"X" added to my characters!!! ANGRY!

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Tika, Jan 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. santargria Well-Known Member

At first glance this seems logical - but after thinking about it (and I greatly appreciate those in the military protecting my freedoms to actually post this) they fall into the same category as not playing for a year or more

Here's the thing:

If you're in the military, your mind is elsewhere and hopefully not on a game such as this.

When you're discharged, you return to civilian life and will start a new - just like if they left a job to go off to war. They may get preference in returning, but do you expect a company to hold a job for someone?

What if they're injured or worse in battle?

I seriously doubt anyone in the military and shipped off to protect us is not worrying about the name of their toon being changed! I doubt they even remember how to play or what toons they have!
  2. Skpamd Active Member

Hi. I am sorry for your loss. Back when they did the server merges a lot of people got hit with the z or x factor, including guilds. My guild for example got hit with the zzz factor, although our guild was active and all the guilds with the same name hadn't had a single person come on, in years. We weren't happy about it and honestly Daybreak could have handled it better putting those guilds that were active ahead of the line and allowing us to keep our guild names. I was lucky almost all my characters got to keep their name, I only had one I had to change and I just added an h and an extra n which I do not play her but once every couple of months, I was so glad my main, which I play almost exclusively didn't have to change her name. It bothered me far less than having to change our guild name which really made me mad. You should get a free name change and I hope you will reconsider leaving the game, we need nice peeps.
  3. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Why do we even discuss things like this? What difference does it make who's in the military and who's not. This isnt the first time ive seen the military as an argument on these forums, where i come from we are'nt as obsessed with the military so i dunno, maybe i just dont see the argument. Nobody owns their names on the servers, DBG owns them, they can do whatever they want with them. So if u do not pay or play ur account for more then a year, those names should be open for the public to use again. Just like u dont get to keep ur specific phone number if u dont use it / pay for it for long enough, no matter reason, military or not.
  4. harvash Active Member

Aside from the obvious truth to you saying that we had other things to worry about - there are clear laws about employment and returning veterans.

I don't want to derail this thread, the laws are just a Google search away - company's MUST not only re-hire the veteran, but also provide any benefits regarding tenure and longevity.

As for being injured, the law is also quite clear on employer responsibilities regarding "Reasonable Accommodation". This means the employer must take reasonable steps to support the disabled person (whether military or not!). Installing ramps, providing wheelchair access, etc.

So, now that I am thinking it through...DBG might very well be in violation of the law regarding a service members status....i'll leave that as an exercise for the lawyer-types :)

Thank a Vet Today!
    santargria likes this.
  5. santargria Well-Known Member

Thank you for your service and clearing up the legalities ;)
    harvash likes this.
  6. Adevil Well-Known Member

Almost all of my characters retained their names. The one hit hardest (think it was 4 or 5 z's got added) actually hadn't shown as having any conflicting names when i checked u.eq2wire. I was shocked how many z's she ended up having post-consolidation. All I can guess is that everyone else had disabled EQ2Share. Also I didn't check to see if the name with z, zz, zzz, etc. were already taken so there might have been some unrenamed toons from previous mergers around that boosted her z-count.
  7. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

On a side note, I actually saw a name the other day with a ý the other day. I hadn't tried that in years, but last time I tried, I got the "That is not a valid name" blablabla thing.
    Soo, maybe, just maybe, we can do that now? (Possibly it was a toon that was brought over from a foreign server or something and it got to keep the letter, but the character create screen might not support it... I don't have any slots to test it with.)

Might give some hope to those who can't find names though.

(And did any one else that lost a name feel kinda pissed off when DBG gave Fatality back it's name but basically told the rest of us that wanted our names back that we could go blank ourselves? -.- And yes, I did report the greifer that got my name and sent me the tells, and basically, the reply I got was that DBG didn't care, those were the rules on how names were decided. Must be nice to be the pet raid guild.)
    Prissetta and Meneltel like this.
  8. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

Yah. XD My hubby's toon wound up being Nightmarezzzzz. (He quit, but more out of frustration with how they could do one thing like cross server travel, but they do a merger instead, among other less than player pleasing decisions.)

I've lost nearly a dozen names over the three mergers I've been dragged screaming though. I'm still here, but I'm not so close minded as to not understand why some would quit over losing a name. Imagine you went to a new school and they gave you a new name weather you wanted one or not. Trying to find a name that doesn't look like garbdy guk these days is no small task.
    That being said, returning players shouldn't come back to a stolen name, they should com back to the open possibilities of open server travel.
  9. Arconiat New Member

Not thanking a warmonger

Plus I think military members from other countries play... Guess what, as much as you like to think, the world doesn't revolve around the US
  10. Meneltel Well-Known Member

It should, considering how often in the past century we saved many countries rears! *grins* However, that doesn't mean we don't appreciate their sacrifice before we got involved in those struggles before hand. If they hadn't resisted the aggressors for years before we got involved, we wouldn't have fared as well. So for those in the military (and under civilian control), I do salute you!
    santargria and harvash like this.
  11. Adevil Well-Known Member

Although, since Daybreak is located in the US, it will have to follow those laws that harvash cited.
    harvash and Prissetta like this.
  12. Crastinal Active Member

uh-oh the thread is just on track to get locked....
  13. Dude Well-Known Member

Soldiers aren't warmongers. No good soldier wants to go to war because it's the soldiers and their friends who pay the price when we go to war. The only real warmongers are politicians. They're the ones who gets us into wars.
    Katz, harvash, Meneltel and 3 others like this.
  14. harvash Active Member

If you do manage to get down off the horse from that height without breaking your neck (which would be truly a shame), perhaps you'll note I did not not say what country I was from - nice of you to infer the US. Makes me wonder what axe you have to grind. I am truly saddened if you don't understand the freedoms you enjoy (regardless of country, at least in most cases) due to a soldier's sacrifice.

As far as warmonger...interesting term. I feel a soldier's job is to defend their nation, much like you might defend your own home. But, feel free to let the next burglar come in and take your stuff and perhaps harm your family - btw, don't call the police, I hear those agencies are full of previous warmongers, wouldnt want that.

men can only be highly civilized while other men, inevitably less civilized, are there to guard and feed them ~ Orwell

I am done here...sorry for the interruption and de-railment.
    santargria and Prissetta like this.
  15. RadarX Community Manager

Folks we've had a few too many forum guideline violations in here so we're going to put this one away.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.