Air Combat

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Dabb, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Dabb Active Member

So why not make a zone where you can fight, in the AIR on mounts....that sounds very fun and COOL. just an idea...
  2. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Something was like this in WoW and was the most hated dungeon they ever made. When random dungeons were done and people zoned into that one, they would drop group and try again. Almost NO ONE liked it. At all. And the loot was decent.
    Feldon likes this.
  3. Lojaak Well-Known Member

Was that Oculus during WOTLK because that dragon fight was hideous. I have enough trouble with the extra dimension in water, I don't fancy the same issues with air.
  4. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Lojaak, yes, that is what I was referring to.
  5. Lasai Well-Known Member

I dunno. Aion somewhat built a game around melee/spell air combat and I don't think it turned out well for them. Seems better left to flight sims.
  6. Dude Well-Known Member

I'm not against the idea, but I've never seen it done well.
    Feldon likes this.
  7. Monotone Active Member

I feel like it would be as terrible as underwater combat.
    Finora, Feldon and Lasai like this.
  8. Dabb Active Member

I think if it was done right it would be fun as well as challenging!
  9. Castegyre Well-Known Member

I've read an informed explanation on why air combat often doesn't work in MMOs. The primary reason is simple, most MMOs have 2d combat mechanics that don't translate well into a 3d fight. This just leads to a mess that most players find unfun.

Personally, I would love proper 3d combat if it were done right. I'm not sure the engine or the devs need to be taxed with trying to pull it off here, though.
    Dude and Tekka like this.
  10. Finora Well-Known Member

It would be pretty much like underwater combat, without the water visuals. I am not sure I've ever met anyone who actually ENJOYED underwater combat.
  11. Raff Well-Known Member

People avoid it like the plague in GW2. I know many folks there that don't even equip upgraded underwater weapons. Its a shame to, cause it can be fun once you get the hang of fighting in that kind of environment
  12. ColbyJack Well-Known Member

I'll admit, I'm usually pretty open to new ideas, but no thanks on water or air combat.
    As it is, I have trouble lining myself up right with regular water mobs, and those only require me to get within a general area of what I want dead. Usually I'll be like.... why can't I loot? and swing my camera around to see I'm way off on the axis I couldn't see from behind. Moving a camera while trying to be in combat sounds just hellish.
    Avahlynn and Tekka like this.
  13. Raenius Well-Known Member

Everytime I fly behind my girlfriend I already do a /say "Ratatatatatattttattt" simulating a WW2 dogfight.

Works for me.

she is not amused...
    Sejreia likes this.
  14. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

I'd be happy if they just added the ability to use snowballs and fruitcakes on each while flying in your GH.
    HaphazardAllure and Griffon Lady like this.
  15. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

16. Neiloch Well-Known Member

some sort of 'flying fight' might be cool but what I am thinking have is almost entirely cosmetic. Have everyone on special flying mounts (unique to the fight) 'flying' and 'pursuing' a dragon in flight and attacking them.

In practice it would be everyones mounts in a flying animation hovering over a invisible floor and in a typical 2d space with little to no vertical flight while in a 'room' that just looks like the sky, lots of clouds whipping by and possible a background scrolling. Throw in some knockbacks/knockups to give it a bit more of a flying feel. Most of the work to make it feel satisfying would be on the player mounts animations, methinks.

But any sort of 'true' flight combat would be clumsy or far too much work.
  17. ColbyJack Well-Known Member

Now THIS is a sort of flying combat I could get behind.
    Of course, I'd be unable to hear anything but this while fighting.

18. RedvsBlue Well-Known Member

I would imagine anyone in charge of rezzing would have an issue with this lol. On the other hand it could prove to be interesting with a type of moving platform(s) around a name. Oh, wait, nope having Drinal flashback, I take it back.
  19. Neiloch Well-Known Member

I'd be blasting this the whole time
  20. MalcolmXBox Active Member

If it can be done right, yes.
    As pointed out by some here, it would be nice if they improved water combat.