Response to Survey

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Grouse, Jun 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

If they put fluffy bunny slippers as the reward, then you'd be on to something here. Instead, they put massively overpowered items behind a STUPIDLY long grind. So, anyone who actually wants to improve their character feels forced to do these instances forever and a day. Or, they feel like they're missing out on getting it done if they're doing anything else. Don't like it don't play it means you're not going to keep improving your character, and eventually you're going to walk away because of yet another power gap.

Currently, EQ2 is being designed for the super casuals/people who love the game behind rose colored glasses. i.e. TLE stuff and the loads of old content that people like our new youtuber can play forever. AND those who already have the 'try hard' achievement.

The rest of us who used to be able to become amazing and have fun with solid progression (though often locked behind terrible RNG) feel like this is no longer our game. Have a life but want to be the best in your raid? HAHAHAHAHA good luck unless you're a raidforce of ultra-casuals who will not see a mythical 2.0 until after the next expansion. Took some time off but want to get back into raiding? HAHHAHAHA no shot at doing well at least until the next expansion comes out when, guess what? You're going to feel a ton of pressure to buy new spells faster than waiting for them to drop. Woo hoo!

Too salty/DR: I would love for this game to be fun again. The endless grind system, the pay it faster system, and the lack of players to play with when my guild mates are off line are killing it for me. One of those things is related to the other two. Maybe these will be addressed in the future. Honestly, though? Maybe it's not you, eq2. It's me.
    Xephane, Kalika, Meneltel and 2 others like this.
  2. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Having worked for tech companies owned by foreign entities, I can tell you that the local laws and hiring practices still apply. You can also have a business unit with headquarters completely separate from the parent company, so Daybreak can definitely be an American company with foreign ownership.

But this is all off-topic, and whether the devs are full-time or contract does not mean they are any less dedicated or any less invested in the company or the game. I'm interested in the results of the survey, especially since they have sent it out a second time...I hope this is a sign that they realize things are unsettled in the playerbase and are trying to figure out where to go next to turn that around.
  3. RadarX Community Manager

Our main office/headquarters is in San Diego and we have a smaller studio in Texas.
    Juraiya, Xephane, Moorefallen and 2 others like this.
  4. Twinbladed Well-Known Member

So Europeans play on U.S servers?
  5. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Twin, I think you might be confusing datacenters and workplaces...the offices where employees work don't necessarily include the servers that the games run on. A company can be headquartered in one city and have datacenters worldwide (think Facebook, Google, and so on). So yes, Daybreak offices can be located in San Diego and Texas while still having servers in other cities or even countries.

(I'm not presuming to speak for Daybreak, by the way. Just giving my own experience with a similar corporate setup.)
  6. Twinbladed Well-Known Member

I understand that..wasn't my point
  7. Noctew Active Member

The european server is in Amsterdam.

C:\Windows\System32>nslookup valor.everquest2.com
    Name: amseq2-01-01.everquest2.com
    Address: 69.174.193.5
    Aliases: valor.everquest2.com
    Twinbladed and Prissetta like this.
  8. Twinbladed Well-Known Member

Thank you for making my point
  9. Mermut Well-Known Member

What is your point?
    Prissetta and Mathafern like this.
  10. Melt Actually plays the game

ESO is a garbage game and a terrible excuse for an MMO.
    Neiloch likes this.
  11. Twinbladed Well-Known Member

You rack up your list of how this game is better and I will throw mine at you lol. You have got to be on serious drugs if you think this game is better than eso. If this game is so much better then why does it population suck? Why is the engine so old? Why are there sooooo many bugs, why are class mechanics broken, why couldn't pvp ever get controlled, why are the graphics 12 years behind? Why is the system so simplistic on here? Why does everyone wear the same exact gear? Gw2 also out ranks this game, and it also has a much stronger population over a way longer stand point. This game lost tons and tons of people after just 4 years into it's launch. Then chunk after chunk after. So please share how this game is better other than liking to play with your old friends?
    Kalika and captainbeatty451 like this.
  12. Dude Well-Known Member

If ESO is such a great game, why are you here on the EQ2 forums instead of playing ESO?
  13. Twinbladed Well-Known Member

