In-game Appearance Issues 9/21/2016

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Jamiss, Sep 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feldon Well-Known Member

A $300 computer you buy today with integrated graphics will run EQ2 just fine.
    Ceyllynn, Terrius, Prissetta and 2 others like this.
  2. Trista New Member

That is how I discovered the log in crash problem. I first logged in to a char that was in Jarsath Wastes, then tried to zone to guild hall, and crashed. All of my char are in the guild hall(s) so everytime I log in I crash.
    Hartsmith likes this.
  3. Lamatu Active Member

Maybe a DEV will answer why they recently made your toons load before the rest of the guildhall does.
  4. Neiloch Well-Known Member

No one even said graphics cards. You would literally just need Windows 10 and maybe a few sticks of RAM, even less than $300.

And Im not surprised WoW still runs on netbooks given its graphical capabilities and art. I think they just upgraded from orcs not having square arms.
    Snikkety, Febrith, Ceyllynn and 3 others like this.
  5. Dude Well-Known Member

These are the system requirements for running EQ2 (https://www.everquest2.com/faq#Q29):

Minimum:
    - Operating System: Windows 7
    - Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400/AMD Athlon x2 4050e
    - RAM: 3 GB
    - Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800/AMD Radeon HD 2600 XT
    - DirectX®: 9.0c
    - Hard Drive: 17 GB of free disk space
    - Internet Connection: Broadband internet connection
    Recommended:
    - Operating System: Windows 7
    - Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850/AMD Phenom II x2
    - RAM: 4 GB
    - Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 260/AMD Radeon HD 4870
    - DirectX®: 9.0c
    - Hard Drive: 17 GB of free disk space
    - Internet Connection: Broadband internet connection
    Ceyllynn and Feldon like this.
  6. Finora Well-Known Member

I understand some people are loathe to change at all ever and updating a computer is both annoying and an extra expense, but sometimes that is just how things go. The game is 12 years old but it is not stagnant like lets say Doom 3 or Half-Life 2 (single player games that released around the same time as EQ2). Sure an old computer should still be able to run those, nothing changed. Being an MMO though, EQ2 changes, things get updated.

*as a side note, a few years ago WoW changed it's minimum requirements too, they changed again more recently with the new models. People who started playing it with low end computers, can no longer play it on those low end computers. Yeah, they 'can' still run on XP as of right now but apparently you need to run on lower settings (I don't know this personally because I haven't had XP in many years). MMO's change, it's kind of fundamental to what they are.
  7. Grumpy_Warrior It's a KILT, dang it!

By default, applications (like EQII) are allocated 2GB of memory (aka virtual address space) to run. Versions of Windows starting with Vista have an option to increase the address space to 3GB, which will stop the crashes that occur due to not enough memory. If you have a 32-bit computer with 4GB of memory installed and at least Windows Vista, you can use the command. If you have less than 4GB, don't use the command.

From a command prompt opened as administrator, type

Code:
    bcdedit /set increaseuserva 3072

and reboot.

Reference:

4-Gigabyte Tuning: BCDEdit and Boot.ini:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb613473.aspx

BCDEdit /set
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff542202.aspx
    Andrakis and Ceyllynn like this.
  8. eddiesmall New Member

Jamiss pls look into it and fix it I want to play the game yes im e2q addict. I i was addicted the first time i stated the game and have been a loyal player for 8 years feb will be 9 so please fix the game its a fun game and its how i relax... Thank you
    Hartsmith likes this.
  9. Aquaskaientos Member

Don't subscribe for 3-4 months and do some upgrades for pc, not a big deal.
    flameweaver and Ceyllynn like this.
  10. Feldon Well-Known Member

I believe EQ2 already has this setting. Anyway, the people reporting issues have 4GB (or less) of RAM.
  11. Grumpy_Warrior It's a KILT, dang it!

