Dead Gods

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Moorefallen, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Rainmare Well-Known Member

the Cae'Dal elves seem to be the elves that chose to remain in the desert of Ro for a considerable time before eventually moving to the Obulous Frontier. in Eq1, there were geomancy using elves in Takhis Hiz that were basically fighting a losing battle to keep it unburied. in Eq2, it seems like those elves instead of staying and fighting the losing fight, moved to OF, rather then the ones that kept to the recinding forests until those finally dried up and died and they were forced to go to Faydwer. But they don't really give a hint of predating Tunare or the other gods, and they speak Draconic as well, at least the leadership does. so it seems like they were around at least during the Age of Scale to learn the language.

As to Lanys and Inny...he's not the first God to be offed. Rallos was offed, the original 4 were offed as well, and now Inny. But we also have to remember that there apparently is an unwritten rule with the Pantheon of not killing each other. We had to get approval from Cazic, and/or Tunare and even then they were reluctant to give permissionand said the we HAD to either accept the consquences or find a replacement (we did with the Hounds). the 'Tenents of Hate' basically did it without 'permission' from the Council, and Lanys could only pull it off with the Chaos Stone, AND having the combination of Terris and Sarymn with her. which was basically channeling the last remnant of the power of the 4 or 5 (depending on if Xul'Varian was part of the stone).

and Lanys has been a 'Godling' for a long time, even since Eq1. she became the Demi-Goddess of Envy in Eq1, and then the Goddess of Malice in EQ2 at the end of AoM after they sacrificed her living daughter/descendant to restore her when the SKs screwed her over with thier epic. so it's not like she'd only gained her power a minute ago. she's been trying for Inny's throne since the Age of Turmoil as a mortal and a demi-god.

Inny's death however has shaken the Pantheon because it broke that unwritten rule. the rule of capturing or imprisoning each other rather then destroying one another, which can leave power vaccums. the 'Tenents' aren't actually officially powers in the Pantheon. that's why they had to 'create' Vadenmoor, rather then just assume power over Hate. that's also why Mithaniel uses the term 'Tenents' in quotation. unlike the Hounds, which were officially sanctioned because of Rallos being an arrogant idiot by the pantheon.
  2. Meirril Well-Known Member

The Hounds replacing Rallos was different because it was a carefully laid plan that took advantage of Rallos being in a weakened state and transfering his entire being to Norrath. The Hounds were ready to draw away his powers when Rallos fell in combat. Inny had all kinds of time to plot against Mithanial and he wasn't able to truely kill him, when his sister triggered the trap it split her power and trapped her in the statue with Ullu. We all know how that ended. Every Inny plot to get rid of another god basically worked on the principle of having 2 or more gods weaken another and trap them. That wasn't because there is some prohibition against offing another god, because he definitely tried. It is the same reason the good gods haven't gotten rid of Inny, its too difficult to do without getting a lot of gods involved. Heck, when Rallos had the Rathe captured and he drug them to Norrath and executed them they didn't die and they were completely at his mercy.

Even when Anashti pissed off the entire pantheon she wasn't really killed, just banished to a place where she should of ceased to exist. Now with an open portal between the Void and Norrath it isn't even a prison anymore. (which is part of the reason I say Rallos should still be around in some form).

And as for power vacuums, you do realize that over half of the deities from EQ1 have yet to return in EQ2? You don't see the Gods trying to replace them all. Instead of trying to bring back any of the minor gods, two new gods have risen. If it wasn't for the obvious plot of the next expansion, there really is no reason for the rest of the gods to be upset that the number one trouble maker in Norrath has been "destroyed". Inny imprisoned Mithanial, nearly killed Erollisi, and has fought with Tunare since he dared to corrupt her creations to make his own.

