How to Make Money in Norrath: A Guide for New and Old Alike

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Sigrdrifa, Aug 7, 2013.

1. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Buy now sell 1 month later :D
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

In a similar vein, I just spent 4-5k plat on each purchase of 100 crafted infusers so I could test it out - since I'm a returning player. I'm not sure how popular that is with other players but I made a mental note to get my provisioner through the questline so he can make those.

Ditto for popularity of keys, not sure how many people actively buy those. I keep hearing rumors saying that people are sick of grinding it. But you can't go by general chat rumors. As a returning player I'm likely to buy them out of curiosity, not knowing how best to use them.
    Soara2 likes this.
  3. Melt Actually plays the game

Keep in mind, this post was awhile ago. I don't think anyone will buy scourge wastes keys anymore. KA keys are still a decent way to make some cash though
    Soara2 and DoomDrake like this.
  4. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Zeks keys were the only reliable source of class specific ethereal runes so those keys WERE valuable until KA orange adorn
    Nowadays many ppl started using KA bauble - and as a such found them self in deep **** err undergeared. Shadow quartz keys yield exceptionally good 14 resolve gear that in some aspects better then T2 raid gear (but of course T3 raid would be better). Knowing that chance of shadow quartz is 0.5% and you need 4-5 pieces of signifier gear (at least) I'd say one need to buy 800-1000 KA keys for alt :) and as a side loot you'll get at least 8-10 pieces of mythical legate gloves/shoulders pieces from second grade keys
    Other sources of cash again sort of by product of key quest or/and other activities you do. If you have level 100 TSer and if you have salvage skill - making those skyfire reconstructed infusers (if you not mind mindboggling mass production of infusers) could generate decent supplemental income (side note: - I do not have a stomach to do this as a mass production but I regular do infusers for myself in bulk) Potency and Stamina would be a wise choice
    Soara2 and Semperfifofum like this.
  5. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Well the key thing is largely for alts who you don't have time to equip, or for crafters who're making up the plat with sales, and don't group as much. I find it easier to just join some heroic pugs, and get a piece here and there. I totally get why people would avoid that though. They're pretty "random" in quality.

I do like it when a game gives you a grindy path and a shorter but more social path to success though. Options are good. There's also the option of selling keys and buying SLR with the proceeds. Three paths! Now you see why I like this game best.
    Soara2 likes this.
  6. StoneLegion Active Member

So this is a sad and long shot. Anyone have decent experience doing this as a F2P user. It seems like what a F2P can do in a year a Member can make in an hour.
    Soara2 likes this.
  7. Earar Well-Known Member

when u cannot sell things at the broker, u already lose a lot of income. Now u can try to auction, or do zones, heroics and sell the good items .. better for expert.

u can also sell access to zones for epic 2

prize your help ? be a live merc ^^, offer your services ?
    Soara2 and Kane Hart like this.
  8. StoneLegion Active Member

Live Merc is actually a good one hehe.
    Soara2 likes this.
  9. Dude Well-Known Member

Yep, being a member has benefits.
    Soara2 likes this.
  10. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The idea is really that you should find reasons to want to become a paid member. F2P is a tool to introduce people to the game. It's never been meant to allow you to do everything a paid member can do, otherwise why would anyone ever subscribe?

If you love EverQuest, and you play an hour or more each week, you really OUGHT to subscribe. You're getting the same amount of entertainment that you'd have from a movie in a theater, or a pizza & beer with friends, so you should consider supporting the people that make this game available to you at all for a similar cost.
  11. StoneLegion Active Member

Man I miss the movies. Have not been able to afford to go out in years lol. Thanks for the depressing memory :p I do agree with you though I am a big fan of subscriber MMO's done it for 15+ years just in my life things are not so stable right now.
    Soara2 likes this.
  12. Faelfreeblood Active Member

Look, you buy it by selling xp vials or krono. Its no different than going to a moneychanger on other rpg games, and converting your cash to plat.

They ought to just cut the middle man and install a moneychanger next to the banker.

With fruitloops undercutting everything you post on broker at a loss, its really the only thing for a low level.

