Quest Helper doesn't work in certain zones?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Rhesa, Jan 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhesa New Member

Why? Is the game incomplete or is this intentional? Is quest helper designed just to hook new players then BAM it's gone? Or is it developer incompetence or error?

I was literally hours away from committing to a subscription until I hit this issue. If error, I can look past this as long as it is fixed. If the other two options, I'm hitting delete.

P.S. My map in a dungeon doesn't work...what's up with that? Are the devs sadist and get their jollies off people getting lost? I don't think it's very funny.
    Xtura, Angelious, Lisen and 1 other person like this.
  2. Feldon Well-Known Member

When EQ2 first came out, people actually read the quest text, run around zones, and learn where the updates were. There weren't even quest feathers at first. EQ2 was a game of discovery rather than everything being handed to you and dotted lines pointing you to the next quest hub and guide rails along all the paths to the next big thing.

Six years ago, the quest helper blue regions were added to the low level areas. The team has gone back and added them to more zones, and when new zones are added, they have these blue areas marked. Yet there are a total of 900 zones in EQ2 and adding the dots to all 12,000 quests in all those zones would be neigh impossible.

FYI, a lot of players use a free plugin called EQ2MAP which adds thousands of player-submitted points of interest to your maps. It also adds hand-drawn maps to places that don't normally have them, like dungeons.
    Shmogre, HaphazardAllure and Svenone like this.
  3. Rhesa New Member

I am well aware what "use to be." We all "use to" use rotary phones when I was a kid too and cell phones "use to" be two feet long. Thankfully times change. You shouldn't be so stuck in the past it's not healthy. Time is change and we move forward for the sake of progress and comfort. Wondering around lost may be fun and awesome sauce for you just like my great-aunt refuses to upgrade her VCR to a DvD player, but it's just not practical. DLing addons can get your identity stolen so no thanks. You may be okay with some dude in china using your personal info to buy his family all this neato stuff on Amazon but I'll pass.
    Xtura, Angelious, Lisen and 1 other person like this.
  4. Rakk Active Member

I think all that Feldon was saying (unless I read it wrong) was that not all the zones have the quest helper information or maps and he was explaining why - and giving a suggestion how to get maps and useful info on said maps.
    As far as I know a lot of people use EQ2Maps, and many other custom interfaces. If you don't wish to use said custom interfaces that is perfectly fine but then no you will not have maps for many of the dungeons.
  5. Rhesa New Member

If my choices are wonder around aimlessly or potentially download a virus my choice is find another game. It was fun for 20 levels but I don't do incomplete games. I'm not a beta tester. Adios! ;)
    Lisen likes this.
  6. Malleria Well-Known Member

7. Tahuti New Member

If the game is too hard for you to play without having your hand held and being told exactly where to go and exactly what to click, then this obviously isn't the game for you. As far as being so paranoid that you refuse to download anything from the internet, then clearly you need to re-assess your personal internet security habits and learn how to use your computer and the internet in a secure manner. I hope you find a game that you can enjoy. Pretty sure Facebook has a ton that are right up your alley.
  8. Feldon Well-Known Member

The EQ2 community avoids being soured by someone with such a rotten, entitled attitude. That's a good thing.
  9. Lisen New Member

Omg...you people. I agree with her and the only entitled attitudes I see are those from the community. You are all hateful and small. It's no wonder why the Devs don't want to help you guys out, I wouldn't either. It's like I have entered the lair of the anti-social throwbacks.
    Angelious likes this.
  10. Malleria Well-Known Member

*I* is right :rolleyes:
    Tahuti likes this.
  11. Angelious New Member

It's funny you should say that. I have never posted on the forums before but after reading a few threads on here I decided to join in on the fun. Lisen is absolutely right. All of you whine about population issues but at the same time run off all the new players lol. The social atmosphere of this community is definitely a contributing factor to the problems taking place here. This game does need a lot of updating to accommodate more players. However, we would do much better without you guys and your elitist attitudes. I for one am sick of being LFG for 3 or 4 hours but the minority who belong to these little social circles who don't have these issues are damaging the game for the rest of us. Do us all a favor and stay off the forums. Your opinions do not speak for all of us.
    Lisen likes this.
  12. Tahuti New Member

I'd like to point out that in this case, no one was run off by anyone. This player made their decision on the fact that they were unwilling to use the tools that are available in order to make the game more accessible for newer players. That is their decision, and if they refuse to make it... that's entirely on them.

Feldon likes this.
  13. Malleria Well-Known Member

Uh huh. The jigs up.
  14. SOE-MOD-17 Member

Locking this, as it is non-constructive.
    Malleria likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.