Any way to patch without using the launcher?

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Wizx13, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Wizx13 Member

My sub renewed 4 days ago, Had just got my Tradeskill Research Assistant for 1k dbc...../sigh.
  2. Malleria Well-Known Member

Curious why you think your computer can't run Windows 7. I find it very hard to believe a computer with specs below the minimum reqs for 7 could run EQ2.
  3. Melt Actually plays the game

Also, I'm relatively sure that even on older technology 7 ran better than Vista. Windows Vista is possibly the worst version ever put out. It ran on twice as much memory as any other system and hemorrhaged memory on everything. How could it not support 7 when vista is harder on your PC?
  4. Tiwi New Member

Same issue here. Everything else runs fine on my Vista and, unlike a apparently a lot of people, I can barely afford to pay the rent, much less invest in new computer equipment. And yeah...my account is 12 years old and some. That's a lot of monthly payments I've made. I guess I'll be better off saving the $16 a month. Sigh.
    Wizx13 likes this.
  5. Shmogre Well-Known Member

It does suck that launcher was updated, but Vista is now over 10 years old. Continuing to support it was holding the game and the developers back, and they had to make the tough choice to stop compatibility. Companies can't support outdated operating systems forever (especially now that the OS publisher themselves no longer support it).

Wishing folks the best...hopefully you can get a refund for unused time and with luck, you'll have the chance to play again in the future.
    Prissetta and Wizx13 like this.
  6. Wizx13 Member

I guess I was remembering the good ole days where a new xpac came out and I have to buy a new computer to play it! I found a compatibility test thingy on the internet and it says I can run it but there is a few things I need to upgrade (drivers im assuming) Now I gotta go thru and back up 10 years of memories on this computer so I can wipe it and do the upgrade....
    Shmogre and Prissetta like this.
  7. Malleria Well-Known Member

They kinda did you a favor then, if you have a 10 year old computer and haven't backed up anything that whole time it's long overdue ;)
    Wizx13 likes this.
  8. Wizx13 Member

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6670
    Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6758)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6758&SUBSYS_03EA1043&REV_00
    Display Memory: 2420 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 1013 MB
    Shared Memory: 1407 MB

All done!
    Everything works again !!!
    Malleria, Alenna and Shmogre like this.
  9. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Congrats...happy playing!!
    Wizx13 and Prissetta like this.
  10. That guy. Well-Known Member

Prissetta likes this.
  11. Ramohl New Member

Years ago when Sony broke the patcher on Win2000, I found a DLL Wrapper that fooled the program and supplied the functions needed to make it work. That kept me running for another couple of years till they made other changes that broke it irrevocably. I don't know if something like that exists for Vista, but I'm looking. I use an old Vista laptop for boxing, and I'd like to get it's functionality back.
  12. Vunder Well-Known Member

You could just use a linux sideboot, use wine to download the files you need (Wine will play eq2, windowed, with a little work) and then copy the file manually into your windows directory. Will have to do it with every patch, but its a workaround ive used plenty of times.