Do you feel that Terrors of Thalumbra is worthy?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Meneltel, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Tylia Well-Known Member

I feel it was worth it. I am retired from raiding, and have completely replaced all of my raid gear and jewelry with quest and AS dropped items. I have completed all of the Tradeskill and Adventure quests (sig lines and side quests) and my merc and I have no problem running the AS zones. I think they are all fun to do and the "under-land" zone artwork is very well done.

So, yes, to me it was worth the money. I am enjoying it. ;)
    Wirewhisker, SierraDawn and Seefar like this.
  2. Liou_Unrest Active Member

Already have got my $90 worth. Itemization is garbage but I still have fun running the content anyway because its just fun on its own.

Although I really appreciate the fact that I can craft a full set of armor and jewelry and have my alts jump right into the content, the tiered loot is just awful. A couple weeks into the expansion and no one is bidding on gear.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  3. Tetrol Well-Known Member

Mixed bag - the following are all, of course, opinion and any relation to fact may be circumstantial.

I play 99% solo/molo, largely through necessity (work and family). I am an alt-o-holic. I play to enjoy playing, ie to relax, and have zero interest in "min-maxing". I work in a team based environment handling complex issues having to follow procedures and routines, and want none of that in my leisure activity. The best fun I get out of the game is finding a new place, hunting around looking for surprises. hidden quests, mobs etc.

The good - like the look and feel of the expansion. Has some exploring and finding to do (nice not having everything marked on the map ie the blue zones for the current quest). Some triggered "surprise" quests - like the mushroom guy - although the number of mobs needed to kill before he pops is ridiculous as it shows you really are intending to pop him, and therefore had "read the book"

The bad - it's still following the linear progression style. Do quest a, b, c to get quest d to appear. Do that for one character and it's new. Do it for 5 and it's really old. Hit a point that you really dislike, and know that you are going to reach it, and precisely when, with any other alt. There are no bypasses or alternate paths. I detest the AS zones (not just this expansion actually) I have done so far, and don't look forward to the remainder.
    The loot - normally, after the last comment, someone would post back that you just want the loot without the challenge. As the challenge in the AS zones is whether or not you can read the script on some web page then repeat it identically for each alt - I may have to agree with the "without the challenge" part. As you can buy gear off the broker for peanuts (or make it yourself) that is 95%+ as good as the drops the "phat lewt" part falls over. I'd rather do a fun quest for no reward than follow a strict protocol for something exceptional.
    Tithe/Deity and infusion - I really have no interest in them at all. Seem to be an exercise in frustration - especially for alt-o-holics who will spread their gameplay over many characters, diluting an already weak formula.

As an aside - Mob con system - whatever happened to the old workings. A ^ mob overland used to be similar in difficulty (may have different abilities) to a ^ mob in a dungeon. Now there is no relation at all. Nameds in AS dungeons are ^, but are clearly tougher than a named ^ outside. The con system used to be useful, and now is not.

Value - for what I paid, it's cheap entertainment. For the first time ever I took the basic version due to the rip off exchange rate applied to the prices in combination with what I thought was too much for the premium versions.
  4. Xulos Member

It has it's ups and it's downs just like any expansion.

Love:
    - No more blue dots and highlighted blue areas. I know some people miss it, but I can't stand when everything is so linear that you don't have to use your brain anymore. If the option is there I will always use it because technically it's more efficient, but I'm glad I don't have the option and it forces me to actually read stuff and search around.
    - The sig line does not prepare you for the adv solo instances, you have to go find the quest gear to do them (or just by tradeskilled stuff). Again, less linear and more up to the player to get it done.
    - Thallumbra and Maldura are gorgeous zones. Intricately detailed and they have a really cool vibe. I don't like how hard it is to navigate the giant leaves, but other than that I really like all of the winding tunnels and hidden caves.
    - Each piece of gear you earn makes you feel a lot more powerful and gives an obvious boost to your character.
    - Lots of instances to choose from. I don't mind that some of them are rehashes of other zones, as long as the fights are fun I don't mind. I'd rather have more fights than more varied dungeon appearances.
    - There's never a stopping point with infusing and deity points. Like they said, you'll finally always have a reason to go kill stuff. Any reason to kill more stuff is good with me. The window is stale and boring and I think infusion has some kinks to work out as well, but overall I like it.

Hate:
    - Almost no difference between heroic and raid gear. I don't have the time to raid anymore, but I think people should be rewarded for the effort. It doesn't make sense to offer raids and not give people cool stuff for them. I don't agree with people that say raiding is it's own reward. There needs to be some kind of character advancement. I think the raid effects on gear is a good idea, but that gear shouldn't drop from heroics, it should probably drop in the first raid instances and people need to farm enough of them to progress.
    - Barely any rewards for the coin system, and the ones that are there cost a gajillion status. Getting an illusion and one relic item doesn't seem like it's worth the effort anyway. There needs to be some other rewards besides ammo and pots. I like grinding out instances to get coins to buy cool stuff. It's a fun goal for me. Give me something I can actually earn in a reasonable amount of time.
  5. Ratza Well-Known Member

I think the difference between adv solo, heroic, and raid gear is so minor that it makes me question "is this it?"

The amount of infusers dropping is excessive!

