Scout Prestige Conversions

Discussion in 'Scouts' started by Therein, May 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

More like a thread asking for balance in classes, for an archetype that is clearly behind the finger wiggling friends.

Whining would be if all the scouts jumped onto every Mage thread and complained about ourselves. But that's a warlock thing it seems
  2. Yards Well-Known Member

I didn't do any complaining on this thread. The only post I made was explaining how % increase to base multipliers worked because everyone on this thread was clueless. Your welcome.
  3. Livejazz Well-Known Member

"Don't cling to a mistake just because you've spent years making it."
  4. Yards Well-Known Member

Would you care to explain why having a scaling AA that keeps its same strength no matter how much or little of said stat is a bad thing? I have an AA that gives me 4 potency when I put 10 AA's into it. I imagine when it first came out it was good, but now? Having a % boost to a multiplier will keep the same strength over the years so it will never need to be adjusted. I am willing to hear your argument against it though if you have a valid one.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  5. Nkito Well-Known Member

% boosts are better, the only issue is that mages and scouts both have little choice but to stack potency now.

It's the only conversion of the available conversions that will continue to grow. Significantly.
    These conversions haven't been a mistake for years, just since they obsoleted the scout conversions.

The only reason its been suggested to bring mage conversions down to scout levels revolve around addressing other nitpicky details. Trivializing endlines vs a 12:1 pot to cb conversion. Having all mages slam head first into the cb ceiling, kneecapping fc, forcing them to choose statistically inferior gear simply to come back down from the ceiling. Stuff like that.

Flat boosts are not a better choice, there is just a huge imbalance in the conversions.
  6. -Soteria- Well-Known Member

Zero people were clueless, everyone understands perfectly how % increase to base stats work, because it's an incredibly simple concept. Your You're the one who missed the point.
  7. Yards Well-Known Member

Clearly you don't understand how the increase to % base multipliers work. I read your posts and you should go back and read them as well. You are posting " and if you think about it, even potency->potency type conversions serve no purpose except to steepen the gear curve by 10% or so, widening the performance gap between lesser geared and more geared players for no important reason " which is completely wrong. Here is another quote " What I'm saying is, consider this. Everyone is already getting a fluid +8% to base crit bonus and potency from the second prestige tree. So these 900 potency items... are really giving like 1000 potency instead, just because of that, before you even look at conversions from the first prestige tree. So if you have ANOTHER +whatever% increase there, like mystic with the +10% base potency... I'm effectively getting 18% more potency from every item than what it says on the item. If you did conversions like that for every class, then it would serve absolutely no purpose but to steepen the gear curve by whatever percent across the board." This is also completely wrong because % increase to base multipliers does not steepen the gear curve it just adds a static "multiplier" to that multiplier which will stay static throughout the lifetime of the game. So yes you can correct me on my spelling but at least my information was correct where yours was not so much.

Wanting a static number increase to potency or crit bonus just shows the lack of knowledge on how % increase to base potency or crit bonus works. However I do think they should change the scouts conversions to a more suitable conversion stat.
  8. Enigma Active Member

They should just give scouts the same pot to cb conversions as mages or put in more melee stats on the scout gear/jewelry pieces.
  9. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Actually base increases do steepen the gear curve.

For example, if a lesser item is 500 pot and better one is 1000 pot, instead of be 500 potency apart they would then the be 600 pot apart with a 20% boost. The gap has grown by 100 potency between the two items because of a base boost. Certainly not huge considering potency amounts but multiply that about ~18 slots and it can be a problem.

Percentage boosts 'magnify' differences in gear power. You can even apply the percentage to just the difference in items and see how much the base boost increases the gap. In all likelihood this is why they have felt justified in the past with 'upgrades' on gear being very small, since those small upgrades are actually magnified by various 'base' boosting stats.

You get most your stats from gear, so in essence a percentage stat boost is also a percentage ITEM boost. a 10% boost on a bad item and a 10% boost on a good item WIDENS the gap between the power they give, they don't increase in the same raw amount.
  10. Yards Well-Known Member

And this is why I posted how % boost to stats work. Yes neiloch is correct you do get more potency " points " with higher potency items with the % boost, however the % boost to that multiplier stays the same. This game is all about % not the actual potency points or crit bonus points. So if I were to use neilochs simple numbers 500 and 1000 with a 20% boost it would effectively be 600 and 1200 with each being a 20% boost to that multiplier. Now if we were to go to a static number like lets say an AA that gives 500 potency. If this game lives for another 5 years and we are at 5 million potency, what is 500 potency worth (close to nothing)? So in a nutshell since you both have no clue how % base stat increases work, here are the main points. They will keep their same strength throughout the expansions, if itemization is done correctly they will keep the same strength through the different tiers of gear and will scale accordingly. So if they decide heroic gear vs raid gear is a 15% difference then the % boost to those stats will stay the same throughout every expansion. No curves are steepened they are exactly the same expac in expac out % wise.
  11. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Nothing I said denies this.

