Anyone have the link to the full download instead of streaming?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Wurm, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Wurm Well-Known Member

Been using the same eq2 folder since 2004, and I think its time to finally clean it up. I however DO NOT want the streaming client.

And the download link on the EQ2 main page is extremely vague about which one you are downloading.
  2. Xakrein Well-Known Member

While I do remember it being a separate download several years ago, these days, I believe the patcher is one and the same, and is streaming by default. However, there should be an option in the patcher to set it to full download, but be aware this is a one-way ticket.

Hope that helps, please let me know how you go?
    Adevil likes this.
  3. Wurm Well-Known Member

I'll look at it later and post

Today is guild day I'm not about to redownload the game today.
  4. Xakrein Well-Known Member

Wise move. The way the files used to be downloaded for the streaming client, was different to the full download client. That meant you could not copy across folder contents (eg paks and music folder) to make the process much faster. I have not checked in many years, but would not be surprised if that was still the case.

At the very least, can you see the option on your launcher, to change to the full download?
  5. flameweaver Well-Known Member

Click on the Home tab at the top of the page, then on the Home page mouse over the Game Info tab on the top left and select Download Game (last option) to download a small installer program EQ2_setup.exe. Run this, choose a new installation folder and it will download the full game. You'll end up with two installs. Copy any character specific files (eg ui layout files, customised UI folders etc) to your new install, run the game from the new location and make sure everything is running as expected and that you have access to all you characters/servers etc. Once you're comfortable with everything, delete the older streaming install.

[You could choose to overwrite the existing folder but you could end up with a bastardised version of the game that gives your more trouble than its worth. Better to go for a new install in my view]
  6. Malleria Well-Known Member

This is correct. There is only one installer now, and to go the full download route you just wait until it starts patching and go into the advanced options and check the box to download everything.
    Adevil and Xakrein like this.
  7. Ladymist Well-Known Member

Or you could do it through steam, then you won't have to worry about streaming.
  8. Wurm Well-Known Member

Oh no I don't want this game linked to my steam account. I'd rather not be pestered by my friends to play something else while playing my favorite MMO.

So I got it downloaded, took around 12 hours for the full 20 gig install to download (and it was at 7 gigs downloaded and the launchpad crashed and it started back at 0% DBG might want to work on a download manager for it). with a 16.000 DSL connection (13,000 true speed, and my wife and two kids were all in the internet at the same time :rolleyes: )

It adds two eq2 icons in your installed programs list (one DBG and one SOE) and afterwards you are good to go.

I still think the default UI needs some work (the broker window is still horrible) but it has gotten a lot better since I last used it.

Goodbye my beloved profit, it was great while it lasted!
  9. Xakrein Well-Known Member

It has been a few years since I used profitUI, so I am curious why a reinstall prevents you from putting it back on?
  10. Wurm Well-Known Member

Profit is pretty much dead. A few members of the community do update it once in awhile, but there is no longer a dedicated team working on it.
  11. Xakrein Well-Known Member

An update once every while is all a custom UI needs. Either way, if you are happy with default, rock on. Or maybe look at one of the other popular UIs?
    Feldon likes this.
  12. Wurm Well-Known Member

I've tried them all. only Profit had everything I needed. I may go back to it when and if it is updated to support KA.