Defensive Measures

Discussion in 'Quests and Seasonal Events' started by Determind, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Determind Active Member

Trying to complete the Defensive Measures subquest from Underdepth Saga: Zaphardt's Defenders and I am having a really hard time with X-O Arachmech. I am a Level 100 Troubador and prior to getting the ToT gear from the all solo and signature quest I had yellow malice gem gear. I have tried a number of different mercs but can't seem to find a way to kill this mob. What is the best way to do it?
  2. santargria Well-Known Member

*SPOILER ALERT*

Is this is the one with the battery on full....

The water is your friend - bring it in the water let it cast, exit the water - rinse and repeat - worked for me
    Determind likes this.
  3. Determind Active Member

Hmmm not working for me.
  4. Xianthia Well-Known Member

I fight the mob in the water the full time. Kill the add when it spawns and loot that battery. At some point during fight there will be a warning on your screen. This is your clue to click in the area/aura around the mob, cursor should be a hand at this point. Rinse and repeat until death (obviously for the mob not you!) :p

Hmm looking at time of post maybe you've already figured it out.
  5. Determind Active Member

I asked in general chat in game and got a more complete answer. It was the clicking of the add after it dies to shock the boss that I was missing. Thanks!
  6. zarobhr Member

I wanted to clear this up for others

fighting in the water prevents the knockback
    also when you get the battry and the hand icon to use it you are actually placing the battery in the water to shock the spider

there is no arura, you are not placing hand on a mob etc its the water
    Determind and Chrol like this.
  7. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Ah! I have a same problem ... darn spider refuse to die from my single round of FC chain :) ... but I did got him down like to 20-25% :)
  8. Determind Active Member

That was the toughest advanced solo I have done in ToT so far. At first I had no idea how to defeat Old Doclin until I saw a strat posted, then the X-O Arachmech kept kicking my butt. Hopefully it will go smoother on my second time through with my wizard.
  9. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

I tell you more X-Archmech spider is THE toughest mob in whole zone imo of course
    Zone starts with timed small event - kill 22 trash mob ...agro pull is your best friend ... with good AoE attack it possible thou to have with 4 at time
  10. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Here is my experience with that zone
    a) it starts with mini timed quest - kill 22 trash mob ... they comes in pack of at least 2, agro pull is your best friend - imo 5 minutes for 22 mobs is reasonable, once you get sense of agro radius doing with 4 at time not to hard - in the end will drop ornate chest regardless - I seen legendary belt in it
    b) killing Old Doclin - just keep in mind do not stay in cloud and just kite the bastard - he easy to kill drop like a brick and do not hit to hard btw - drop was ornate chest and again some belt ... with 28.6% double cast (neat for warlock :))
    c) mini event with skeletons on floor - very easy - just click and kill - in the end - again ornate chest with some belt
    d) X-O Arachmech - I still have not figured out tactic to beat it. Yes I know - pull in water, kill the add (at this point I always fail even in water) touch the water and keep doing it until spider is dead .. ended up calling for help, one nice wizard zoned in (God bless his soul) and blasted away spider before it even spawn add - drop was some adornment +68int
    e) summoners and some big Shreder ....well nothing fancy just nuke 3 out of 4 summoners that will immobilize big stone dude after that just put crystals in the circle and run away ... there is trick thou - you have to target feets of the stone hulk and wait until cursor show hand. Once you put 5 crystals (each do 20% damage to the named) last summoner will rush you - simply kill it. Summoners are weak but they comes with undead assistants and those hit hard but do not have much health .. imo just concentrate on summoner once he dead, add will dead too - drop was some charm item with effect "Kiss of Life" (basically group heal 125k unless you are a priest than it will heal on 700k)
    f) kill 3 undead mob after you destroy shield - again nothing life threatening (with basic ToT quest gear) they 3 linked mob but seems to me overconned - all 3 die fairly easy - don't remember what they drop but also ornate chest
    g) kill vassals to make Black Bolt attackable - to my HUGE surprise boss was the easiest mob on whole zone - just few tricks. Stay on range attack, once you hurt him hard enough he will teleport (and he DOES hurt you a bit until he actually teleport) follow him into the portal and remember color. Once you got on new battle ground do not move just nuke him from the distance or use range ... it looks like it does near zero damage. He most likely teleport again and leave behind truck load portals .. use the one with correct color and follow him. Here you should be able finish him if not he will create portal with NEW color and you will have to follow him again. He drop some crate with random forearms or boots item (I got forearms)
  11. Chrol Developer

Seems the biggest issue with the X-O Arachmech encounter (mainly for Advanced Solo) is having to loot the batteries off its adds, so for the next update:

Maldura: Algorithm For Destruction [All Versions]
    The electro-charged battery is now automatically placed in your inventory, when appropriate, during the encounter with X-O Arachmech.
  12. Mystfit Well-Known Member

