Assigning chat channels

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by GrunEQ, Oct 29, 2015.

1. GrunEQ Well-Known Member

Did a /bug report but will also post here.

I've tried reassigning the chat channels. I unchecked everything, but Auction won't go away and stays #1. I don't want Auction as #1. I'm having trouble when I assign each channel one at a time, that the chat will still be assigned a different number than how I ordered it.

I remember from long ago that there used to be a command to change chat numbers but I don't remember what it is any more.

I sure wish the assigning of the chat numbers worked like it was suppose to.
  2. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

/setchannelnumber old new

Example of Changing Auction to 5

/setchannelnumber 1 5
    GrunEQ likes this.
  3. GrunEQ Well-Known Member

Bummer!

When I use /setchannelnumber 2 1
    it tells me: that channel number is already in use :confused:

So changing the chat channels is broken right now; at least for me.
  4. pzpz Active Member

auction isnt a channel anymore, its just a message filter in your chat options.

see chat text/chat channel text/auction (thanks kaaria snugglebunny <3)

so no "channel" commands (like setchannelnumber) will work for it.
  5. GrunEQ Well-Known Member

Ok, was able to figure a way to make /setchannelnumber # # to work for me. Just had to assign already taken channels to much higher numbers, and then re-arrange them.

Thanks Errrorr :p
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

There is a much easier way to do your chat channels.

(1) Out of game, look in your EQ2 install folder (usually something like C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\EverQuest II) for your characters' uisettings files, which will look something like:

{Server}_{ToonName}_eq2_uisettings.xml

(Mine, for example, is Maj'Dul_Sigrdrifa_eq2_uisettings.xml).

(2) Open that file in Notepad (if necessary,click the Windows Start button and in the "Run" window put Notepad.exe and hit Enter).

(3) Scroll down to the bottom part of the file. There will be a section that looks something like this:

Code:
        <ChatChannels joined="true" version="2">
            <Channel index="1" name="Auction" />
            <Channel index="2" name="Paladin" />
            <Channel index="3" name="General" />
            <Channel index="4" name="Newbie" />
            <Channel index="5" name="antonia_bayle.homeshow" />
            <Channel index="6" name="High_Level" />
            <Channel index="7" name="LFG" />
        </ChatChannels>

(4) You can simply rearrange and edit the chat channels here. The numbers correspond to the channel numbers, while the names are, of course, the names of the individual chat channels.

I usually copy this the same to all of my characters, then make tweaks (for example, changing the class channel), which makes chat communication consistent for all my toons, and I get fewer mistells this way.

(5) Start the game up, then type /channellist to see your channels and verify they're what you wanted.
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Brilliant! Copying this... :)

Will this help with the fact that no one in Europe can get into Antonia_Bayle.Homeshow these days? Do we have cooties? :(

Also: I don't ever use the Auction "channel" or the LFG channel; is there some way to make sure they don't pop up on me again? The Channel Window Options seems to ignore my desires (and de-checking the check boxes) in this matter. :-/

Uwk
  8. Grumpy_Warrior It's a KILT, dang it!

If you want to get rid of all channels and start over, type /leaveall
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

That's a thought! Hadn't known that, thanks! :)

Uwk
  10. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

If you /leaveall then apply another toon's UI settings, you will join the channels that toon has set up in the same order. Very helpful if you have one or more private channels and want the same channel number for all toons.
    Xianthia likes this.