No amount of cleverness can help someone that enjoys older content, if there was such a thing, it would be made damn short work of, you can bet on that.
    Soara2 likes this.
  13. Tillamook Member

Nice post.. this is really helpful advice, thank you!

Soara2 and Sigrdrifa like this.
  14. Monkybones Member

F2P was never meant to "play" the game for the long term. Remember when games had a "Trial" of about 7 days or so so you can try the game out before buying it to see if you liked it? THATS what F2P is these days.

As a past game developer, it was difficult, and not very cost effective, to write a "partial" game for people to try. So, most game developers distributed the entire game and crippled it at a certain point. Then what happened is idiots found a way to hack the game a play it beyond the trial period. Game companies lost money. Some, it put out of business.

So, now you have F2P, where you can play the entire game "with severe restrictions" until you subscribe. This way, you can see if you like it before you subscribe and it costs you nothing. The game companies can also control the restrictions from the server side with limited hacks. So, yes, it IS free to play, BUT, if you "really" want to play, you should subscribe to really enjoy it.
    Soara2, jeremiya-AB, Juraiya and 6 others like this.
  15. Arclite Well-Known Member

I very much doubt that the F2P model is in any way shape or form was intended to be a taster for the game. The whole premise behind the micro-transaction economy model is to give players enough content from them to stick around but not enough for them to enjoy fully unless they fork out for perks/upgrades in the form of MTs. Most players who hang around long enough most likely end up paying more than they would actually had to if they had subscribed from the beginning.

You could argue that all the items on the market are fluff but they are not. We all know that.
    Soara2 likes this.
  16. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Don't worry. I spent enough while unsubbed last year to cover mine and yours, for 5 years. Subbed this year to save money. Lol.
    Oh and if you live in the US many people don't know this, you can rent free movies from the public library. Some have request list even or interlibrary loans.
    To the previous person asking if someone successfully did this as ftp, I spent about 5 bucks per year on broker tokens for years never hurt for game cash. I have a character slot, name change, fancy homes, etc addiction though. Lol
  17. denixius New Member

When I play EverqQuest II, the first thing I remember is Lords of EverQuest game on my PC, which is my first strategy game in 2003. I still have the retail case. And to see this kind of guides, and such players which this game has, makes me happy! And I'm always happy to play EverQuest games.

Also, I totally agree with "Living Within Your Means" thread. I love crafting so much, and it always helped me. I decided to get an allaccess membership, and I guess, its benefits are good for new players, too.

Bests,
    Soara2, jeremiya-AB and Sigrdrifa like this.
  18. Malahk Active Member

So the entire Rivervale server population is in desperate need of advice on how to make money. Without reading 8 pages of selling this or that on the broker, because nobody has any money to buy anything on the broker. How do you make plat from the game alone?

On Rivervale there's currently only two ways to make money (that I can think of): Use loyalty tokens to buy small bags of plat or get lucky enough to find a burnt key in OF. Well, we're all running out of loyalty tokens and good luck with the other.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Soara2 likes this.
  19. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You could try reading just the original post.

Look at the broker, see what's selling high that you can get fairly easily, and then go harvest/collect/craft whatever it is and sell it. That's the whole story.

The key is to harvest a lot and sell both commons and rares that you don't need. I'm making at least half a milllion plat daily selling shinies. This rate won't last long as people get their collections filled, but for now, shinies be flyin' outta dem broker boxes. And folks are gonna need a lot of the "regular rares" and shadow rares. so undoubtedly that's a market. Priests and mages need "regular rare" fish, so you could spend time just fishing and selling those.

The other strategy is to buy Krono at low prices then sell them high, flipping them over and over. Right now this isn't very workable because with the Krono sale, a lot of people bought Kronos and the market is glutted.

People really need infusers in BoL. So you could take your level 120 toon and go smash PoP content and break all the loot for infuser frags, and sell either hte frags or crafted infusers. Since we need about 140K Potency this go-around, I'd focus first on POT infusers, then Crit Bonus, then the others.
  20. Carynn Well-Known Member

The only way I can come up with, sans broker, is to do older dungeons that you can plow through very fast, then sell all the loot you get. I realize you need millions and millions of plat and this will only net you in the thousands, but it is something proactive at least.
    Soara2, Rosyposy and Malahk like this.