New Player on TLE - Some Questions

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Wydow, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Wydow New Member

I was an old EQ1 player, was an Enchanter for 4 years or so and played end game, quit many years ago. So Ive dabbled in EQ2 multiple times on AB Server and got to level 25 max before I always quit usually cause I felt so far behind and overwhelmed honestly.

So I rolled Illusionist on the new PvE TLE server and I am level 10. I am trying to make a hard go at it this time on this newer server so I am just basically leveling, questing and enjoying the game in general. Questions:

1) Should I be doing something I might not realize while I level?
    2) Are there bonuses for being guilded?
    3) What levels can I expect dungeons?
    4) Will doing quests bring me to dungeons?
    5) What is the current max level on this TLE server?
    6) What level do I get a mount?
    7) Are AA available yet?
    8) How often will expansions be added?
    9) Is there anything in the marketplace I should be picking up while I level?

Any other useful noob info is appreciated
  2. Tayet Member

1) Not really? Do Speak As a Dragon once you're 45ish... but meh.
    2) Groups, raids, community. No guild bank yet. But, some people have houses that have depots for sorta GHs.
    3) 10 is the first dungeon, blackburrow/wailing caves
    4) Not really... there are some you might pick up, but it's not a linear get this far in a quest line go to dungeon
    5) 50
    6) Whenever you finish your starting zone (halas/darklight) usually around 15
    7) No
    8) When the majority vote them in. Every 30 days there is a vote.
    9) Vital pots are on sale atm, so you could stock up on them if you want to do crafting or something. Otherwise... erm, appearance gear.
  3. Synistra Active Member

1. Harvesting will be useful, you can buy bigger bags at some merchants to put in your bank, plus there's a harvesting quest in the newbie areas of Darklight Wood and Frostfang Sea that will give you a 12 slot harvest only bag and once you complete that quest you will get to keep that bag and get a harvest only bank box. Also pick up shinies, the gold "?" on the ground and put them in your journal. In EQ1 they gave you like 10 AA every time you completed them but here they give you exp too and some cool house items, plus they always sell really well on the broker. You'll notice that the tier 1 harvestables the ones that say "for crafting level 1-9 items", aren't selling that good on the broker right now, but once you get into the 10-19 and higher harvestables you can make some pretty good and quick coin selling them.

2. Besides having people to group with and talk to, at guild level 30 you'll be able to purchase some housing cheaper (you'll need status points) and various other things, but that's really it for now.

3. http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Dungeon_Timeline Some of these dungeons listed are in zones that aren't in the game right now. Basically keep to classic dungeon zones, but at least this tells you the levels and where they are.

4. Some quests will bring you to dungeons. Later on certain heritage quests will bring you to dungeons as well. Manastone and Ruins of Varsoon come to mind. You'll also find quests inside dungeons to help you get some coin, sometimes gear, and exp.

5. 50 until Desert of Flames, then it will raise to 60.

6. You can get a mount by completing the quest lines in either Darklight Wood or Frostfang Sea, it's 25% run speed. Alternatively you can purchase a mount from the marketplace that will give you 29% run speed. 29% run speed is the cap until DoF releases, then who knows what it will go to.

7. No, not until Kingdom of Sky

8. As often as they are voted in. Right now we just had a vote to bring DoF to the server and the majority voted no, so we'll have another vote around the end of September. Hopefully people are sick of classic by then and are willing to move forward.

9. Besides Vitality potions, I can't really think of anything. You need to be at least level 4 to see and use them.

Good luck!
  4. Adevil Well-Known Member

I hate buying things from the marketplace, personally, but on the TLE server I did buy a harvest depot and a collections depot simply because storage space is in such short supply, and I'm a pack rat with multiple characters.

