"This account is in use." message is ILLOGICAL

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Nixer, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Nixer Active Member

Primarily because it only is seen when I am SWITCHING to an ALT.

I mean if I am already logged in why am I receiving this message - SINCE I HAVE ALREADY LOGGED IN !!!

Logic and reasoning go hand in hand with good design and are fully supported by testing
    Feldon, Prissetta and Crastinal like this.
  2. Ursa Minor Well-Known Member

Because switching to an alt logs you out, then back in on the alt with the same password.

That's why if you hit "try again" at this error, the popup makes you enter the password again.

This is a timing issue. The client is disconnecting from the server, and trying to reconnect before the server has completed its disconnect process. Such are the drawbacks of having a really fast client.
    Jrox, Prissetta and Shmogre like this.
  3. Nixer Active Member

I am acutely aware of internet timing issues from proferssional experience in said field. As said, the design can be made ot accommodate such simple issues - but clearly it is not.
    Prissetta likes this.
  4. Gninja Developer

How are you exiting the game with your first character? /camp? /camp altname? /quit?
    Jrox likes this.
  5. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

I get the message occasionally when I /camp altname.
    Finora and Shmogre like this.
  6. Vilrath New Member

I get the same when I /camp altname
    Shmogre likes this.
  7. Gninja Developer

Out of curiosity, do you have other characters of the same alt name on different servers? Just gathering info so we can check it out.
  8. Azrael's Tear Active Member

I get this a lot when camping between alts (/camp altname) and end up having to enter my password again to continue to log in on that toon. This happens at least once a day, sometimes more if I am camping back and forth a lot.
    Shmogre likes this.
  9. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

All my alts' names are unique, although I have re-used a few names of deleted toons.
  10. Feylone Active Member

This hits me when I /camp alt name. Sometimes it doesn't. But that's a good day. It happened one day everytime I did that. And no Gninja. All my toons are on the same server, HoF.
    Shmogre likes this.
  11. Frubar Member

I usually start getting this message after I /camp altname on my 7th, 8th or 9th alt. I try to run through all my alts every day to accomplish certain tasks (check pack pony, broker, tradeskill assistant, or tinkering/transmuting/adorning quests, etc.). It will also happen once in a while when zoning or entering prestige housing. I have noticed this for a few months now and it happens 1-5 times daily after a few hours of play.
    Shmogre likes this.
  12. Frubar Member

All my toons are on Halls of Fate server.
  13. Shmogre Well-Known Member

I also get "This account is in use" fairly frequently (enough that I notice and grumble). Felt more frequent once KA launched, though that could just be confirmation bias as I played more in the new expansion.

All toons are on Maj'Dul, happens when camping from one toon to another (/camp altname), no pattern to which toon it happens to that I can notice.
    Vilrath and Prissetta like this.
  14. Nixer Active Member

and
    I'm using '/camp altname' to change characters and all characters I have on my only active account are on Maj'Dul and uniquely named. The only thing I've noticed is that this seems to happen more when there is more activity on the server - such as late afternoon, early evening or weekends. It has been going on for quite a long time but it just got the best of me yesterday when I must've hit it 8-10 times in 20 character switches in slightly over an hour. Well thanks for the interest an g'luck.
    Prissetta and Shmogre like this.
  15. Gninja Developer

Yeah, it sounds like your old character hasn't processed out of the server when trying to log in the new one. That could easily be caused by lag/load on server. We'll look into it but these sort of issues are inherently difficult to track down.
  16. Svenone Well-Known Member

Perhaps increasing the camp time back to the original 30 seconds would help? This problem has been happening for a long time, and while I can not say so for certain, it seens to have started after the database software changed. I know I have noticed other things (house furniture, in particular) take a lot longer now.
    Prissetta likes this.
  17. Gninja Developer

Changing the camp time won't affect this, its the time from when your client doesn't show the game anymore to when the engine thinks the character is no longer in the world.
  18. Nixer Active Member

So perhaps I should change my approach to switching between alts to something like '/camp' then select character. Perhaps that may allow enough time for status to settle down between client and server. I'll try to start using this approach in the future.
  19. Gninja Developer

Possibly.
  20. Nixer Active Member

well 20 different alts using /camp then character select and 0 {zero} messages. late afternoon PST. This approach may work out - I'll try to keep track and update here every few days.
    Prissetta likes this.