I told you already..notice how no one can actually explain the BETTER here.
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I've done both (tried EQ1, detested it for many reasons, went to WoW [and City of Heroes for a bit; AWESOME character generation, everything else = meh], then got roped into EQ2 by RL buddies in 2006 and have been here ever since), and had for quite some time. They pretty much lost me with the Cataclysm major revamp, largely due to changes in the storyline; I don't care particularly about roll-playing (I prefer role-playing) and number-crunching, I want to be immersed in the world, and Cataclysm left a very bad taste. If they'd done what they did here and did WoW1 and WoW2, I might still be playing WoW1, in addition to EQ2. ;->

That said, there were quite a few things I preferred in WoW vs. EQ2. The combat system was a biggie (well, yeah), though I do like being able to tell when a toon of mine is actually stealthed/invis, and I do prefer being able to turn around and run if need be from a combat (those who haven't played WoW: the last I knew, if you tried that, your opponent(s) would suddenly develop Super Leap powers and cosh you in the back of the head. "No escape for you!"). ;-> I did like the fact that, no matter what ranged weapons we had (and in WoW, we had bows, crossbows, and blunderbuss rifles, the last I knew), no matter how close/far away you were to the target, said target didn't know it were being shot at until the ammo either hit it or whizzed past its ears (or whatever). Then it'd react, and if not one-shotted, come after you with murderous intent (only fair, perhaps ;->). Here, I could be a stealthed Ranger, at the far extreme of my range, camo'ed in underbrush, all but invisible, and the instant I apparently THINK about aiming at something with my bow or thrown weapon (only options here...sigh), my target is perking up its ears (or whatever) and zooming over at light speed before I even release the ammo on its way. Thank the gods the devs finally lowered the minimum distance requirements for Rangers/Assassins here or they'd still suck. :-/

On equipment: I. LOVE. The. Artwork there!!! "It's too cartoony. It's not realistic." Hey, you want realism in a medieval or even Renaissance-type world, you need to leave piles of crap (of all sorts) lying around everywhere, you need a social backdrop similar to Monty Python's "Holy Grail" movie (lovely, wasn't it? :-/), you need big ol' honkin' tumors and open sores visible, you need more than just crappy-looking furniture and interior house walls at low levels (really, Art Dept. folks, people were actually craftsmen back then, and even the poor, maybe especially them, took decent care of the stuff in their houses at least, since they likely couldn't afford to re-stock everything every week. Why do you think the decorators here re-skin so much?). I LOVE the fact that when you get something in WoW that sounds awesome, akin to "The Bow of Nine Out of Ten Suns-Killing So We Don't All Die Horribly on Earth" it actually LOOKS awesome, living up to the name, rather than "Ooh, looky. Another bent stick. Woot." I just wish we had Appearance item slots in WoW when I was playing...sigh. Had to give up so much awesome loot eventually. :-/

There's what I call "in-game economy" and "out-game economy," by which I mean the mechanics in the game for buying (from players and NPCs), selling (same), banking, monetary quest rewards, etc. vs. the Marketplace and its WoW equivalent. I actually much prefer the in-game economy here; it's been far superior in every way until recently with the frackin' inflation madness...and even with that, you can park something up on the Broker indefinitely, until sanity reigns again (I live in hope). The out-game economy, however, has no comparison: the last I knew, the Marketplace in WoW ROCKED; the one here SUCKS.

Community: I do far better with that here than I did in WoW (one of the reasons I finally gave up on WoW), though I did luck out substantially with my guilds there. Perhaps it was just the noisy jerks there ruining it for others (Barrens Chat, I'm looking at YOU), but I definitely felt an "us (in our guild of friends and decent folks) vs. them (most other people, especially Alliance players /shrug)" mentality. :-/

Customer Service: The folks here actually believe in stomping griefers into the ground quickly and efficiently, whereas the bad experience one of my EQ buddies had when I tried to convince her to try WoW led us to believe that they really did not care in WoW about that. But, give them this; Blizzard has much more staff, or at least did back then, to handle customer issues in general, and stomp on bugs pretty quickly, because THIS IS ALL BLIZZARD DOES FOR A LIVING. Make computer games. SOE, for the longest time, belonged to and was funded (grudgingly, it seems) by a parent company (SONY; the two are NOT the same) that frankly, didn't know what to do with this "online gaming" stuff ("Will it compete with our own PlayStations? We sure hope not..."), and certainly didn't go out of its way to support us. :( Let's hope that if this game sunsets, Amazon Game will take pity on us. ;->

