this. Please remain constructive when posting. Thanks!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.