Latest Windows 10 update

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Louly, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Louly Well-Known Member

Hello,

I'm hoping someone will be able to advise on how to fix this issue. Windows 10 did a huge update that lasted two hours to reconfigure. After this update when I click on EQ2 I get the login screen. I login and hit play and the whole thing just disappears.

I start over same thing. I've tried run as admin., compatibility mode and double checked Kaspersky is allowing access. I see there were some launch issue but I never had any until this update.
    Any suggestions please :)
  2. Benros New Member

I am having a similar problem. Launchpad comes up with no problems, but when I try to enter the game, all I have is a black screen. Tried entering the game directly with from everquest2.exe with the same black screen results. I was able to play last night after all of the issues earlier in the day, but cannot get the system to work today. Anyone have an idea for a solution? Thanks
  3. Svenone Well-Known Member

After I did that Windows "anniversary update" I noticed the same black screen, but after a bit the game works as expected. The delay is typically much longer than normally experienced. What is missing is some of the initial spash graphics, like the nVidia logo screen. I can only presume that, with the windows update, something the game is trying to do is failing. What I do while the screen is black is press the spacebar a few times, which when things were working normally was skipping through all the spash screens and right to the game proper.

Sadly, with the EQ2 team being so depleted (and I suspect they lost a lot of knowledge, too) more things like this are occurring. I think it was Feldon who said that they only have 15 on the EQ2 team now (compared to 50+ when it was SOE) - but I could be wrong about that.
    MalcolmXBox likes this.
  4. Benros New Member

Svenone, Thanks for that space bar idea, that got me into the game. A good work around until its fixed.
  5. Tetrol Well-Known Member

Interesting logic. Windows does an update which leads to EQ2 not running and it is DB's low staff numbers that caused it.
    Febrith, Juraiya and Dude like this.
  6. Grumpy_Warrior It's a KILT, dang it!

I had the same black screen after a clean install of Windows 10 anniversary version yesterday. But switching between fullscreen and windowed made the game visible during the splash screens. I did some experimenting and it looks like GPU shadows are to blame on my system. After trying many tweaks to the various video settings, turning off GPU shadows made the game load normally from the beginning, and turning shadows on (no other tweaks) made the game load with the black screen. I have an Nvidia card btw.
    Prissetta likes this.
  7. Louly Well-Known Member

Thank you I did the roll back. So now other games work but not EQ2. I get the log in screen and put in the information hit play and the screen disappears. it doesn't even try to connect. So I don't know. I saw the posts about the IP address but I hate to mess with files and such. Well maybe if I uninstall and reinstall that will work.
  8. Adevil Well-Known Member

That sounds like what Svenone described using the spacebar to get past (see post 3 in this thread).
  9. Louly Well-Known Member

Hi, yes I thought so too. But after I hit play and the log screen disappears I tried the space bar but that didn't work. If I look in Task Manager there is no EQ2. I tried the ping instructions from another thread but it said there was no IP. Would it maybe be best to reinstall?
  10. Lamatu Active Member

Just keep trying advice in this thread and others.

Reinstalling the game is usually 99.999% a waste of time.
    Prissetta likes this.
  11. Spindle Well-Known Member

Took two times to get the Win10 Anny edition installed. Needed to leave my computer to the OS for a while. Had to turn off the virus protection for an hour for the installation to finally complete. After umpty ump reboots AND Windows update leaving me with a black screen for seemingly ever. I have zero issues playing via the launcher. No more black screens. This is my gaming laptop.

On my desktop I need to hit the space bar as recommended by Svenone just about every session to get to my desktop. After that all is okay. It is irritating to have to sit at my desk waiting for the darn desktop to appear cuz after about 3 minutes of black screen forgettid about it, I have to reboot. Definitely a Win10 problem as I seldom play EQ2 on the desktop.

Patience is supposed to be a virtue, HA! When it comes to OS upgrades I find screaming works wonders.

Spin
    Ceyllynn likes this.
  12. Svenone Well-Known Member

No, the DB staff has nothing to do with the windows update....I think we can both agree that they have no control over that. What they can control is performing adequate testing before releasing a patch, which is harder to do with lower staff numbers.