You are forgetting there are still upper limits of what is needed, even if there are not hard caps. Not to mention some stat synergy. While the PERCENTAGE difference stays the same, the RAW AMOUNT in difference goes UP.

Something static would eventually become outmoded just like the old AA's that gave 5 CB or some such now useless nonsense. Something that boosts the base would be more 'evergreen' but when stats have synergy and are based on or work with things like ability mod, 'extra' charges, multiple attacks and any number of 'RNG'-influenced rigamarole a percentage boost across the board most certainly does NOT mean 'all ships being raised evenly.'
  12. Yards Well-Known Member

I assume when you say synergy you are talking about ability mod, but with the way stats are now there is no way to get enough ability mod. As I said before this game is all a percentage base game you say the raw amount goes up while the PERCENTAGE stays the same, I totally agree. If you think of this dps wise if someone does 5 million dps more than you, the first thing you look at is well how much dps did I do? If I did 10 million dps and they did 5 million dps more than me that would be a bad thing because the % difference, however if I did 1 billion dps and they did 5 million dps more than me that is like close to nothing. So I will say this again raw amount means jack s$it because it all depends the base amount / number comparing it to. You can give me an AA that gives me 1000 potency but if my base potency is 1 trillion what does that really do for me.
  13. Nkito Well-Known Member

I don't think people disagree with what you're saying about base % boosts, I believe the suggestion was more to pull our stats back down from the stratosphere for other reasons.

Ok, give scouts 12:1 pot to cb and call it a day, no scout I know would complain.
    Whiomaju and Livejazz like this.
  14. Kojacke Active Member

bump.
    and guys, ignore the mages that obviously don't want the gap closed. all that does is slowly derail the thread.

The conversions need fixed.
  15. Jrel Well-Known Member

The melee prestige conversions still need to be fixed.
  16. Brienae Active Member

I play a Troubador as my main, I also have a Brigand. For the Trouby my choices for conversion are: 20 points of attack speed for 1% of Potency or 30 points dps mod for 1% Crit Bonus. I am specced for the right side with the haste conversion. Currently I have 454.8 Attack speed and 103% flurry. Attack speed over caps into flurry and some of the flurry is from my gear but now that I have 100% flurry is it really worth getting more attack speed? Having over 100% flurry won't do anything for me. I've actually been reforging out of it. According to Dragon Armory my attack speed is giving me 22.7% potency. Again I could try for more attack speed to increase this bonus but what's the point? Not that long ago I had over 800% Haste. Realizing my flurry was far over 100 I reforged forgetting it was my conversion stat but let's look at if I had not reforged. Since I don't remember the number we'll use a nice rounded 800. That would give me 40 pot... and Flurry possibly in the neighborhood of 200 which would do nothing.
    On the other side my dps mod is already in soft cap range at 1337.8. If I recall correctly hard cap is 3000. Still this side suffers from diminishing returns. Once the hard cap is reached how much point is there in going beyond it?

I agree these conversions need changed. Potency to cb might be a good option or something else which would make it worth it to stick with that stat.
  17. Regolas Well-Known Member

Just realized my mystic doesn't have pot to cb conversion either
  18. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Not a single adjustment to DPS. So completely screwed DPS until the xpac? lol
  19. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Very rare to see balance changes outside of expacs.

Looks like damage bleeding is an experiment on short term and isolated content. Changing conversions would have a much larger effect on current content as a whole if they did it now.
  20. Neiloch Well-Known Member

You mean except for the changes they made in the past updates (that definitely weren't xpacs) after ToT that severely unbalanced DPS of classes through resolve and fervor changes?

Also I didn't say anything about conversions, I said:
    I suppose I could of made a thread just about the lack of any DPS adjustments in the GU. If I made a thread about every scout DPS problem this section would be even more disorganized and flooded with threads.
    Whiomaju and Jrel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.