Is this the end to LoN?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Alarra, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Alarra Well-Known Member

I saw in Feldon's livestream transcript that LoN items are going on the Marketplace.

I cannot help but read between the lines with EQN being cancelled, that EQ App being sunsetted, Deathtoll being merged with Stormhold, Localization support for foreign languages being dropped that a lot of unused things or commercially non-viable things are bring dropped.
    The only logical conclusion is that LoN is next on the chopping block.
  2. Lucus Well-Known Member

possibly, however it might be a financial move to get money from people that won't buy into LoN's random chance for loot cards by buying card packs while still milking money from people who do buy the card packs to play the game.
    suka likes this.
  3. Jumbled Member

I would much rather have the opportunity to BUY that nice item you might otherwise MAYBE get as a one-in-a-million chance with a loot card, and pay DBC for it if it really meant that much for me. I don't play LoN, don't understand HOW to play it, not good at card games regardless, and if I'm going to play EQ, I'll play EQ, not some secondary app.

So far, the only thing I ever saw made example in loot cards (that I actually wanted) were a couple of paintings and that free New Halas house. I managed to find some of the paintings, but I gave up on the house. Not that it really matters THAT much, as I can just as easily buy the normal house...it's exactly the same house, just for money, not free rent (and apparently if you install those rent reduction Loyalty items, you can cut that down anyway).

As for reading between the lines... Well, I don't know the popularity of LoN overall. No one I know uses it. The handful of times I ever went inside, it seemed dead. I don't know if there is anything useful to it outside in regular EQ, other than a bunch of house items or appearance stuff and some consumables you can just as easily find elsewhere. Seems like an extra step, but then like I said, I don't like card games.
    Merriel, Febrith, GrunEQ and 2 others like this.
  4. Cuelaen Well-Known Member

I've never really played LoN seriously myself, only ever bought the boosters to get a shot at the tax free housing licenses-still need the freeport and qeynos ones, finally got the gorowyn and halas ones, but yes-it would be fantastic to be able to buy them, and not just have a slim chance of getting one. I do hope for the sake of those that DO play LoN, that it is kept going. My heart goes out to anyone who's preferred aspect of the game is taken away
    Febrith and suka like this.
  5. Nockturnal Well-Known Member

LoN's possible free stash is listed as a perk for all access players. It has never been a perk for me. The whole try to win process was more work than anything else. I will not miss it if it goes but I would like a chance to obtain some of those goodies.
    Torvaldr likes this.
  6. Montag Well-Known Member

LoN is actually a pretty solid and fun CCG, if they had an ipad app it might catch on more.
    Gnaeus, suka, Shauwn and 1 other person like this.
  7. Tinrae Member

I missed that comment in the livetsream, but does that include the LON scenario rewards too? I know my spouse plays LON very occasionally (old MtG player) and has won several paintings that way that you can't get in the packs. I hope we can buy those scenario rewards too if LON does go away.
    suka and Prissetta like this.
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I don't know. I won't spend money buying random LoN packs to get loot, but I will spend money to buy the specific loot I want on the marketplace. I learned to play the card game, but it was simply to be able to work up and get the Erollisi painting.

I think there's a huge market out there for house items from LoN sold via the Marketplace. Probably for appearance gear as well, but you know we interior decorators are insane.

What matters as far as the continuation of LoN is how many people actually play the card game, vs. those of us logging in monthly to see if we got a loot card THIS time. I people are buying packs and playing the game, LoN will hang around, and having loot card rewards on the Marketplace leverages them to make more money faster.
    Torvaldr and suka like this.
  9. d1anaw Well-Known Member

I agree. We used to get the free decks for a while. Rarely did I ever get anything from those, so I would buy a couple and still didn't really get anything. I tried to actually play, but just could not get into it. Gave up even bothering to look at it after a while. I actually thought it had already ended.
  10. Shauwn Active Member

The game itself was pretty fun, I liked it but I was never great at it. So I couldn't find anyone my skill level to play with so the AI is only so fun.
    suka likes this.
  11. gaeca Member

I too wasnt very good at it frankly but could see it was a solid enough game in itself,but yes it wouldnt surprise me at all if it wasnt heading towards the end of its lifecycle
  12. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

I've been fairly lucky with the free LON packs. Last month I got a free house. I've gotten lots of great pictures and a few house items. But I've never purchased any cards, simply because I don't like spending money on the "chance" I might get something.
    Merriel, Febrith and suka like this.
  13. suka Well-Known Member

used to? i still get free decks every month on each of my paid accounts - five each.
    Febrith and Prissetta like this.
  14. suka Well-Known Member

i'm jealous. i have only gotten pictures, cloaks and sometimes appearance weapons. but i love what i got
  15. Torvaldr Well-Known Member

There used to be a standalone LoN client. I don't think the game itself is very popular. I used to open them when I got them for free or with an xpac or some other purchase. It was more fun opening them for me than trying to figure out the game.

They should move it to a mobile app, cut it out of the game, and just add those items to the store.
  16. suka Well-Known Member

there still is. it's the only one i use. and no, if they made a moble app instead people like me wouldn't use it anymore. strange that people who don't play assume so much. the game is popular and is played by people on eq1 as well as eq2
  17. Lucus Well-Known Member

yeah the LON items are great especially if you manage to win loot cards from the campaigns, i think i have only seen one person other then myself wearing the circlet of mystic vision which is a reward from one campaign's last scenario.

there are plenty of loot cards for them to put up for sale. i'd be cool of them to add vision of the deep and vision of fury to the marketplace since they've added other particle effect items from the tournament packs.
  18. suka Well-Known Member

well, considering that you can buy them from a site on the internet, maybe it is past time that they be put on the marketplace. they will certainly be cheaper in a lot of ways. cheaper than spending a lot of money trying to win what you want and cheaper than buying them from that third party website
  19. Lucus Well-Known Member

don't forget the 100% legitimately bonus and the 100% resist credit fraud.

only the unwise would buy from a third party site and risk their financial information.
  20. Gnaeus New Member

I am no game business expert or anything but surely a new Norrath flavored card battle game would be a huge opportunity for Daybreak. Considering the massive success of Hearthstone and other MMO companies jumping into the space as well. SOE used to at least have an entire team for this, surely there is something they can do.

One of my beefs with Hearthstone is there is no way to play within the WoW client, something I liked about LoN. Personally I don't see why the current game can't be supported like it currently works, maybe without adding anything new.

If I was the Daybreak president I would be looking to get LoN2 made because it can be very huge if done right.