Mercs and pets not attacking?

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Uncleheavy, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Uncleheavy New Member

Haven't found anything recent about this, so.

Whenever I send in my merc to attack a target, she runs up to it, stops several yards away and kinda "assumes the position". Won't engage it in any way, just stands facing the mob looking like she's trying to ehhh...do the haka or something. Vittia Direshadow, by the way. All mobs I tried, all zones, different sessions, etc. Stop-and-haka.

Got fed up with this so tried an alt with a different merc - same result. Tried with my little necro with her little macro to send in both pet and merc, and they *both* stop short of mobs and stand there waving things.

I don't use a custom UI, although the problem seems mechanical rather than a display issue in any case.

Anyone else having this or had this and was able to resolve? As a player of squishies who hide behind tanks, having to pull every mob myself to get them to fight it is less than ideal.
    EQ_Jack and Ceyllynn like this.
  2. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

Yup I have had this problem for a while. I did find if you pull the mob to the merc so they are in range they will attack. Mercs have always been meh for me, I always see reports but nothing ever done to try and fix it, that I have seen. They get worse over time, for me.
    Ceyllynn likes this.
  3. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

i've been having it off and on as well... nevermind healing me... and i am using the default UI.
  4. Conifur Well-Known Member

Was in a zone and the player was lying there dead with Zhugrus just looking at him. I grp'd with him and used my Vet rez to get him up. They are not working very well.
    Illeara likes this.
  5. Bella222 Active Member

I have been having the same problem ever since the new expansion. Before the expansion the mercs attacked beautifully. Now I have to attack first. Both are fighter mercs.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  6. Lojaak Well-Known Member

Yup, I can't do some raid mechanics because the pet/merc won't attack for me on things I can't attack on (like Hand of Vallon Challenge round 3)
  7. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Had this problem a couple of times prior to the expansion launching. Now after the launch of KA, I may as well just go in get myself killed and lay there, that is probably what would happen with a merc along, I just don't have to pay their salary for the privilege.

Cyrrena
  8. Phileas New Member

9. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

[IMG]

While its funny watching him walk sideways following him and not attacking, this is the most annoying zone with the merc issue, for me. The rest of the zones for the most part I can get him to attack.
  10. Jamiss Developer

I'm always hesitant to say I'm looking into something and not have a timeline, because it can cause more frustration. But, I have noticed this and I'm looking into what the cause is. As stated, I don't have a timeline for the fix.
    Juraiya, Quillyne, Illeara and 9 others like this.
  11. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

For me, it don't cause more frustration, it lets us know you are looking into it. No response is what can cause frustration for a lot I would think. Thank you for letting us know :)
  12. Lojaak Well-Known Member

What shaggy said, Jamiss. At least we know it's been noted and it's an issue, and not just us being bad somewhere.
    ShaggyBodom, Shmogre and Cyrrena like this.
  13. EQ_Jack Active Member

yup seeing same problem. using /merc attack seems to make it slightly better ...but maybe its just my imagination. it IS a problem though
  14. Jamiss Developer

Alright, so upon further research into this. It seems that it happens extremely sporadically. For instance: I noticed it while I was playing the other night, but on the same character in the same spot today I am unable to reproduce it. Does anyone have an exact specific situation they are encountering it in that they can reproduce it 100% of the time?

ShaggyBodom that specific zone the pathing seems a little bit weird whenever those floor spirals are involved. For a spot fix, you might have to manually walk your backed-off mercenary around the spiral. I'll look into some sort of a fix for that specifically.
    Shmogre likes this.
  15. Finora Well-Known Member

I've seen it a couple of times in dungeons or other places where the decor of the place gets in the way. For instance, last night when I was running through the Frostfell instance where you have to pick up the presents my merc refused to follow me around a corner.

For me, when this happens, if I drag the monster back over to where my mercenary is standing, she will fight as normal. It really almost seems like it's a line of sight issue as I said in my first post about it in the other thread.

Hopefully, me or someone else can find a situation that produces the bug 100% of the time for you, so we can get this fixed!
  16. Jamiss Developer

Yes, I have a sneaking suspicion it's a line of sight issue. I've noticed this in the past as well. So, if I can find a 100% reproducing location I can easily figure out what the cause is and try to work on a fix.
    Finora and Shmogre like this.
  17. Wurm Well-Known Member

I just logged in to make a merc related thread, I can report that the aforementioned issue doesn't seem to be happening with Claz'zakla. However Raffik is notorious when it comes to just stopping during combat. Claz'zakla sometimes gets lost if the zone has teleporters though.

Now to the reason I was going to make a thread. Amends just seems to have stopped working with Claz'zakla. If he (she?) takes agro (which lately seems to be almost every encounter) I have to drop every snap I have to get it back, and I know that is not how its supposed to be working.
  18. Tekka Well-Known Member

I am able to reproduce this 100% of the time in Icy Keep (hard) with the boss on each tower. The mercenary stops at the top of the ramp and refuses to engage unless I bring the mob to the merc. I tested it on my main, when I noticed in on an alt.
  19. Jamiss Developer

But it does engage if you bring the mob to the merc?
  20. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

Yes it is very sporadic, I never know which fight it will happen on, but its a daily occurrence. I do want to say it happens more with bosses over trash mobs though. Trash tends to get into range easier. I will keep an eye on that.

Thanks for info on that zone to, that is an "every single time" occurrence. I am able to defeat that boss fine even without merc but I know that shouldn't be happening (it happens with the boss after him to).

I find this works for most situations, if you are able to (haven't tried Icy Keep (Hard)). For me, the merc does still taunt when he is to far, sometimes making getting aggro impossible to pull mob to him closer. But putting merc on passive, and when merc runs back to you, sometimes the mob will run into range, have merc attack when in range and it will be fine.

I hope you can find the problem area, thank you so much for looking into this. We appreciate it!