Producer's Letter: August 2015 Updates

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Well, crud...maybe, just maybe, they could leave the servers alone? :-/

Naahhh... X-/

Uwk
    Gramma likes this.
  2. Gramma Active Member

Well, one good thing that has come out of the merge: I have been driving myself crazy wishing for a statue of Lucan as a finishing touch to place in one of my houses. Today while I was saving layouts, I came across one I'd placed in an old apartment years ago and forgotten about. I also had a globe that projects images into the sky when you click on it. I placed both items into that character's bags to keep them safe for the merge! I'm so happy!!
    GrunEQ, suka and Rhodris like this.
  3. suka Well-Known Member

lol not just those, all quest givers. i have always found a few. finding more than usual lately and sometimes even /target (name) doesn't work
    Gramma likes this.
  4. suka Well-Known Member

as for me, i have way too much stuff and will never get them finished moving to safety, much less finding them or organizing them after the move. so i am filling up the Take a penny, leave a penny dungeon for people who want handcrafted items.
  5. Merriel Well-Known Member

I was actually thinking, wouldn't it be safer for the items to remain in a house or dungeon, since we can save the layouts to prove the items were there, than they are in the bank or inventory, where there is no list of those items and the only way to prove they were there is to actually mouse over each item and screenshot it, which would take eternally forever to do? Make sense to anyone else?

Not to mention, if a house is published, those items can't be moved either, without un-publishing the house, which under those circumstances would only substantiate your claim further that the items were there when the saved layout date is later than the house publish date, (if you don't un-publish the house prior to the consolidation). Seems to me the safest way to ensure you don't lose items would be to store all the items in a house or dungeon, publish the house or dungeon, then save the layout and leave the house or dungeon alone until after the consolidation. Of course, we would need confirmation from the powers that be, informing us if my assumption is correct. I mean, every file saved on your computer has the date it was saved, or should, anyways. I'm thinking we're all scrambling to prepare for this move by doing something that maybe we should not be doing, lol. We really do need some input from the staff so we know what we should be doing.
    Kurisutaru and suka like this.
  6. suka Well-Known Member

yeah if only they would answer us. but they are testing so they might not have an answer yet
  7. Gramma Active Member

The only answer I was given about the way to save items was from a guide who recommended putting them in your inventory, not brokers, moving crates, depots, or shared banks. That's why I keep the important things in my toons' personal bags or personal banks. The guide didn't say that things would get lost if stored in brokers, shared banks, depots, or moving crates, just that they MIGHT get lost if they were stored there. Her exact wording was that it was "insurance against possible glitches".
    suka likes this.
  8. suka Well-Known Member

exactly
  9. Merriel Well-Known Member

Oh, I totally understand keeping it off the broker, shared bank slots (although when you think about it, guild bank slots are shared slots too), and moving crates, and even mail. As for depots, I think it's ridiculous to think of even trying to empty those, and every effort should be made by the company to ensure the items in depots is transferred.

I imagine that everything left in mail WILL vanish, because mail is server-based and I'm sure those items will not move. Emptying the moving crate out, placing those items in the house, and then saving the layout seems a safer bet than putting the stuff in the bank or inventory, simply because the saved layout file on your computer provides a list of everything you had, which the company can then use to return everything, should things go wrong. Inventory and bank do not provide a list and the staff probably will not have time to research each individual account and return those items, without having proof those items were indeed there.

Obviously not every item you have can be stored in a house or dungeon, so there will have to be some kind of safety precautions to ensure you don't lose gear, potions, spell books, recipe books, and those hundreds of thousands of fluff items everyone has, but with those saved layout files, at least we can help the staff keep the time invested in those investigations down by however much we possibly can. I am not a professional when it comes to these sort of things, though, so I only hope the staff will inform us of what actions we need to take to help ensure a smooth transition.
  10. suka Well-Known Member

when you accidentally delete a dungeon, the first thing they will ask if you have a layout file. if you say yes, they can then duplicate everything in the layout and replace it. however there are certain things you can't expect them to be able to replace - like player written books. if you don't have a copy on your hard drive- like if they were written by other players, it is best to put them somewhere relatively safe.