Mercs make PQs unbearable

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Revel, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Entropy Well-Known Member

They made them harder a few weeks back but we started getting powerful stuff like epic dumb fires and good ascension nukes. There were a few other class abilities that were hitting unusually hard as well. It masked the difficulty and made them still killable in a reasonable amount of time. As they "fix" the damage output of players it gets much harder. I just did a JW statue that we failed. I was nearly 50% of the total parse just myself, and there were 60+ players and god knows how many mercs there.

It's going to need toned back down or people just won't want to do this anymore. The other option is wait a month or two until more people have epics and it might be bearable again.

I do very strongly believe that mercs shouldn't be counting as players to scale the PQ though. How many people are bringing the "geared Clazzakla" vs how many people run around with a useless Zhugrus?
  2. Revel Well-Known Member

Yep, see it all the time in ACT. 5 or 6 players make up about 80% of the damage and other 70 people in the zone and their mercs do negligible damage. Shows me there is a lot of AFKers abusing mercs.
  3. Revel Well-Known Member

Ah, you're one of those. I guess its impossible for you to have to actually group with anyone for heals.
  4. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Or you keep asking and shouting for a raid invite and never get one... so why not have your healer out? At least you know THIS healer will just heal you and not run around DPSing... unless you want it to!
  5. Imilla Member

It's not the AFKers, it's because the only people able to do any kind of damage are etherealists with Ethershadow Assassin and assassins and beastlords with epic pets that can still do over a million dps. Before last weeks patch poisons did some damage, they removed poison damage and that dropped other scouts dps below 100k.

Not sure how good the elementalist level 10 pet dps is after the pet nerf. Anyway, my epic hawk does an awesome 1k dps or thereabouts.
    Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr likes this.
  6. Kari Well-Known Member

I did a Fens PQ this evening and it took over 40 minutes. It was excruciating.
  7. Gemo Member

Jarsath Wastes Public Quest is broken. Thank you very much DBG. Been running it for weeks and have had no problems, maybe a little too easy at times, but now it's almost impossible without elite DPS. I am not sure what you did to break it, either trying to make mercs count as players or what, but I am not going to be doing any more of them until you fix this. One of the best things added to the game and you can't seem to get it right. Please try again. I don't want it easy, but near impossible is not fun either. Very VERY frustrated at the way it's working now. I don't even feel like I am helping with it now, so why waste time and drag others down with it?
  8. Mysstie Well-Known Member

I haven't been on in a couple days so I don't know what the latest patch has done. But, even though I mash my buttons all the time and use the Elementalist nukes I have, I'll at most appear in the 1% damage amount in ACT. If it wasn't for the top 5 people or so that do 80% of the damage, it would take forever. I just figured those were raid geared people with max everything or whatever.
  9. Fleurs Active Member

Why not? That would render all tank merc useless, and the people like me who make the Kylong plain hydra step on every tentacle by using a 100% hate mod Claz'zakla with mercenary taunt necklace unable to.. If i can avoid everyone to suffer from a tank that don't bother moving the hydra, or some lame player keeping the hydra underwater, better for everyone. My Mercenary is well mastered, full reforge, adorned, i even gave him a player relic breastplate, he kick *** when played properly.
    Well played mercs should not be rendered useless because of the passive Zugrus legion.
  10. Earar Well-Known Member

Then teach those players instead of saying that.
    Not everybody tried to max his toon
    When I came back, didn't even know addorns were that important and what to use and a bice group member offered me 5 purple addorns and told me of the mount.
    This game has a lot of hidden mecanics that u won't get unless u know where to look. And not everybody has time or desire to look for that. Or even be aware they they should look for it.

And only KP takes time. The other now are done in max 5 minutes. Usually more 1 or 2 minutes, depending on the number and quality of people
  11. Udonn Active Member

Had someone today send me a tell to drop my merc. His reason was it makes the mob harder when there are mercs out. I understand the mob scales somewhat to the number of players, but I highly doubt mercs are included in that calculation. I've not seen any dev state otherwise, and until a dev clarifies this is true, I will continue to have my merc out, unless I am in a group or raid. I usually prefer to solo, so I have my dedicated healer and rezzer. Every PQ lately, there is someone shouting in zone for everyone to drop their mercs, as if they know this is a fact. I personally, before today's patch, have not had any PQ's that were problems when everyone had mercs out. The OP's opinion is noted, but that is all it is at this point, an opinion, that many of us disagree with, and we won't comply even when getting tells, or seeing it in shout over and over again.
  12. Malleria Well-Known Member

I remember back at launch people were convinced that if no one in the raid had a merc out then no one would receive merc gear as a reward. Man, did that theory die fast :)
  13. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Maybe if we had more bruisers and monks in our groups we might get less of that gear to drop from heroics?
  14. Wurm Well-Known Member

If I took the time to talk to every player I see with empty adorn slots, I'd have no time to do anything else.

SOE / DBG has been giving out free white adorns for years now, you can't tell me people don't know how to equip them. Even if its not the right choice any adorn is better than none.

I love helping people in game, but I'm not going to make myself into the adornment police.
  15. Xerikton Active Member

I use my healer merc to heal and an occasional rez in kp. with the lag they do a better job than any healer ever could. I have orcy on passive so he will do just that. it has been like this from day one. not really sure what all of your whining is all about.

perhaps you need to omit all of the poorly geared alts people are now playing if you are serious on improving the dps in said events. but even then and now bosses are dying so I really don't know what is the point of this thread. perhaps for jw some of you need to learn to trade skill so the catapults get made in a timely manner. that is something I often see go undone.
  16. Azian Well-Known Member

Yeah, because most people want and are receptive to "constructive criticism" from random strangers that they just did a PQ with.

The funny thing is, I don't normally even run mercs in PQs. But, I find that assertions of the OP as fact on things that are completely speculative to be very irritating. Specifically, that the mercs change the difficulty level of the encounter. That strikes me as being extremely improbable. I also have no problem with others running mercs as they see fit. If I do choose to run a merc, it's for the reasons others have stated about getting rezzed or cured.

All in all, if you don't want to run a merc, then don't. If I do, I will. In the meantime, I'll feel free to ignore nonsense from people like the OP on the matter.
  17. Wurm Well-Known Member

Don't know who told you that, but none of the etherealist spells really work during PQs. Which really sucks IMHO.

18. Revel Well-Known Member

Would be nice if a dev would chime in one way or another on this issue wouldn't it?
    Prissetta and Udonn like this.
  19. Chrol Developer

PQ mobs only consider player characters when altering their hitpoints or any other stat, not mercenaries and not pets.
  20. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Thanks much for the clarification/confirmation, Chrol...much appreciated!
    Prissetta likes this.