As for the personal attack, I make no claims to have perfect logic. I make mistakes, I error with faulty logic...I am human.
    MalcolmXBox likes this.
  13. Louly Well-Known Member

Well I did everything Feldon said. I added those ip addresses to the host file. I added the dns. I was all excited that surely it will work now. Nope won't launch :( and I am paid up until 2018 and they don't give refunds. This is beyond annoying :( :(
    MalcolmXBox likes this.
  14. Thunuderfueler Member

I have experienced the black screen but that's before all the splash screen stuff. I use the spacebar to go past the "gameplay may change during online play" and nvidia logo. Actually I would like to know how you play the game offline since they felt the need to add that it will change during online play, and since nvidia does not show EQ2 as a supported game I dont even want to look at their logo. I do have an nvidia card though.
  15. Drusi_EQ2 Well-Known Member

Maybe it's something with NVIDIA cards? I got my Anniversary update last week and haven't been having any issues with EQ2, but I have an AMD card.
  16. That guy. Well-Known Member

*yawn* I have Windows 10 pro and have none of these issues, even with the preview builds my OS updates to through MS Insider. If Windows 10 was forcing dx11, NO game outside of a dx11 game would work. Obviously, that isn't the case. Also, Windows 10 is just as stable as 7, 8, 8.1, in fact it's moreso. Time to get off the 10 hate. It doesn't make you any cooler than hating Vista, 7, 8, or 8.1 did when they were released.

Then I guess noone informed my GTX660. *sigh* No, it's not Nvidia cards.

It's an ancient game, which was initially built flawed and hobbled to begin with due to SOE at the time convincing themselves graphics cards were a fad, that is also comprised of years of spaghetti code ( much of which isn't even notated/documented in the code itself ) being pushed along as best as it can be by a dev skeleton crew ( more like just a couple fingers, the rest of the skeleton was let go or transferred long ago ) while the software and tech in the world around it moved on. Add in users who think they should never ever ever have to upgrade their dilapidated hardware or software regardless of whether any of it has even been supported in the last 5 to 10 years , and that's where most of these issues come from.

While we're at it,graphic cards and CPU's all have an end of life, just like software such as OS's do. For example, Nvidia stopped supporting any card below Fermi architecture back in 2014. Hell, AMD removed native card support for dx9 years ago ( AMD cards use emulation via wrappers in their drivers to process dx9 applications ) and last I'd checked Nvidia was planning to finally do so as well if they haven't already.

Time moves on, hardware/software viability moves on. That's how life in this hobby works.
    Febrith, suka and Tekka like this.
  17. Terrius Well-Known Member

I know that when I first updated to Windows 10 months and months ago, my system was missing some of the DirectX 9 DLLs, no idea why but it only effected EQ2 and Age of Empires 2. I ran the DirectX web installer from Microsoft and that solved my issues. Perhaps try that?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35
    That guy. likes this.
  18. That guy. Well-Known Member

This is accurate advice. Windows 10 does not natively support dx9, just as every OS after Vista has not natively supported dx9. It is only emulated and you need to add the dx9 library yourself in some cases ( such as EQ2 ). Of course this is also something Daybreak should have built into the launcher as well.
    suka and Prissetta like this.
  19. That guy. Well-Known Member

I've been using 10 since its first beta, so I'll take my own experience of 0 Windows 10 issues in games ( or anything else ) over your "research", if you don't mind.

Edit: I take that back, I had one game give me issues when 10 first came out. RIFT. Why? Because Trion "didn't have any experience" with Windows 10 despite the fact it had been out in various previews and betas for over a year before release.
    suka likes this.
  20. That guy. Well-Known Member

No, the culprit is in fact a game with a developer who doesn't have the resources to keep up with tech improvement. Daybreak could simply add new binaries to install with a future patch. They don't. That's not Microsoft's fault. Windows 10 is a worldwide major piece of software, EQ2 is an antiquated relic with a playerbase likely smaller than the Windows 10 dev team alone. Yet, you think it's Microsoft who has to fix issues with EQ2?!? LOL

You can feel free to stop arguing any time you like, you've already lost. Daybreak can either find and fix whatever issue their game has with a major OS, or they can simply say "We can't keep up, we don't support OS's newer than 7." Of course, one will keep money coming ( fixing issues with 10 ), the other will just drop their income even more. It's their choice really.
    Juraiya likes this.