TLE - What Class should I play???

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Shauwn, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Shauwn Active Member

So I play (and love) a Channeler on Guk, but no channelers on the new TLE Server. Womp womp. I am probably totally spoiled by the casting while running, and AE Heals. I have a warden that I enjoyed, but probably for the AAs where I get to use combat skills to nuke so I feel like that's out. I also have a 96 Conjy that I enjoy solo with every once and a while. Big booms and a pet, what's not to like? I tried and did not care for the Shaman classes w/ AAs, so I can't imagine without I'd enjoy them any more. I typically do go for a class people like in groups but I've never been much for tank types. They don't resonant with me for some reason. EQ1, I played an enchanter main, cleric, and a beastlord on their first progression server, The Combine (had a bard I ran around with pre-Luclin), but those classes are very different EQ2.

Any suggestions to what I might like with the TLE? It's a new experience, I feel like I should try something new. I'm running around with a necro right now, but definitely could go for something new and I'd love some input about some other classes. I am definitely not scared to try a class that is "less popular" or "tough" if there is a pay off (like the EQ1 Enchanter for example). Thanks for any input!
  2. Dixa Active Member

If you want to play a healer on TLE, do not be a druid unless you have a group or guild that are guaranteeng you a spot. we put together a pug raid on saturday and every group has 1-2 furies or wardens. roll up a defiler and everyone will want your milkshake. first 50 healer on the server was a defiler.

if the shaman classes don't appeal to you, consider an inquisitor.

all healers suck harder to level here than on live without a dedicated group, but you will always have a group here if you ask.

the most populated classes are in order: shadowknight, necro, warden, conjuror, fury, ranger. the least populated are troubadors, swashbucklers, brigands, coercers.
  3. Fizzlespark420 New Member

I'll agree with Dixa above.
    Something I've been doing to get an idea of class pop and what I want to play (the least populace one!) is doing /who Class 20 50. Gives me an idea of who stuck with the classes after the Teens and what the true population might look like. Last night i only got 4 troubadors doing that /who, only 4! I have happily rolled an evil dark elf troubador and plan to play it as my main :)
    I also have a 11 Defiler that decimated the newbie island. Soloing names without breaking a sweat, final quest without breaking a sweat, he felt very OP. Still enjoy him, but there seems to be a HEAVY saturation of healers right now, so grouping was not as easy as I had hoped.
    Enchanters are pretty popular, but if you haven't played on before, I say give it a go. I have played an Illusionist till 55 on live back in the day and loved it, and from what I hear the Illusionist pets are pretty decent in the DPS department right now.
  4. Seefar Well-Known Member

@OP my tuppence: roll the dice and go with the flow...
  5. Shauwn Active Member

I did a Trouby based on the thought that he'd support mage classes/TLE Tank owners. Look for Vinn Deezel in Darklight until I get a little bigger to move on out. Thanks for the input guys!
  6. Grif Member

the fact that there are no channeler's at present time should in no way effect your decision to make one. Me personally I never like doing the flavor of the month thing because it's pretty much just like band wagoning if you think about it. When I first started playing eq2 about 6 years ago now I made a couple of toon's that everyone said was cool and the in-thing right now and I got really bored fast with those so what I did was asked around and researched what class was being played the least and not really popular at that moment and that was the brigand. so I decided to make one and I've never looked back after that. My all time favorite class to play and eventually it caught on and I see more brigand's LFG now than I've ever seen. So my advice is you need to do what's good for you, what make's you happy and what will keep you continuing to playing and having fun with eq2 even if that means making another channeler.