There are some npc's around the area (4 maybe) that you can click on and *rescue*. It causes him to cast his ash cloud alot less and therefor easier to kill.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  13. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Found a way to beat X-O Arachmech as a cloth caster...
    a) need tank mercenary that will last at least for 60 second into combat and can hold agro very well (SK work just fine)
    b) position self at maximum distance for your most long ranged spells (and that give you distance avoid knock-back and massive ranged attack debuff)
    c) send merc into the fight, buff yourself and you may land your most ranged spell attacks now (just do not pull agro from the merc)
    d) as soon as you see emote "Swirling blades .. blah blah blah" that mean debuff just went off and you can get in closer range with spider and nuke crap out of him, You objective kill spider BEFORE he goes into the next step of scrip and emote "X-O Arachmech reach to the power of the core" this emote mean - add on its way to hurt you and you are been sloppy and now have to play by plated melee slow cooker script :)
  14. Mystfit Well-Known Member

But, you need the add, don't you? To drop the battery. Then coax the spider out into the water and then use the battery on it to kill it the rest of the way down?
  15. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

No, not really. If you are cloth caster (unless you are coercer ;)) you don't want add... if you get add it mean you been sloppy at DPS department. Real battery (one that you need to get crystals) drops directly off Arachmech.
    Yesterday I tried to optimize tactic
    a) you need to be at 36m or so (just outside of debuff range) when you send merc into attack
    b) ASAP (this is crucial) - get in attack range and use all what you got on that spider, by now you might already got nice charm item with 350k ward (for 30s) and probably another charm piece that cast a nuke for 2.1M. If you are not high on mitigation and can't take much beating use that ward religiously
    c) still if you not been lucky with your criticals and Arachmech manage to summon add - ignore add completely just keep burning none stop with your heaviest hitters (like Unda) you should be able kill it w/o getting additional range damage debuff

I can't confirm that battery actually do anything but stun spider - taking all that beating just to lure him into the water and stun imo not worth efforts - burn. Once again I am not sure how high your DPS must be - I have notice if I am able get him down to 50% in my first attack - I am going to win .. if I got him for less then 40% - chances are that spider going to win the round :).
  16. Determind Active Member

I just fought him in the water the whole time. The problem I had before is my troubadour DPS was too low to killed him before the script change to the shock script worked well for me. We'll see if my wizard can burn him down before the add spawns.
  17. Nero Active Member

Seriously, as a cloth wearer (warlock) he shouldn't even have enough time to get from where he is standing to you by the time he is dead. start encounter by clicking any useful charms you have, Spellbind, and FC. follow up by throwing down Chains to slow it, unda to get max hit while he is at 20M or so, PB, TClap as he is getting closer and then any other spells you have left if he is still alive. Personally as a lock, which I know you are, I have never had him survive past T clap... soooooo.....
    DoomDrake likes this.
  18. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Well :) its nice on the paper - but looks like I do not clock high enough on DPS department
    Yeah ... if I have increments after killing minions I will probably kill him fast enough but here is a few problems I have
    a) I do all clickables (well it's just stupid charm that boost 18% Pot for 40second) and ward for 350k
    b) I also do my standard crap Neatherealm, GIft, Darkness after that send merc into attack
    c) FreeHand, SpellBind, FC - and Chains, and a soon as he in range Unda (I'd rather not move I have ring with CB jumping for extra 100% for be immobile ... here is my problem is I lucky and do good crit with Unda (like 12+M) yes I will win but if I do crappy crit (like 4-5M) it's all together different story again if I do have increments I go with Apoc (insta cast) and PB and at this moment if I have any second left on FC I release toxic assault if not then I let spider closer and hit first with Rift - by this time spider usually at 5-20% - Blast, Clap, Cata and what ever I have refreshed
  19. Determind Active Member

As a wizard I had to kill one add before I finished off X-O Arachmech. Was easier than on my Troubadour but then there were some other named that gave me more trouble as a Wizard than my Troub had specifically in District of Ash advanced solo.
  20. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Some updates here ...
    Finally I mastered Algorithm of Distraction to the point than I can run with closed eyes :)
    Spider most certainly is the hardest mob of all instance.. Good way to test your DPS - if you can finish fist time event (kill 22 immolated) with few minutes remaining on timer you are in good shape.
    Here is what I do... Start at distance of 35m (his debuff won't get you here)... If you have firm stance items just fuel them up to get full CB charge - pull mob with snare (Chains for warlocks and wizards) and while he crawling just nuke crap out of him and do not move to not lose CB bonus. I found that any DPS merc will do a trick .. healer won't. I am using SK merc now (Vittia). Also it's a good idea for wiz and lock have full 180 increments before hitting spider (which is easy a case after killing minions)