The harvest depot is invaluable if you end up with more than 1 character doing different tradeskills. The collections depot is handy if you have multiple characters also, not so much if you only have one. The collection depot holds those shiny things that you pick up off the ground, btw. Not sure if you're up on that terminology yet :) Those shinies can sell nicely on the broker, too, btw, or to a city merchant for 150 status.

There are mounts that you can buy as well. I prefer to do the quests in game to earn one, but you can buy one if you want a 29% run speed boost right away. If you buy one make sure it is HEIRLOOM. What HEIRLOOM means is you can put it in your shared bank slots so that another character can use it. I honestly haven't looked at them closely, all may be HEIRLOOM anyway. The 2499 SC ones are no better than the cheaper ones, you're just paying extra for the looks.

Vitality potions aren't worth the price, IMO. They're very worth the price for some players, so it's very much a personal choice. You should start getting vitality around level 4, and it adds a very noticeable boost to your xp per kill until it runs out. You gain vitality at the rate of .5% per hour whether you are logged into the game or not.

Just wanted to elaborate a bit on the marketplace since it is really so subjective. The previous posters have given you good information for sure.
  5. Daghammer Member

About mounts.
    Like the others said, you can get one from the beginner questline at 15 or so. Or you can buy one on the marketplace, you can be any level to buy and use one.
    Also you can buy one ingame for around 2 plat (or more), also at any level. This is probably more coin than you have but if you go to dungeons and never get around to finishing the noob questline, it is another way to get a mount.

Oh, and one other thing.
    There is one thing to do you may not be aware of. In the level 1 noob zone (Frostfang Sea, Darklight Wood, Oakmyst Forest in Qeynos, not sure where in FP) talk to the harvesting trainer and do the harvesting quest. Once you've done that the blacksmith right near the trainer will give you a quest to make a Lucky Wolf Paw. This is an equipable item that gives you a runspeed buff when you click it. Make 2 of them because they give you stats and there are 2 slots they will fit in.
    Wydow likes this.
  6. KhaineUK Active Member

This is just my opinion to your questions, so feel free to take it with a grain of salt. ;)

1) Should I be doing something I might not realize while I level?

Harvesting and zone-hopping. Harvesting can get you stuff you may need for crafting (I HIGHLY recommend doing the very first tradeskill quest in Frostfang Sea to get 2 of the lucky wolf paw charms!). Zone-hopping between the isles and your starter zone will help with the XP curve a LOT.

2) Are there bonuses for being guilded?

Not really. Though getting groups will be easier.

3) What levels can I expect dungeons?

Wailing Caves & Blackburrow - 10
    Stormhold & Fallen Gate - 20
    Ruins of Varsoon & maybe Runnyeye - 30
    Permafrost, Obelisk of Lost Souls & Solusek's Eye - 40

4) Will doing quests bring me to dungeons?

Generally no.

5) What is the current max level on this TLE server?

6) What level do I get a mount?

Approx 20, though you can get it earlier if you don't mind killing orange mobs.

7) Are AA available yet?

No.

8) How often will expansions be added?

Whenever the vote passes. There's a vote every 30 days.

9) Is there anything in the marketplace I should be picking up while I level?

I personally filled up on the "large" backpacks on the marketplace. That helped a lot. Otherwise, not really.
  7. Caela Well-Known Member

I had no idea the depots were on the marketplace.

I'm guessing tradeskill stations are still out of my reach ;)
  8. Adevil Well-Known Member

Elaborate stations are still only on the city merchants for lots and lots of status and some gold/plat. Don't give DBG ideas :)

Edit: Although the depots are available on all servers (some crafters were ecstatic about the fuel one - can finally have a house with all fuels) the tinkered versions are usually much better.
  9. Caela Well-Known Member

I need them to have that idea! My guild is tiny, and it will be forever before I have that kind of status.
  10. Wydow New Member

Thanks for all the replies!! Another question, BB is level 10, if I am level 15...what happens?
  11. KhaineUK Active Member

You just go to the lower area of BB. That will have stuff around your level :)