The 2GB default limit is not set per application, it's set by Windows and affects any application run after the switch is applied. My 32-bit computer with 4GB of memory will not load EQII into my guild hall without the increaseuserva switch and Windows reports out of memory. EQII loads fine with the switch applied.
  12. Ixian Active Member

I think this highlights part of the issue here. MMOs change, definitely, but EQ2 did it in a rather sharp fashion whereas WoW (and other MMOs) tend to be more gradual in their changes, bumping up the minimum specs over time. A lot of people probably felt like they had the carpet pulled out from underneath them with AoM since it took so long for such an increase to occur. I do think people need to upgrade, but I also feel for them.
  13. Maevianiu Well-Known Member

I ask about the character/server because I don't have access to account data (only CS can do that). That way I am able to look in the logs to see if I can find something.

In your case, you have run out of memory. I see you often start the client with very little free memory. You can try running less programs with EQ2, or you might be using an operating system that is not supported (like Windows Vista).

Some things you can try:
    Free as much memory as you can before starting EverQuest 2.
    Update your operating system (we require windows 7 64 bit at least)
    Use the Settings program. In your patcher click the hammer/wrench icon on the lower left. Then click on "Game Configuration". It will open up a new "EverQuest II Settings" window. in that window select the "settings" tab then set the general performance to "Extreme Performance" and the Environment to "Minimum" and the Character Textures to "Minimum".
    Ceyllynn, Neiloch, Cynara and 4 others like this.
  14. ruinarion New Member

Can you tell me why Ruinar on Majdul is crashing out?

I went from being able to play the game on medium settings to not being able to load into the guild hall with this last patch.

Also if a 64bit OS is going to be a requirement it should be updated in the forums and on the EQII website because they just say Windows 7 or newer.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...minimum-operating-system-requirements.570095/

https://help.everquest.com/hc/en-us...imum-system-requirements-to-run-EverQuest-II-
  15. Finora Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm pretty sure at least some of the specs for Eq2 increased with each expansion. People started having serious issues with 32bit OS when guildhalls were new. It was just a more noticeable change with AoM because more people started to play EQ2 with better computers way back in the day than people started WoW on and by AoM they were starting to cap out on their old systems particularly with the changes to terrain that came with AoM.

I feel for people too, it does kind of suck to be able to play one day, but not the next. I actually have that exact situation with another game I play. But I also know exactly what my problem is and unless I change something (in my case gain memory by deleting some other things or add more) I will not be able to play that other game. I don't expect them to stop updating that game.
  16. Zoeyee New Member

Well today I managed to login and saw my chars then went ingame and bam crash to desktop and haven't been able to get in again just crash to desktop when it loads resources. This is so unacceptable, I recently undated to Windows 10 from xp and that cost me, then I get to play again and now this. Please reverse whatever it is you dev ppl did I was playing just fine, can't afford a new computer an all I want to do is enjoy the game. Please fix this, it is now 3 days worth of paying for nothing.
  17. Terrius Well-Known Member

I've noticed that since the patch to fix the invisible characters, I crash after zoning 2-3 times. The directX/32bit application memory limit crash, has become far more vicious than ever before. Was there a new memory leak introduced, or has the game lost it's ability to clean it's cached memory?

I know it is a memory issue as the game crashes the moment it exceeds the maximum memory allocation for a 32 bit application (as per task manager) and this issue has been in place since the launch of ToT, but it was never this bad before.

My system is far, far above the requirements. (32 GB RAM, 64 GB Virtual Memory, Radeon HD 7970, Windows 10 Pro 64bit.)

Is the only solution to run with reduced textures?
  18. Terrius Well-Known Member

Not sure if it helps, but I just had my mentioned crash happen to me while zoning from Maldura to my guildhall. Character name Zalakrielle, Server Antonia Bayle, roughly around 12:23 PM Pacific time. This time the game just vanished with no errors.
  19. ruinarion New Member

That sounds like the problem I am having. Any time I zone into the guild hall the screen just disappears after the status changes from zoning in the character.

Ruinar Majdul
  20. eddiesmall New Member

I think they take our money we pay to play and spend to make there new games better. Other wise they would have fixed eq2 days ago, IM venting my frustratoin and being nice about it:confused:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.