Lore is being ignored way too much in the name of cheap theatrics with this whole Lanys storyline. Lanys was totally shoehorned into AoM, an ok (sleeper) backstory for Thumbra, and an over the top yet very forgettable way for KA. I'm sure she'll continue to be a lackluster disappointment in the next expansion as well. Percicely the reason Inny gave her the boot in the first place. Well, maybe Lore is being upheld in a surprisingly novel way that I haven't previously noticed.
  3. Earar Well-Known Member

yeah .. it's like movies .. "because pouf pouf magic" thing

just because it's gods, doesn't mean anything is possible, there should be rules. I was kind of really disappointed how easily they got rid of Innorruk. I mean, he is a smart and cunning god, and being killed that easily isn't fun.

it's really disappointing lore wise
  4. Moorefallen Active Member

Please correct me if I am wrong but when I went through the time line I thought the Nye'Caelona elves acknowledged the desert of Ro as a more recent history than their own. They had a secret patron ( The Rathe Maybe or maybe Pingyuan Diqu..) perhaps if we knew more about this it would shed a little light on this.
  5. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

I was always under the impression that the only way a god could truly be killed was with one of Rhoen Theer's weapons or with falling into Oblivion itself in the heart of the Void. It seems that other successful attempts to "kill" gods with in the EQ cosmology involves the demi-god progeny of existing gods defeating them and absorbing their power. Demi-gods receive their power from their divine patron initially, so it's less of a true death and more the situation of the primary power being usurped and absorbed into the secondary vessel for the same said power. The Hounds and Rallos, Lanys and Innoruuk, as well as Terris and Morell with Cazic in EQ1, which was acknowledged in Chains of Eternity in EQ2.

I pretty much feel this way as well. To me it feels like that when Kerafyrm was finally defeated that there was an "oh ***, what now?" moment and Lanys was pulled out of a villain hat and shoehorned in. Don't get me wrong, Lanys was a good villain in the past, but she was never a "Big Bad" level of villain and it's a poor fit for her now. We went from spending years working against one of the greatest enemies the world has ever known to a dark elf with daddy issues and her own BDSM cult we're expected to take her as seriously. Lanys is a "Dungeon Boss" level of villain, not a "Multi-Expansion Boss" level of arch-villain. Lanys T'Vyl exists as a foil for Firona Vie.
  6. Anaogi Well-Known Member

Rallos was lodged in Ethernere as of CoE--knocking him free so he could "cycle" normally was part of the questage there.

Beyond that, I agree. My continuing issue with the Anashti-Mayong mess is a symptom of the overall problem, that there's nobody keeping the lore consistent and fresh any longer. Plus the dangling plot threads--hello? Does anyone remember the Shissar are back since Luclin is and want to invade again?--it's become embarrassing, honestly.
  7. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

The return of the Shissar would have made for a much better plotline than Lanys's daddy issues.
    Meneltel, Anaogi and Moorefallen like this.
  8. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

To be fair, trying to cast someone into Oblivion does sound like a pretty effective means of execution. The problem is that while the Void acts as a buffer dimension between creation and Oblivion, it's not a one-way road to Nothingness, as anchors can be created to keep those dangling on the edge of Oblivion from being pulled all the way in.

I wouldn't say she was "just banished." The pantheon effectively tried to erase her from existence. If she'd actually fallen into Oblivion like she was supposed to, nothing would ever be able to bring her back. As Rhoen Theer's weapons are one of the few things that can supposedly legitimately kill a god, I'd say tossing her into the Void was the best Plan B they could muster.
  9. Kaitheel Developer

I think you may find the following text and dialogue helpful on your topics (I suspect there is even more out there I missed):

History of Anashti Sul - A lot of dialogue within the Anashti Sul deity quest line, starting with "Gathering Feathers" offered by Plumetor Dul'Sadma.

History of the Glaufaye & the fate of Aniquilacion, Paixao, Pingyuan Diqu, Zou Kunnen (all obliterated by Roehn Theer), and Xul'Varien (slain by undisclosed entity) - The book "The Unforgotten" awarded through the Unforgotten collection in Thalumbra, Elanluelle's dialogue for the tradeskill quest "Researching a Solution". Also, Queen Alwenielle's dialogue for the tradeskill quest "An Urgent Call"

History of the Sulites in Arcanna'se Spire - Thaneni's quests in Thalumbra, especially "Preservation Fragmentation". Also, Queen Alwenielle's dialogue for "Underdepths Saga: Eyes of the Ironshadow", "Underdepths Saga: Unveiled Dangers", and "Underdepths Saga: Chaos and Malice"

History of the Cae'Dal elves - The book "Coming to Kunark; A History of the Cae'Dal" awarded for completing "Parchment Preservation", offered by Merith Iliqirelle in Obulus Frontier. Also, Keenora Fadan's dialogue for "Growth in an Arid Land".