Overall....to me this feels more like a mid season campaign/update versus a full expansion. So in that sense the limited content does not justify the cost unlessyou want to just run alt after alt after alt through the quest lines. I will say that I am glad no new levels were added because the endless grind has become boring over the last few expansions to just to get a tiny spell upgrade on each art. So overall....gear seems to be sorely lacking....otherwise I like it....I really enjoy the new dungeon zones compared to the last 2 xpacs.
  6. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

No.

Infusion is a spaghetti bowl meant to suck resources quickly and it is unsustainable IMO.

Deity makes no sense. I get you tithe x/y and haven't figured out yet what resets that.

Small.

Overall even worse about you not being able to do ANYTHING in last expansion gear but walk the hamster wheel of solo quests to get gear to walk the ladder up.
  7. Xillean Well-Known Member

I feel I got my monies worth and for the most part this is the most fun the Wife and I have had in years.
    Liou_Unrest, Prissetta and Xulos like this.
  8. Xianthia Well-Known Member

I'm having a fantastic time in ToT. :)

Not enough infusers! I use them as quickly as I get them.
    Must get more... more... more.... /cue zombie walk :p
    Tylia, dngrmse and Xulos like this.
  9. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Ermm what.

You could do all the heroic zones apart from masters chosen in last expacs heroic gear easy.

Infusers aren't a mess, you just don't understand them clearly.

Deity abilities aren't hard. You earn them, can have 10 points at a time max, and can either spend them on raw stats or temp abilities.

Expac has 13 heroic instances, contested and 4 raids including a x2. That's more than in a long while.
    Wirewhisker and Liou_Unrest like this.
  10. Conifur Well-Known Member

I don't think it was worth it. After doing the SIG line and the TS line and only being able to equip one of the rewards it turns into a lotto grind for keys hoping to get better gear or "selected" to go into the duck zone.
  11. Frinch Well-Known Member

I feel that ToT was designed around reducing the amount of plat in circulation. Not sure how much fun that can be.
  12. Tetrol Well-Known Member

Forcing myself back into an AS zone to do nothing but get through it, simply hoping to open up something else (that isn't another AS zone!) - and coincidentally I have been to the dentist today - and you know what - the dentist visit was better. At least they used anaesthetic to numb the experience.

And anyone know why the healer mercs won't heal in fights in the AS zones? No heals or cures until after the fights (set on passive, follow only, my character has 100% aggro. Trash fights as well as bosses.
  13. Ynnek Well-Known Member

Deity is poorly documented, I'll grant you.

Tithe is just like AA (mostly). You earn aa points as a percentage to the next AA, and then reaches 100% dinging an AA, then it goes back to 0, and you start to earn more. Just like AAXP, Tithe creeps up in in percentage, until it hits 100%, and you ding a Deity point (that you can now spend), and the bar goes back to 0.

Once you've done that more than once, you bring up the deity window (/toggledeity, or it's there in the menu somwhere) - and spend it on stuff. It makes a little more sense if you use a custom ui that actually displays the deity points you earn when you fill the tithe bar, such as:

[IMG]

You can clearly see I have 3 Deity points, and am 73.6% of the way to a fourth.
    Tylia likes this.
  14. Ynnek Well-Known Member

I wanted to keep my attempt to explain tithe/deity points separate from my response to the rest of your post:

I'm not even sure what this means... The item based infusion system is this expansion's grind - and you can't get the infuser's back off an item, so it has legs to it. The Deity infusing side is quite simple, dump plat at item - get bigger stats on item, with diminishing returns.

Well, it's not Big. I consider it... medium (at best).

This, I profoundly disagree with. You can do damn near the entire expansion in AoM gear. I had the sig line complete, and had run all the AS's, and a dozen heroic instances before I even replaced one single piece of gear. Not one piece of ToT gear in the entire group. (And I only geared up because my bags were getting full, and I felt I had a large enough collection of pieces and parts to choose from).
  15. Dreadtalon Active Member

I'm having a lot of fun so far. It's most certainly worth it for the member price I paid for the standard edition; however, Itemization is a mess, and needs to be looked at for the longevity of the expansion and player satisfaction - which we all know go hand in hand.

Solo, to Heroic, X2 Raid to X4 Raids V.1, V.2, V.3 all need to have a differing wow factor, including more unique and useful effects.

Dreadtalon, a Freetard of Tardfire
  16. Regolas Well-Known Member

I like the xpac but I don't like the itemization. There's not a big enough gap.

Ideally I'd like to see heroic gear get a 10% increase in stats AND effects over adv solo stuff, and raid stuff be at least 10% better still.

Right now it's minimal differences.
  17. Solid11 Active Member

The idea is better and the design of the area and gear is definitely better, but as for worth, no. About a quarter of the content from AoM. The quest line was seriously lacking. Felt like an adventure pack.
    Berserkerkitten and Kalderon like this.
  18. Sibyl New Member

Right now I am finding TLE a better experience and have not even logged into live.
  19. Deago Well-Known Member

Worthy of the Jum Jum King? No. Worthy of everything else? Sure.

The story will eventually lead to the Jum Jum King and thus the next expansion: Everquest 2 "The Jum King"
  20. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

If you are all-access and get the edition with basic worm mount and the merc, worth it. As those two make the game more interesting even at low levels. But if you are not all-access, too much will be unusable by you. Even the craft quest line final reward is gated to subs only.