Spell Surging

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Subo, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Subo New Member

I played years ago and just recently got back into the game. I got one of my old chars to 100, did the KA questline and I'm working on ascension. I've gotten into a few groups and I keep hearing people announce to the group that they're surging their ascension abilities. I have a few questions about this:

1. What does it mean to "surge" an ability?
    2. What should I be doing when I know someone in my group is surging? (is it like VC where I should go all out with my biggest hitting stuff?)
    3. How do I surge my own abilities?

Also, I've gotten a couple Greater Fragments of Planar Energy. I believe these are used to improve ascension abilities but I have no idea how to go about it. Any help is greatly appreciated. :)
  2. Beee Well-Known Member

With the Fragments you can make your Epic 2.0 spells better : Awakened Abilities (copy link ingame)
  3. Subo New Member

Ah! Good to know, Thanks Beee!
    How do I use them though? Are they a recipe component? If so, where do I get the recipe?
  4. Earar Well-Known Member

receipe if from twark goblins craft weeklies

the fragments are drop from mission crests in mission (solo, adv solo, heroic expert or PQ)
  5. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

uh, the fragments and the surging aren't the same thing. There are ascension combos where if you cast a particular skill closely after another one lands from a different class, it increases in power, and you get a message that says 'revocation of life surges with power.'

The combinations are posted on here in a few places. One combination is glacial freeze and septic strike, for example.
    Gaelmyst likes this.
  6. Billzbub Active Member

To learn about surging: http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Ascension_Combos

Some raid forces turn their ascension abilities that start a combo into macros and add a raidsay that says something like "/r surge Levinbolt" to their ability that comes before a Levinbolt in the combo list. Then they have audible ACT triggers looking for the surge messages from others so they know when to cast their own combo-completing abilities.

There is an ACT plugin that has all of the audible triggers for each class, and you can use check boxes to choose which class you want to listen for at a given time. I don't remember where I got it, though.

Here's a short example of what I'm describing above:

Bob the Beastlord is an Etherealist. According to the combo list, his ability Etherflash surges the ability Virulent Outbreak, so he makes a macro that casts Etherflash and executes the command "/r surge Virulent Outbreak".

Carl the Conjurer is a Thaumaturgist. He makes an ACT audible trigger that looks for "surge Virulent Outbreak" and says it out loud. Whenever he hears that, he casts Virulent Outbreak hoping to complete the combo. If it works, then Virulent Outbreak hits twice instead of just once.

If a whole raid force does this, then the cacophony of ACT audible triggers can be a bit overwhelming on the pull, but the DPS of the raid force goes way up.
  7. Subo New Member

Thank you Billzbub! This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. That makes complete sense, and I'll start including this in my rotation. :)
  8. Mineeme Member

To get the ACT plugin that helps manage surge triggers, in ACT click the "Plugins" tab. Near the upper right corner there is a [Get Pugins..] button - press that. In the list of Plugin Titles, select "(69) Ascension Combos". Then press the [Download and Enable] button at the bottom.

Once it is downloaded, you will have an "AscensionCombos.cs" tab on the ACT Plugins page. Click that. Click around on that page and read the various help at the bottom to learn about how to set it up the way you want. It works basically as described by Subo above.
    santargria, Billzbub, Mermut and 3 others like this.
  9. Occam Well-Known Member

Great plugin! Thanks Mineeme! :)
  10. Fairin Active Member

who started saying surge instead of combo..... really.. > : (

ascension combo.. not ascension SURGE >.>
    DoomDrake likes this.
  11. Proen Member

Cuz when you do a combo, the game tells you that you surged that ability
    Cataclysm likes this.
  12. Mermut Well-Known Member

Are combo/surges group only or can they be triggered by anybody in the raid?
  13. Alphonsus Well-Known Member

Raid.
    Cataclysm likes this.
  14. Mermut Well-Known Member

15. ColdPlaya New Member

anyone have any idea exactly what the Surge does. im looking for a comprehensive breakdown of what the "extra trigger" is and what it does.