Holidays on TLE, Pretty Please

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Rozyn, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Maybe they'll consider it after the next Campaign/Expac when they can see what TLE populations will be like long term?

The developer team is a lot lot smaller than it used to be. Writing a new questline just for a 2 week holiday would take development time with little return on investment.
    Kaitheel likes this.
  2. Mitten Active Member

No new quest lines would need to be written for Frostfell, quest lines would need to be excluded.

Long term players are going to want events on TLE. The events are already written, they would just need 'tweaking'.
    I'm so sick of hearing they're short staffed, tbh it's not my problem. Our subs have not been reduced, so I still expect something for my $'s.
  3. Riaak New Member

I know that previously DBG has said somethings are just not possible, first they said a TLE was not possible...well we have a TLE now. Then they said that doing Isle of Refuge was impossible...and they did that too.

I think that people dismiss what they are able to do or not do too easily.

So, how about putting some time into holidays since expansion is delayed?
    Tylia likes this.
  4. Adevil Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about Frostfell, but Nights of the Dead lore seems to revolve around an event in Maj'Dul where undead invaded the town and tore all sorts of things apart as if they were searching for something. I suspect, based on that lore, that NotD didn't come out before DoF did.
  5. Riaak New Member

You make a great point, to play on the TLE you have to be a subscriber. Also, the marketplace was not in the game when it came out in 2004. They have made a lot of money off some of the stuff on there, and I think they should return the investment and add a few things here and there.

The longer you keep players happy, the longer they are going to play which makes them more money in subs, also they are going to spend money in the marketplace as well.

Not asking for the world here, just a few holiday events.
    Tylia, Mitten, Rozyn and 1 other person like this.
  6. Gourdon Well-Known Member

I'm not in the group that is clamoring for holiday events, and do not really care if they end up being on the TLE servers or not. However, I do think that there is an important principle in play. Daybreak needs to make investments in the TLE servers to ensure that they stay constantly interesting. Without some outside source of energy and enthusiasm, the servers will not sustain themselves. As such, they should look at how much of the resident live event hacker's (Gninja) time it would take to roll either a live event or holiday event out. Then, they need to think how much it is worth to them to keep the ball rolling.

Personally, I think it makes more sense to work on the live world events, because that will be content that isn't present on the regular servers. Recapitulating those live world events will bring something that isn't available otherwise, increasing the overall attractiveness of EQ2.
    Mitten likes this.
  7. Rolien Active Member

I get that some zones for holiday events are not open but why can't they just lock them off?

Most of Frostfell was in everfrost and permafrost if I remember correctly.
    A lot of The Halloween was outside of expansions (Sorry I forgot the exact name)

The ones that came out with certain expansions I can understand waiting for the expansion for them to go live on TLE but Frostfell and the Halloween event were on Live before DoF. So why can't they just lock off the parts that require different expansions.

Plus I predict that by Christmas we may see KoS Maybe even EoF.
    Rozyn likes this.
  8. Rozyn Well-Known Member

Holidays are a BIG part of the game for many people, I know quite a few who would return just for them.

I want to reiterate that while I understand how Tinkerfest would be odd in the TLE w/o EoF it's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about Splitpaw/Bloodlines and possibly DoF (if the vote goes through, which I think is likely for October) era holidays and simplified holidays that match those eras. http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Expansions_and_Adventure_Packs Here is a timeline of when those expansions hit. The first upcoming holiday, Nights of the Dead, had holiday events in 2005 http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Nights_of_the_Dead.

Once again, while I get that some people are trying to drown me out with "Well it wasn't in the game yet" - some of it was! And this is a TLE, let's see the holidays reintroduced TLE style then. Personally, I don't really care about how accurate stuff is as it's already incredibly inaccurate, but I'd actually prefer a TLE holiday release over hodge podge Live release with some NPC's who aren't hailable - even if that's how the TLE is (see: adorning, tinkering, reforging NPCs). I'll take whatever we can get.

