Grouping/PUGs is discouraging

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Drakren, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Livejazz Well-Known Member

If Meneltil was on Skyfire I'd group with her any day. I want to group with people, not "AA profiles."

As for the thread, I guess I'm the opposite of so many players: I won't even greed roll something I can use, if it's not a significant upgrade for me, & under no circumstances do I roll for something the character I'm playing can't use, even if one of my alts can. I even roll Greed on collectibles, until the rest of the group reminds me that everyone is needing on them.
    Spindle, DoomDrake, Prissetta and 2 others like this.
  2. Rubick Well-Known Member

Why are you guys circle jerking it over useless class/role combos? No, not everything works. I've seen more than enough people claim they have some incredible dps SK or a T1 utility class that gears like an ******* and thinks they're a dps, etc. They have all sucked. Every single one of them. If you want to waste spots in your groups because some people find it fun to play a useless role on a class not designed for it then fine, but don't come to the forums pretending you're being useful. When so many T1s are now parsing 50m+ on zonewide parses why would you want to essentially waste a spot on somebody doing 10m because they want to play the special snowflake role? Can you clear the zone with it? Sure. Do you want to drag zones out and make them harder for the rest of the group? If so, then carry on.
    Shauwn and Blackdog like this.
  3. kluxor Well-Known Member

Can't tell you how many times I've joined a group where the dirge insists on casting BC on himself instead of using a screams rune. Even better is when a chanter insists on EV on them self, then has the nerve to ask me for a mimic macro and gets mad when I tell him to mimic himself since he wants to buff himself.

In regards to playing a tank as a dps and trying to force a group to drag along your feeble attempts of even keeping up with a support class on the parse...its pointless and a quick way to not get group invites. If you wanna tank sometimes and dps sometimes....you're far better served having two different characters
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  4. Moostafoo Active Member

[quote="Vunder, post: 6325491, member: 705507"]once you have earned their trust. If they don't like it they can easily leave. My son and I have the important roles covered so DPS is easily replaced.
    Wouldn't be quick to judge how people build their toons. I have had to swap to spiritual to save a pug more than once, and easily take over heals. Just because it doesn't fit in a cookie cutter mentality people have placed each class, doesn't mean it isn't possible..[/quote]

I have trust issues irl and ingame. Im not simply going to trust somebody or a group of people to come to an agreement about loot when i tell them the only thing im there for is 1 item. I literally greed or decline every item that isnt that particular item im after. Good for you and your son. Not all groups are always that fortunate and often disband because of it.
    Ok fine, ill just tank with my Paladin and not heal anybody :D
  5. Moostafoo Active Member

Glad other people are seeing it this way as well.
  6. Lexxiii Active Member

I usually do PUG groups on my Mystic. Since hes a healer and can always possibly use loot upgrades, right when I get an invite, I ask what loot rules are. I also usually say since I solo heal that any healer items that are chain go to me. I have never had someone say no or try to steal then from me in a Need roll.
    Mermut and Jaden like this.
  7. Jaden Well-Known Member

--------------------

1. Thats definitely why you ask real quick right upfront on the invite.
    2. If that was verbalized in a group I was in, I'd be like, "Hmmm it's 5 o'clock somewhere. My margarita awaits. See ya's."
    3. Yea I'm oldschool and gonna keep on keeping on certain oldschool gaming etiquette; NBG, and on current character IN the group.
    Livejazz likes this.
  8. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Add me on AB. If we are a person short, you can run with us ;) Just use Subtle Swings and you should be fine.
    Livejazz and Meneltel like this.
  9. Blackdog Member

short bus inc...
  10. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

I really like this remark. The expectation that a tank just springs fullgrown from the ground with the best raid gear possible is why I don't tank groups outside of really good (read: forgiving) friends.

