Restore Deleted Character Process

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Krizani, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Krizani Active Member

I just restored a deleted character through the option on my Character Select screen, paid my DBC and... she's not in my regular available characters, still shows as deleted.

Does this process take time, like a day or two to restore the files?

I did log out and restart the game, same result.

TIA!
  2. Krizani Active Member

Anyone? Even hearing how it's worked for others would be a useful data point :)
  3. Krizani Active Member

Okay, finally found some info in older posts - for those who also wonder: 2 -7 days to wait. As long as the server wasn't deleted, apparently, hah.
  4. Jamiss Developer

If you're using the restore process at the login screen it shouldn't take 2-7 days. It should be fairly quick. If you've already logged out and restarted the game, it's something we'll need to investigate further.
    SierraDawn likes this.
  5. Jamiss Developer

After some investigation it looks like the character that you're trying to restore was deleted before your server merged. It would not be available for a restore. It's likely that the reason that you're still seeing it is that it is cached. If you remove your logincache folder from your EQ2 directory you shouldn't see that character any more.
    SierraDawn likes this.
  6. Krizani Active Member

Thank you so much for looking into this in detail, and so quickly!

And foo, thought I'd deleted her after the merge, sigh. Oh well, another little project for me... gotta grow a tadpole into a frog again ;)
    SierraDawn likes this.
  7. Arandar Well-Known Member

I don't think that's the case. I still see deleted characters that were deleted prior to the server merges, after a reinstall of the client (which would mean the login cache was non-existent). It looks like you actually "merged" the delete character, although I suspect that if I actually did try to recover it, I wouldn't be able to. Bottom line, I think there's some funk in your code there.

Which brings me to this thought. Is there an way to tell the game to purge all of those deleted characters. Some secret handshake to tell your servers that we really, honestly and truly do not and will never ever want these toons again?
    Juraiya likes this.
  8. Krizani Active Member

Interesting comment Kurzan. I've followed Jamiss' advice and twice deleted the logincache folder and they're all still there if I click the "show deleted" option,

Also, I decided to reroll the toon I was trying to recover and wasn't able to use the same name - I suspect my own deleted toon was still holding that name. That name also doesn't show on the search at EQU, though I do know that not every character in the game is listed there.
  9. Jamiss Developer

Hrm, let me dig a bit more on this and I'll see what I can find.
    Kuulei and Prissetta like this.
  10. Merriel Well-Known Member

Jamiss, I'm curious...my secondary account went from AllAccess to silver a while back before the merger. Some time AFTER the merger, a character was erroneously deleted on the account but she was among the two characters I could not play because of too many character slots on the account for a silver (five characters, three slots). She was a paid for heroic character, however, and I'm curious as to whether she would still be able to be restored since she was deleted AFTER the merger, despite her not being able to be played at that time. Or will the game not recognize her for restoration, since she was never logged into the new server? Finances have prevented me from restoring her yet, and it's been a few months since she was deleted, but I don't want to pay the restoration fee if it turns out she won't be able to be restored anyways. Her name is Whytediamond on Maj'dul server (originally Butcherblock), if that helps any. Thank you!
  11. Tekka Well-Known Member

If you pay to have a character restored, and it fails, do you get your money back?
  12. Krizani Active Member

Yes, you do. Mine was refunded very quickly
    Merriel and Tekka like this.
  13. Merriel Well-Known Member

Still waiting for a reply from Jamiss or another staff member to my previous post above. Hate to have to open a new thread when one that applies is already in existence. :)
  14. Punchie Member

I just tried to do a character restore earlier this morning (3-4 hours) and after seeing no change searched and found this thread... So first my question is, if this is now an "automated" process, then why would it take 2-7 days? The only reason I could see that we would have to wait is that you guys programmed the function to only finalize after a server update? Anyway, just thought I'd ask since Jamiss said "it should be fairly quick"
  15. Jamiss Developer

Alright, so I've been looking into this. I'm gonna need some recent server/character names. Please PM them to me and I'll do some more digging in each case to see if I can find some similar thread to tie them together.