4k / UHD and an ominous 3d-stereoscopy issue???

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Ulofoig, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Ulofoig New Member

Well, here i went to a new monitor in order to get my digital imaging back closer to "true color" than with the limited panels. I got no 3d glasses so i thought i could ignore that.
    That much for thoughts.
    As soon as i pass hd / 1920x1080 some weird feature seems to "misplace" extra shading as well as particle effects.
    Funny effect: if i manually turn ON 3d stereoscopy all seems fine - BUT true to knowing better than the user the bloody settings reset as i got no 3d-stereoscopy device running.
    Modifying the eq2_recent.ini did not work, it is on:
    stereo_display_enable false
    so it _should_ display correctly..
    Any suggestions how to solve the issue?
  2. Kindle Heartforge Active Member

Sounds to me like you might need some monitor-specific drivers for your system. Most monitors either have drivers included with Windows or the generic driver works fine. The newer panels, especially 4k or 3D will need to have their own driver installed for best performance.
  3. Ulofoig New Member

LOL - k, that is old news and i do so since win 95 but thanks - and no it is not the reason. neither is any of the win settings on compatibility.
    The thought i had was a mix on "doies the sys consider my monitor to be one of these 3d monitors due to a wrong listing" - but as there is no specific list to be found in the ini i already dropped that thought.
    Well, still having third thoughts on how to fix that.
    While at it i might as well try to figure how to resize the normal game font (not chat or chatbubble but the interface text) above the 20 point, as that is a lil tiny on screen.
  4. Kindle Heartforge Active Member

Good luck.
    Ulofoig likes this.
  5. Bashem Well-Known Member

What monitor/gpu you using?
    Your trying to run it a 1080p or 3d.I never tried 3d but would avoid those setting if you could

Sounds like you need to change the game options from display or display advanced settings and can try the prebuilt settings to see how they work for you.

I know from experience that some cool looking setting like GPU shadows can be a pita to get working right.
    I look at my frame rates to setup my systems and turn on what I can to better the visual experience if not a frame rate problem.

As far as running 4k still awaiting something to test myself but hope you have a big enough monitor to enlarge the the parts of ui and fonts that are not scale able and have one size setting.

I would run a 1080p resolution and have it up scaled as opposed to running 4k native.
    Again not sure what possible until I get my 4k monitor to test.

Not sure if I missed any of your comments as they are sparse and not following some of the post myself..
  6. Ulofoig New Member

Thanks for the wishes and thanks for the try Bashem - 1080p is somewhat "omg minimize these giant sizes" - but it can work. Will take about another 2-4 hours to refit all though that is why i wanted to avoid that.
    Seems the engine still is somewhat behind its theoretical options but regarding the long way it came it's ok.

Funny side comment: "in eq it works" - except for the font sizes ;)

[IMG]
  7. Ulofoig New Member

Great news!
    As i remembered some advice from a GM somewhere back in 06 or 07 i did what is not the golden "i got it" solution but solidly working.
    I just killed all *.ini files but the one pointing to the ui and relaunched.
    Guess what, eq2 setup the new inis and it works, just it is trying to go for lower settings than i do - but now i just need o turn up the settings accordingly (it started with vga....uhd is already setup and working...)
    Thanks for the time and brainworks - the solution may be a woraround but i don't mind, it is a 3 Minute workaround (2 finding all according inis and 1 deleting / downloading and installing the new files ;) ) and thus it is far easier than hours of searching on how to fix whatsoever ;)
    Bashem likes this.
  8. Zotoh New Member

I actually had the same thing happen where the game decided to turn on the 3D effect even though it wasn't turned on in my options. I did all of the things one should do: checked my own drivers, checked files, etc. Nothing worked and I sent a report in but never heard back. Then on a whim I decided to hit the "reset to defaults" option and bam...the effect never came back. I had to set things back up the way I wanted them but that seemed to do the trick of resolving whatever glitch was in the system that was loading. Strange thing too...it would only do it on one character. o_O
    Bashem likes this.
  9. Bashem Well-Known Member

resetting settings is a good move but you can take it one further by saving the settings you already have in case you want to get them back for any reason otherwise you have to start over from the reset point.