I'd love to tank, and I'm a really good one in other games. Not this one, though, sadly.
  11. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

If DPS is sufficient (say 150-180M+) why not drag someone along? I always not mind for any free ride person no matter rules for loot as long as things are done. I been given free ride back in time more than once when I just came back from retirement and just started doing grouping again. I got geared, reshaped my chains and stats so I am happy to help others gear up (plus not many things in heroics that I might want anyway just status mostly)
  12. Mermut Well-Known Member

Helping somebody gear out and giving a free ride are (at least to me) two different things. The former is somebody who is working to improve their toon and actively doing their best in (and out) of the group, given time limits, etc.
    The later is somebody who just comes along, doesn't contribute much and doesn't work to improve their toon or somebody who is SOOO undergeared it's clear they've made little/no effort before trying heroic content. I've seen people in old AoM gear that is worse then ToT handcrafted trying to join raids....
    Kittybock, Prissetta and Sigrdrifa like this.
  13. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

One thing to keep in mind with PUGs is that if they are truly awful, you can say, "Gang, I'm sorry, but I have to go." Then drop group.

Also, some of the worst PUG encounters become some of your best, "No sheet, there I was..." stories. My sister and I play together a lot. We had one group back in the days of Sebilis where the healer WOULD NOT CURE... because it took too much power. If you were here for Kunark, you will remember that everything needed constant cure spamming.

Ever further back, my sis and I were in a group with a tank who WOULD NOT TAUNT. Both of us and others in the group were yelling at him about it (all in /gsay, I don't think we had in-game voice yet). So, on the next pull, what does the tank do? /EM TAUNT

Just keep in mind that today's disasters make funny memories because you live through them.
  14. Alarra Well-Known Member

I used to run frequent pugs but have been lately getting into guild groups. Generally I made the pugs to make sure that the group make up was good and the loot rules were stated from the start.
    You state that you are rolling for an Archetype at the start, you greed for your other alts cos everyone has them.
    If there is a special item, I will change to Leader only looting and we do rolls with /ran.
    It keeps down the drama and makes loot a more happy thing.
    Prissetta likes this.
  15. Nolus Well-Known Member

I've had good PUGs and bad PUGs. You can always start your own and maintain leader of the group, then you are in control if someone is rolling for their alts. I just tend to remember names of people I've grouped with and give new ones a shot. Some people will rub you the wrong way one way or another.

Someone went off on me tonight for declining their group, they are now at -2 points with me. Sometimes I am tempted to group with them on my healer just to troll them. :p

But a majority of the time it goes ok, but the RNG doesn't give me what I want all the time.
    Prissetta likes this.
  16. Mermut Well-Known Member

Heh... I've actually got one particular healer on my friends list, with a note 'do not group' because I forgot after the first time... he set up the group, including inviting a second healer (me) then procced to not heal (nor dps). I don't mind solo healing if I'm the only healer in the group. I'm do not enjoy solo healing when I'm NOT the only healer in the group :p Especially when I'm a druid and the other healer is a shaman.... because that means the shaman isn't even pretending to try.
    Prissetta likes this.
  17. Dolphinsgal Active Member

I've only just started to group with others, I got tired of soloing all the time. I only roll on greed even if it's something I could really use on that toon, especially if there's another caster in the group. I figure since I'm still learning how to best play my toon in a group that I shouldn't be rolling on items just yet. I don't know all the ins and outs of group looting, but I think that most should only need roll if the toon they are currently on can/will use the item. I guess from reading this thread that loot rules should be talked about up front.
    It seems unfortunately that there will always be those who want everything even if they can't use something and someone else needs it. I'll apologize for those who have done so and let others know not everyone's like that.
  18. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

If you need something do be shy to roll need on it - by now absolute majority of players already geared not just main toons but alts as well :)
  19. Meneltel Well-Known Member

My personal policy is, if I will put it on right then and there, its Need. If its for an alt or a change of spec (tanking gear as I'm a DPS SK), its Greed. If its for a class that I have no toons and don't plan on making one, I decline.
  20. Mayla New Member

There is a reason why groups don't take tanks as DPS. It's because they are tanks.

If you want to play a DPS class, roll a DPS class.