And yeah, I love the housing and crafting options here, as well as the Appearance slots. ;->

Uwk
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Still, I have to ask: what survey? Didn't see anything about it in any of my in-game mails... /shrug

Uwk
    Xephane and Aelfan like this.
  16. Dude Well-Known Member

It's not in game. It's sent to select people via email.
    Aelfan and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah! Thanks. :)

Uwk
    Aelfan and Dude like this.
  18. Twinbladed Well-Known Member

Ok making this point before hand, for some reason people assume I attack them and get all offensive, it's not the case it is literally how I talk to people. There is no emotion involved, just debates and opinions...anyways to the point

In comparison, you honestly can't put eq2 against triple A titles. There is nothing really to defend besides personal feelings. If you break the game down fact by fact, it is literally not one of the best mmo's at all. It had potential to be, but it doesn't make the cut.

Going back to what I said prior about eso on comparison

Eq2 vs Eso- Example

Eq2 inflation has been going up through the roof since DOV. That's pretty much 2010. This market could have been controlled but between adding options for players to mark up the market, and items like kronos which make players not pay a monthly membership, and the serious botting issue that was there for a long long time an still goes on today. Players controlled markets, they decided and made sure what things cost. Add in the massive millions of play that got inflating into the game due to exploiting and krono dupes, you have one that will not fix without a reset. Then add in the idea you paid for the game, then pay a month to get even use good gear. To be a top tier player, you need to pay for your ascension upgrades. You need station cash. It is just too much for so less.

Eso- The difference here, you pay one time, and get all the content. You get an extra boost on xp and a harvesting bag if you pay monthly, but nothing paying monthly actually makes a player cut off from anything inside the game. You pay, you play. The market place uses guilds up to 500 people, and you can be in 5 different guilds at once. And you actually go around trading and buying and selling to profit. There are hardly any bots at all, and there is no in game buy a item for a monthly sub issue. Therefor, there is no inflation, prices are cut lowered due to the fact of so much competition and having to actually play the economy yourself.

Customer service

Eq2 can take up to three days sometimes to get a reply, short staff or not, it really isn't acceptable. You pay to play the game, it should work. They also have a no mercy system, as if no one ever makes mistakes, you delete an item they won't give it back. They banned alot of people for no reason at all. One example..A friend of mine was on tle and they left the bg portal open in there, so he clicked it went inside, saw the pvp merchant, looked at it, then zoned out, he was permanently banned for that. It took Kander reviewing it a year later to get his account back, and he also paid his sub a year at a time, so lost out of over 100 and something dollars. That's not ideal customer support.

Another guy in here was offended because I said eso was the better game.

My case and point there, I get it, eq2 has a low staff nothing is perfect. In eso I don't worry about mess ups that collapse the game all of a sudden, they never happen. Big problems are handled on the spot. You don't get things put in like infinite ascension xp on accident. Your game doesn't go down for 24 hours because of hud issues. You don't have class imbalances for years at a time.

I also understand a lot of people don't care about graphics, but bringing decent graphics into a mmorpg is great. Also interactive questing. You engage in as quest and the npc actually move and talks, you don't need dialogue the entire time. I like the feeling of actually being apart of the story in a more realistic way. That is a personal opinion, it keeps the interest going.

You also have issues with stat inflation, and it is taken less and less skill to play the game. This is not interesting. Everyone wearing the same gear is not interesting, sharing the same stats, needing the same hp and resist, etc.. those are not interesting. It takes away from you being unique.

Populations, marketing eq2 has never happened but a few times an most of that was youtube adds during rok. If your ego is too big to put your ideas out, why would you expect them to catch attention?

I can keep going but main point is, I am not a eq2 hater, the idea was great, the stories could have went down in history, but without the upkeep, and the way you treat the people paying you, you're not going to make that list.
    captainbeatty451 and Meneltel like this.
  19. Alenna Well-Known Member

I know for a fact the Devs do care about their game and community. I can't give you the details(I promised I wouldn't) but lets just say I'm still able to play the game because of what the Devs did for me. The ones who don't care are the bean counters of their parent company.
    Juraiya, Xephane, Meneltel and 3 others like this.
  20. Alenna Well-Known Member

Daybreak is in the U.S it is the parent company that is in Russia.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.