~ Kaitheel
    Meneltel and Prissetta like this.
  10. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

Welp, time to do more tome hunting. I always did enjoy the lore tome quests.

On a similar note, maybe it's time to revive the Lore Library website in some capacity, maybe as a wiki, for us lore junkies to post quest and tome info. It might help renew my interest in the live game outside of TLE, who knows.
    Prissetta likes this.
  11. Anaogi Well-Known Member

Honestly, while I understand the resource-accounting reason for doing away with the lore subforum, its loss was a major blow to us lorehounds. (IIRC Feldon did preserve much of it--along with much of the original forum--so some of this may still be there.)
    Prissetta likes this.
  12. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

There used to be a website that collected and organized the lore text from tomes and quests, but it's not around anymore. Maybe we should resurrect it.
  13. Meirril Well-Known Member

I dislike throwing doubt on my own theories but there are four other major mortal powers that could of set up the network.

The most likely of them is the Rallosian Empire. In their time they conquered the world. In their time they not only had the strongest martial force ever assembled, but they were cleaver enough to breach the Plane of Earth and challenge the Rathe. It is vaguely possible that they set up the teleportation network to help them manage their Empire.

The second most likely origin is a bit of a stretch. It is possible that Mayong Mistmoor created the network to help himself and eventually his agents to get around. While this is unlikely, he is the top candidate for setting up the Firepot Room in Timmerous Deep.

Which brings us to our third candidate. The other person that might of set up the Firepot room is Miragul. Since he can time travel its possible that he set up the teleportation network, the fire pot room, the reason the Ydal turned against each other, is secretly the Nameless, was Erollili's baby daddy, also Cazic Thule's baby daddy, bullied Inny to make him the hate filled deity he is today, secretly crocked Anashti'Sul's work to create Undeath, and created Beer to prevent Brell from becoming the Ultimate God. Have I mentioned recently that I hate time travel?

The fourth and lest likely would be the Akevah under the instruction of Luclin. Luclin might of ordered it as part of her grand plan for the future. That is a really, really long streach.

Oh, and one last reason the white spires should be of Combine origin. The elves had to use ships to get to Fayderwer. This implies that the Spires and Druid rings on Fayderwer were constructed after the initial colonization of the continent. Felwithe was a major city in the Combine Empire, so them constructing a spire near it makes total sense.

Now who created the Druid Rings...there is no Lore for that other that the new rings created during an EQ2 Live Event. Who set it up in the first place is a complete mystery.
  14. Rainmare Well-Known Member

I just had an idea hit me about Inny.

in Eq1 when Cazic was killed, shards of his power were found on Norrath, as well as some being absorbed by his kids. at the end of that storyline, Luclin is protecting Cazic, who was 'rebirthed' after all the shards were brought together. he's not the Lord of Fear right now, but he's in stasis/recovery.

when Lanys blasts Inny, he doesn't disappear, or fade, or fall over dead, he breaks apart in fragments that look like big chunks of ice. It coudl be a situation of Inny is 'dead' in the manner he's got not way to physically manifest or do anything because he's spread out like a pile of broken glass. effectively Dead, but could be potentially resurrected like Cazic was.

the War in the Heavens event we're about to get into could bring him back. while I don't think Lanys is a poor choice as a villain because she has always been a threat and thorn in Inny's side. she's been scheming to take Inny down for ages now. hell had not mayong interfered in Eq1 she would have potentially succeeded then, the SKs in EQ2 screwed her over the first time here or she might have succeeded, and this is a third time lucky for her and even then she needed Terris' help and Tserrina to make it happen.

once the Chaos stone was destroyed, they clearly had a panic attack. but then Lanys said they had other plans if it got destroyed...which the plan seems to be abandon the pantheon and start a war. I'm still thinking if Inny stays dead, then Ully is probably going to assume the mantle of Hate. But I think it would be interesting to have Ully work with the Tenents, only to betray them and cause Inny to be brought back. (which I was hoping for with the epilogue, but instead we're going PoP/War in the Heavens instead)