To the second point, I get that the devs don't have many resources, but this is one of those times I'm going to wave my sub around and my cash shop purchases. I know that gets old and annoying, but hey, this is important to me and I'm voicing my opinion as a customer. What's even older is constantly being told that despite paying on a sub-only server with cash shop junk that shouldn't be on the TLE, I have to not only forgive, but expect mediocrity. Some holidays were in the game during these years. Put those 2005 quests back in! It may seem like I'm making much ado about nothing, but go ahead and see how disappointed non-forum goers are going to be come October when they hear holidays aren't coming.
    Tylia and Mitten like this.
  9. Synistra Active Member

I'd love to see them in on the TLE as well but I know in the past the red names have said that they won't be dinkin' around with code that they'll just have to change later..or something to that effect. I miss the holiday stuff but I guess I can log on my live toon to enjoy them until they get put in on the TLE (even though I never..ever...ever play my live toon anymore). If it wouldn't be too much developer time to get it done then I'd be all for it. They've changed their mind about things in the past and also surprised us with stuff too (TLE island and boat anyone?).
  10. Tylia Well-Known Member

I agree with Rozyn, we need some kind of something for at least Nights of the Dead and Frostfell. Right from the start the TLE servers were not "accurate", and those holidays are not "new". The stuff has already been written. It may just take a little bit of time to tweak things to make them "fit" on the TLE servers, but there will be greater customer satisfaction in the long run. When it comes down to it, keeping the paying customer happy (and paying) is what is most important. That is what pays the bills after all. ;)
    Rozyn and Mitten like this.
  11. Wabit Active Member

I say no for now. Maybe if there is 3 month wait in-between server unlock votes and things stagnate. But there is already enough content for everyone to do right now.

Go to the live servers if you want the holiday events.
  12. Maiana New Member

I would begrudgingly forgo NoTD this year on TLE if that means they are working on Frostfell happening for us. Both would be ideal, but I would give up one for the other. (But more emphasis on Frostfell for sure).
    My 2cp
    Tylia likes this.
  13. Mitten Active Member

Yes and no.

There's quite a few actual new players on the TLE servers, I'm sure most of them would have no interest in the live servers.
    Then there's the players that have made TLE their new home and have no interest in doing stuff on toons they no longer play.
    We all know it's much more fun to do stuff at level and with company, new toons on live can't do that, they're just too top heavy.

Frostfell is one live event that 'most' players look forward to. It's also a money spinner for DBG.
    They have said no live events on TLE ever, and I think that stinks. And before someone chimes in with 'it would affect live, sky will fall' I call rubbish. How's AA working out?
    Sure they might not have time to redo every event, but let us at least look forward to one. We are after all paying customers doing what should be low maintenance, old content.
    They have us on TLE now, it would surely be in their best intere$t to keep us there and happy.
    Tylia, Rozyn and Maiana like this.
  14. Rozyn Well-Known Member

This is spot on for myself. I personally know people who haven't played since 2008 and even earlier who do not have Live characters to jump to, and I no longer play my Live toons at all. The TLE is my home now, I don't really enjoy being treated like a second class server when we should be the premium server.
  15. Torvaldr Well-Known Member

I don't get what TLE is even supposed to be anymore. People keep asking for custom additions, changes, and content. The devs have even said it's not like vanilla, but meant to encourage grouping. I thought TLE was supposed to mirror the game experience, as much as possible, during that time period. Why not just make them full blown live servers that are sub-locked.
  16. Rozyn Well-Known Member

Personally, it's not about doing content, it's about enjoying the best in-game holidays around and a huge aspect of what I love about EQ2. Even if they're 'nerfed' back to what they were in 2005, that would be more accurate for the TLE than forgoing them altogether. I don't play on Live anymore, I play on Stormhold. It isn't a matter of simply hopping over to my other characters to experience it there.
  17. Rozyn Well-Known Member

Not sure if you read through any of the previous posts, but holidays were in the game when the current content we have access to on the TLE were in the game. This isn't some insane request, but would actually be more accurate to a TLE experience. I'm asking for some holiday questlines, not mercs and insane stat inflation.
    Tylia likes this.
  18. Gourdon Well-Known Member

If Frostfell was introduced in 2005, DoF was already out. According to ZAM, Frostfell Winterland Village was introduced in 2006.

The current content is not DoF, though it is highly probable that we will be at least to DoF by December.

Daybreak should seriously consider doing live events to keep customers interested, but there is a limit to what it's worth to them.
  19. Gourdon Well-Known Member

Unless there was a 2004 Frostfell event, DoF hit in September 2005. In other words, you're wrong about Frostfell being before DoF.
  20. Gourdon Well-Known Member

By playing on the TLE server, there is no need to buy expansions. The increased subscription and Daybreak Cash revenue should be a reasonable offset for Daybreak, but your subscription can't be expected to buy everyone the specific outcome they would like most. It isn't at all reasonable. I'm not arguing that Daybreak shouldn't do extra work for the TLE servers to keep interest going, but in some ways we aren't paying all that much. We're maintaining an All Access subscription, but not buying expansions. That needs to temper our expectations.