Keep Crashing In game!

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Glypheart, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Glypheart New Member

Just recently re-downloaded EQ2 and subbed. Was an Avid Player from release til about 2012/2013 or so. However anytime i try to click on a banker, broker, vendor or even try to open up my inventory the whole game crashes. I've checked file integrity using the launchpad and steam and re downloaded all files as well as reinstalling the game totally and no luck! pretty pissed as I've just paid for a sub like 5 days ago and haven't been able to play!

Any suggestions or anyone else who has had this issue?

Thanks In Advanced.
  2. Dude Well-Known Member

I don't know if this will fix your problem, but it could and it's a good thing to do anyway.

Log into the updater, but don't start playing. In the bottom left of the screen is a thing that says, "Version: US English." Click on that and the "Advanced Settings" screen opens and you'll be on the "Select Game Version" tab. If you have a box in between the version and the "Apply" button, check it and hit "Apply." That downloads the entire game to your hard drive. Otherwise, you're computer has to load everything every time you zone somewhere. Needless to say, that slows everything and causes lag. It takes a while to download, but now that I have the full download, everything moves much more quickly.
    Avahlynn likes this.
  3. Glypheart New Member

Thanks Dude, I have done this already though.
  4. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Brainstorming:

Do you have DirectX 9.0c installed? EQ2 requires it to run, and it will happily coexist on your computer with the newest version of DirectX.

Which version of Windows are you running? EQ2 will no longer run on XP.

How much RAM do you have? Officially, 3GB is required and 4GB is recommended. In my experience, 4GB is pushing it. I am currently running with 8GB and will increase that when I am able. Running this 4GB patch increases the memory EQ2 can access and seems to reduce crashing, also. I run it after every update (or when the game starts crashing frequently) on EverQuest2.exe

A friend of mine recently had issues with her EQ2 crashing on a computer that had run it just fine - she petitioned and customer service helped her locate a corrupted sound file. Fixing it fixed the problem.

Good luck!

Oh, and one more thought: crashing when opening game windows can sometimes be traced to a UI issue.
    Avahlynn likes this.
  5. Lamatu Active Member

Basic trouble shooting tips are to:

1. Do a full file validation from the Launchpad.

2. Use the Default UI to see if a custom UI is causing a crash. You may also want to delete the file server_name_eq2uisettings.xml and redo the UI on login again.

3. Switch in game settings to "Balanced"

4. You can adjust texture quality settings to medium, lower complex shaders setting, and disable shadows as these three settings can really affect performance.

5. Re-Installing Directx 9.0c no matter what version of windows you use as this is what the game needs.

6. Upgrade drivers for things other than Video card. Upgrading or even Downgrading Video drivers can be tried next.

Try these steps one at a time.
    Prissetta and Avahlynn like this.
  6. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Any luck after these suggestions, OP?
    Prissetta likes this.
  7. din ohtar Member

its possibly random, but eq2 was working fine for me until yesterday when the launcher stopped connecting. Even going to the game directory and running the exe file wont help. All other games on the net are working fine, I just couldn't connect. I've logged a ticket, and i'm currently waiting for them to look at the netinfo document I had to supply.
    LaunchPad was unable to connect. Please check the network connection or try again later. If the problem persists, please visit https://help.daybreakgames.com for assistance.

I am curious .. what is the difference between the normal EQ2 that I've been running for the past too many years, and the steam Eq2 ?

Just as a test, I went into steam and downloaded eq2. This put up a new icon on my computer, which I clicked to open up a launcher that fully loaded. I made sure that I had selected one of my characters from the launcher page, and was then given a message 'coudnt find the Thurgadin server' I cancelled the test server #1 message so I didn't know what eventually happened. But not finding a server is odd.

Im was thinking the normal eq2 game and the steam eq2 game were downloaded at different places on my computer, but once I get in, i'm playing from the same server, and it doesn't matter which version of eq2 is being run.

What's also odd is sometimes the launcher will finally connect to the game after being told it couldn't connect, but generally I cannot get in.