Discord but not forums? Tells you something...

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by santargria, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Feldon Well-Known Member

I was asked personally and then we have been told several times publicly in Discord chat that the devs would "be in trouble" if information they post from Discord is repeated on another site. Yes, I could take the information they post and string together articles on EQ2Wire. Then the devs would leave Discord and who's head would that be on? I'm complying with a request of the developers. It's basic respect.

I have never been banned from the EQ2 Discord. I could have held my tongue and stayed as long as I wanted. I banned about 6 people, a fraction of the number banned by devs.
    Phaedrix, Malleria, Jrox and 3 others like this.
  2. Feldon Well-Known Member

I have explained to the devs and Community repeatedly why this is happening. When there is a trickle of communication, people will pile on and try to ask THEIR question. This is not the player's fault nor is this a reason to stop further communication. If communication were frequent, then this issue would go away. If communication were of a high quality, then other players would help patrol and defend developers from the abuse you speak of. But when communication happens almost never, yes, you are going to have people unhappy and nobody rushing to the defense of devs.

It's basic sociology.
  3. Prayos Well-Known Member

I remember when some devs posted some KA info into Discord before announcements. Feldon specifically asked if he could post it on EQ2Wire. The response was an overwhelming "could you not". Like, it just doesn't make any sense.
    Mizgamer62, Feldon and Prissetta like this.
  4. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

The information on Discord is NOT "official" as I understand it. It's interesting, and sometimes we get a sneak peek at stuff coming in the future, but it's not going to be posted on the forums until something "official" is released.
  5. Prayos Well-Known Member

I found the chat log for it.
    Mizgamer62, Prissetta and Feldon like this.
  6. Dude Well-Known Member

It's one of the reasons that I predict the next expansion is the last expansion. If I were a developer, why would I waste time talking to people about fixing things that I know will never be fixed?
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  7. Raff Well-Known Member

I use the forums. Don't really care about Discord. But I really don't care who uses either method.
    Meneltel likes this.
  8. Jrox Well-Known Member

If even then, honestly.:rolleyes:

Just sayin...
    Mizgamer62, santargria and Prissetta like this.
  9. Azian Well-Known Member

This is true and it's not good. As I said earlier in this thread, I've come to appreciate Discord for what it is, an immediate source of communication between players and the devs. However, we are lacking other attention on the main boards.

My biggest concern with your overall premise falls in the above part I quoted and bolded. I've been playing since 2004 and following the forums roughly daily since maybe sometime a year or so after that. I do not ever recall seeing as much communication from the dev teams as we currently do in the Discord channel. It's not the source or location that most in this thread are looking for but the "communicate less and less" part is certainly not happening at this time when Discord is taken into account.
    Jrox likes this.
  10. Ratza Well-Known Member

I think the interaction with the devs on Discord is GREAT!
    But
    I think communication by/from DB about state of game, updates, special events, upcoming development, etc is pretty much non-existent for at least a year.....that is where this team is failing us as players. Anyone who thinks no news is good news is not listening to their subscribers - we the players.
    Steelviper, Jrox, Prissetta and 2 others like this.
  11. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

I guess the question is;

Is it the Dev team failing in their communication, or is it the community/marketing team who should really be doing a lot of the stuff people want who are failing...

All these events and such must be planned a little bit in advanced, surely it's the community team who should be writing the articles, posting them and so on? Let the developers continue working on the actual game.

Radarx? Roshen? Holly? Lauren? Dexella?
    Justaplayer, ugloopni and Azian like this.
  12. santargria Well-Known Member

The biggest issue I'm having at the moment with Discord is I wonder if anyone is mentioning things that are really important to the community - such as the state of the zones being nerfed?

What about the fact that alts are no longer relative, new players have a more "grindish" way of catching up to their peers?

Is anyone asking about these issues? Why did they think nerfing entire zones was the solution to an easy problem to fix?

I understand immediate access when bugs are found - personally I'm not going to debug a program unless someone is paying me to do it - but since I am a paying customer I want to know about the things and issues that effect the community as a whole

Or is someone bringing up these issues and getting banned for doing so, hmmm?
    Meneltel likes this.
  13. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Apart from the fact only about 6 zones were changed... Yes issues have been brought up like this. In fact they are repeatedly, and answered repeatedly.
  14. santargria Well-Known Member

That's odd since no one is officially saying anything here!
    Jrox and Meneltel like this.
  15. RadarX Community Manager

Critical news and announcements are always going to be posted as part of update notes. Where I think some of you will likely disagree with me is on what is critical information. An impending change to an item or zone is important subjectively to each user.

Traditionally those of you in the forum community who are highly engaged have found everything you could possibly want to know about what the team is saying here. Over time that has changed whether it was social media, EQ2 Flames (if you've been here that long), or EQ2 Wire and while I can completely understand the desire for it, at this point I have to set expectations.

If you want to remain highly engaged you will have to go where the team is communicating these bits of information. In terms of feedback I know for fact the team is reading these forums every single day and that isn't going to change.
  16. Feldon Well-Known Member

[IMG]
    santargria, Azian and Jrox like this.
  17. Dude Well-Known Member

I don't get the shade thing.
    Siren likes this.
  18. Dakotta New Member

19. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Or being treated like mushrooms...
    santargria and Jrox like this.
  20. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

Any idea as to when we can expect an announcement of upcoming plans for EQ2 such as the April update (since it is now April)?
    HaphazardAllure and Finora like this.