Discord but not forums? Tells you something...

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by santargria, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Dude Well-Known Member

According to what you quoted, "If you want to remain highly engaged you will have to go where the team is communicating these bits of information." Maybe you should ask that question in Discord.
  2. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

LOL! :p
    Jrox and Dude like this.
  3. Mugwort Active Member

What works for shuffleboard fans might not work for contact sports fans. Like comparing apples and oranges. Those other games (that zombie game which broke records with concurrent players while our servers suffered with login issues) have a different type of player. Trying to unify that experience into one is like asking shuffleboard enthusiast to engage in futball.

The other game players are comfortably into twitch and E-Sports, and EQ2 players aren't.

Give Decorators an incentive to use Twitch, fix EQ2's glitchy presence on Steam and don't let it gather cobwebs. The rate EQ2 decorators upload YouTube Videos, the EQ2 presence should be looking good in no time and can dominate the Daybreak scene.
    Prissetta likes this.
  4. Finora Well-Known Member

Except traditionally it's the producer that makes big announcements like expansions and significant updates, and I don't think I've ever seen her on discord.
    santargria, Jrox and Mizgamer62 like this.
  5. Jrox Well-Known Member

Dont think he was saying anything about anyone. I think he was giving what Errrorr said a name! ;)
    Prissetta likes this.
  6. Jrox Well-Known Member

I would also like to point out that reading the forums, and communicating in them are two very different things. It's good they read the forums that is a fantastic footnote! :D

Now joining in the discussions and sharing upcoming information about the game would be the pinacle! Wait, whuuu o_O
    santargria and Mizgamer62 like this.
  7. Jrox Well-Known Member

As it should not be in discord! This would definitely be something for the forums. And unless I'm mistaken even one of them said as much in the last few days. It's definitely not something for discord, as that would be a waste of PR/advertising if you want it seen and stickied to build excitement in the community. I look forward to the new release as I pray for some of the changes that have been discussed here in the forums! A friend who sits in discord while he is at work stated they did mention changes coming with the new release. But nothing as far as when!
    Azian and Mizgamer62 like this.
  8. Phaedrix Active Member

Point taken about remaining highly engaged. The problem is that there's a fundamental difference between the previous venues of high engagement named by RadarX (forums, social media, EQ2Flames, EQ2Wire), on the one hand, and Discord on the other: with Discord, there's no consistently saved record left for anybody who wasn't there when the communication took place. Missed it? Sorry!

To privilege Discord represents a deliberate choice to radically limit the possibility of being "highly engaged" in the first place. I wouldn't call that communication in the same way that the previous venues enabled communication. It's like comparing /tell with /shout.
  9. Dude Well-Known Member

A long time ago, we had this conversation.

In response, you said this:
    Maybe it's time to re-evaluate.
  10. RadarX Community Manager

I just checked the Post tracker and it appears to me they are using both these channels effectively. I didn't say identically or with parity and if those weren't clear expectations I'll own that. I believe we're all operating under the assumption there would be exactly the same amount of communication if we didn't use Discord which based on the regular metrics I track, I don't believe to be true.

This has opened up additional communication the community hasn't had before in real time. It's really not like the forums.

For those of you concerned about missing things, honestly you can do what I do. Search by Devs name at the top right and it'll bring up everything they've said with context posts. It takes me about 90 seconds a day to skim through these (most of them aren't about gameplay changes). Some will obviously argue they shouldn't have to do this and I'll respect that opinion but point back to my highly engaged comment. This is where the next level information is and if you want that preview (you can always still wait for a Test/Game Update), it's readily available.
  11. MikeySaysGo Member

Ok I just checked this post tracker. It's mostly your posts. No offense that's good glad someone is paying attention. The main issue is we want news as to what's being done to the game as it is well known the game is in a horrible state and has been for a long while now. I personally have created threads with thousands of views addressing daybreak and the developers of this game right in the title and still no response from them.
    Steelviper, Dude, Meneltel and 3 others like this.
  12. Shmogre Well-Known Member

With respect, this shouldn't apply to things like current game-breaking bugs. Things (especially unintended bugs) that affect the players and game as it is right now should be communicated through the official forums and accounts.

A good example is the recent bug with Vihgoh in Xalgozian Stronghold Solo. This was acknowledged by a dev in Discord and an ETA for a fix was given, but there was no communication to the players beyond that. That led to multiple threads in the forums about the issue and countless questions in in-game chat, and it left it to the players to pass on the information.

While no amount of forum posts will stop people from asking without searching (a bane of tech support people everywhere), something like that needs to be communicated in a less-ephemeral medium. Speculations and teases about upcoming content or features? Sure, let the players suss it out themselves. News about known bugs and that they are being worked on and have a date for a fix should definitely come from the showrunners themselves, as a show of ownership, responsibility, and transparency.
    Jrox, Mizgamer62, santargria and 2 others like this.
  13. Gninja Developer

Best comparison would be to treat Discord like the in game chat channels. Devs/QA often do not have time to hang out in game and talk in chat, although we do from time to time. With Discord we can be in chat and answer simple questions in real time as we would if we were in the in game chat channels without having to have the game loaded 24/7. We have in the past said not to quote us, but that's usually because it is possible to change or we aren't sure on the answer and don't want to be misquoted. The other reason is often quotes are taken out of context which can lead to a lot of misconceptions. Asking folks in Discord not to quote us is the exception not the rule. Most things said there we do not ask for players not to repeat.

We do actively read both forums and discord as well as /bug and /feedback. I realize it might not look that way but we do. Going into detailed answers for questions on the forums typically opens up a can of worms which costs us extra time because then we need to keep an eye on the thread and hope it doesn't get derailed by other random questions having nothing to do with the topic. More often than not when we post on a thread it derails the thread to the point it usually has to be locked because so many players try to get their burning questions answered because they saw a red name made a comment.
    Enoibia and MikeySaysGo like this.
  14. MikeySaysGo Member

Can you guys please just give us some news as to what your working on? New Servers?
    Mizgamer62 and HaphazardAllure like this.
  15. Gninja Developer

Coming soon! No, really it is.. :)
    Siren, Jrox, Dude and 1 other person like this.
  16. Finora Well-Known Member

I feel maybe you are missing some of what we are saying, so I'll take what I'm concerned with specifically.

We can search for redname activity on the forums. Most of the red names are pretty active, at least in whichever area is their specialty.

I know what I've personally been missing, and probably others as well is direct information about the future, such as oh...producer's letters.

We've heard precious little concrete information on our preferred game's upcoming future, particularly from Windstalker. I just did a search for the heck of it and the last we heard was Dec 22, 2016. Prior to that the it was May 24, 2016. That's some seriously long times between big official info drops.

The last time we had something new in News and Announcements prior to the announcement for the server maintenance was back in Feb in regards to HoF server being broken.

We generally pretty reliably get update notes & conversations with the devs, but the information about what is coming up is seriously lacking. I'd say the worst I've seen in years & I've played Eq since 1999 and Eq2 since 2004. Well, that brings out a bit of doom and gloom in the most rosy-viewed of us.
  17. Finora Well-Known Member

That's good to know.
    Jrox, Mizgamer62 and HaphazardAllure like this.
  18. Meneltel Well-Known Member

So is the Second Coming...
  19. Dude Well-Known Member

Not everyone will appreciate that answer, but I appreciate the fact that you're answering here. :)
    Siren likes this.
  20. Jrox Well-Known Member

As do I. And New servers sounds like a great move. But I still can't help but wonder what is up with the Spring content drop. We haven't heard a peep! Not even a rumor!