I also saw in an above post that brigand's on those server's are not very populated in group's. Not sure why because they debuff mob's and shorten fight's and I'm almost always parsing on top in group's and def not lagging in the dps department. however I have never been on any server like those and I do understand thing's prob work differently and brig's have alway's been known as T2 dps which is stupid with alot of brig's outparsing assassin's which I frequently do in guild group's and pug's and have seen lot's of other's do as well so getting group's outside of guild has not been a problem for me because they know I will get the job done.

so as far as that issue on what's popular or in demand I would not let that deter you either from what you want to play because if you get to know the class and play at the standard's group's expect I See no reason why you would not get group's if your performing as good if not better than a popular and/or demanded class.

bottom line once again after 2 point's is it make's more sense playing a lesser popular/populated class and being happy than to play a demanded/popular one and be miserable and not want to play eq2 anymore.

If I followed that advice at my RL Job I probably would have a different career right now lol.

And I'm sure people might respond to this saying well that's not how it work's. group's want classes that will get the group through the instance. Once again. pick a class you really want/love to play. learn it get good at it and make a name for yourself and prove people wrong.
    Zankas and HaphazardAllure like this.
  7. Dixa Active Member

brigands only debuff elemental until 20 then can debuff arcane, elemental and noxious at 50 they get a from-behind crushing/slashing/piercing debuff (not dispatch). they can debuff attack speed, strength, agility, defense, parry, interrupt procs. they can also make a poor-mans dungeon tank in a pinch as all outside physical mitigation buffs will apply to a scout while not applying to fighters.

the damage from their ca's is laughable though, relying entirely on auto attack and their ca's all recharge very slowly. they don't chew through mobs as fast as rangers who are doing dps on par with necros and conjurors.
  8. trixster Active Member

I've noticed the trend that all of the Bots are necro so I tried on to see what the hype is. At low level you dont even have to fight send in pet and kill 3 mobs 3 levels higher. I'm sure Conj is just as good since a lot of the power is in the pet.
  9. Kindread Active Member

The short and skinny: play whatever's you feel you will enjoy and can EXCEL at. Do research, farm gear, and never be a groups burden.
  10. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

What wrong with coercers? I use to play long time ago EQ2 primary was coercer and alt warlock... Coercer was highly in demand on raids due to mem wipe plus it was excellent solo class with charm .... Warlock was so-so in soloing with root-rot and pulled decent DPS on multimob fights
  11. trixster Active Member

I feel like Coer is a class that will be a lot of fun with skill and practice. The pets are way weaker and you have to watch a timer. Largely they wont tank well for you. So at low level i see a pack of 5 things i'm going to fight. I have to Charm one. Mez one. Root one. and get 2 dead before the mez root breaks. re-mez, re-root. Normally im dead at this point very hard. So 2 mobs easy. 3 fairly easy. 4 or more very hard.
    Necro, Conj, Illy. Send in pet. Nuke them down 1 by 1. win.
  12. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

I am kind of surprise with statement that Illi pet can pull any notable damage (at least it was not a case in my times ... like 2003?) I normally was getting nice nuking pet and pick up heroic mob to solo with pet as primary DPS and myself and crowd control with stuns/roots and occasional mezzes. I did had second alt necro and in time (again way back in time) was not impressed at all. Necro in my time was never able pick solo on heroic mobs while my coercer was doing it all the time with right pet (nuker) and yes of course I was buffing my pet as well :) - Charm was kind of very reliable (I had master level charm)
  13. Jasazick New Member

I picked a Wizard for no reason other than I've never tried one before - so trying something new on a fresh server seemed fun. So far I seem to be doing well, I'm able to hold my own solo and when I do group, I seem to be contributing DPS nicely.
    HaphazardAllure likes this.
  14. Bashem Well-Known Member

OP best to play whatever you like and only thing here people can give is there opinions.

I have a Wizard now and he is just as hard to level as most classes but with decent gear and at least adapts spells he can solo but I been able to group him for the most part since lvl 8 . Once I get my 500SC allotment this week I will make a Fury to play with also.

Both of these classes are fun for me to play and both get teleports and level 25 which is great to have as its hard to get around with no easy access to wiz spire and druid ring to self transport.