Dungeon Maker Changes Coming Dec. 16

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Windstalker Executive Producer

Greetings Norrathians,

Three years ago, we added the Dungeon Maker system to EverQuest 2. During that time you all have used it to create some amazing dungeons to explore, creating your own spins on the world of Norrath within your private instances. We could not be happier with the fantastic creativity that’s been shown and that’s exactly why we added the feature to the game.

Unfortunately, some players also found that Dungeon Maker could be used to bypass adventuring and quickly gain experience without risk. Worse, those same players would often then complain that there is no challenge in the game because they leveled up to max in DM, and then received no challenge at all from the rest of the new content. Additionally, players that level through the content instead of DM were feeling cheated for not taking advantage of the experience exploit while their friends were already at max level, thus diminishing their enjoyment of the content.

The solution is easy to identify. Essentially, Dungeon Maker is way too easy to exploit for experience. We could spend time buttressing the Dungeon Maker systems to make them non-exploitable, but we would rather spend that time on new content and new adventures for everyone to play, not just the smaller segment of players interested in Dungeon Maker.

So, in a nutshell, we are turning off all experience for Dungeon Maker next Tuesday. It will still be an amazing creativity tool for the housing and decorating community to use to display whatever is in their imagination, but its ability to be used as an exploit to bypass the rest of the game will be removed. When this change occurs, we will unpublish all existing dungeons so that folks that have creative dungeons can republish and be more easily seen on the list of available offerings.

We fully understand that this might annoy some of you that have grown accustomed to having this easy button to push for experience, but that’s not the game we desire to create nor the entertainment experience that a good MMORPG tries to provide. The best rewards should always be in the current content because that’s where our best and latest offerings are located. That’s why we’ve made the recent changes to the Altar of Malice expansion to bolster Solo, Heroic, and Contested experience to ensure this is true. Loot and coin rewards have also been increased in those areas.

Here’s the details on the changes:

-Today, Thursday, Dec. 11, we are setting the Dungeon Maker feature item at 0SC (free) in our store’s Features category.

-Tuesday, Dec. 16 with our update, this is summary of the changes:
    • Turning off experience in Dungeon Maker
    • Dungeon Mark rewards will be removed
    • Standard decorating items, like layouts, spawners, will be available for free in the DM toolbox and removed from the Dungeon Maker store category
    • All Dungeon Maker dungeons will be unpublished so that decorating-focused dungeons can be republished (vs. the dungeons created for maximum experience gain)
    • The Dungeon Maker category in the store will remain for the time being for players to spend leftover Dungeon Marks
    • The Dungeon Maker feature will be included free for all players as part of the Free to Play experience.
    This change is overdue and is for the health of the game as a whole. We hope you understand.

Thank you.
  2. ingenius Member

wow. well then
  3. ingenius Member

so completely useless then? do i still get those ice/crystal weapons as appearance stuff as i really like them? don't mean to offend and i understand where your coming from as xp was pretty easy at certain levels and making it free is great oh and is the mount still gonna be gainable from it? love the mount too but wouldn't pay extra sc just for it off market place.
  4. Vexrm Member

I am sad, but I saw this coming before the feature launched so I can't scream too much.

Thank you for the heads up though.
  5. Gaptia Active Member

We, poor players want to level with new content. We, poor player, told you on beta forum that the xp gains from AoM content was too small. You didn't listen then to us, and now you try to point we player, who wants to level through game content, and not grind xp because of lack of enough quests or dungeon balance, as being the one in fault.
    As last you have hear your player base : we don't want to spend weeks to get max level, so now you increase the XP in content like we, poor players, ask from the beginning of beta.
    Same was truth with crafting xp. So next time, take time to consider the feedback from beta players.

In my very own opinion, you had spend too much time so far in DM where there is no rewards at all.
  6. LordTiras Well-Known Member

Well. I'm not one that uses them much. Never really have. But that was something people paid Station Cash for access to, and those people just got the shaft. DMs are nothing more than unlimited free housing storage now. There is NO use AT ALL anymore for them, with these changes. Should it have been looked at? Yep. But this is probably the worst way that can be found to deal with the issue. You may as well remove the feature entirely, the only people that will still be using this are people who store furniture in there, and I'm sure that will be next on the chopping block. :/
  7. Mermut Well-Known Member

Actually, no station cash is required to use Dungeon Maker. Anybody can zone in and play the dungeons without spending a single cent. Building DMs and spending the tokens you gain, however, does require some real money.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  8. HaphazardAllure Well-Known Member

Why do the dungeon marks and rewards need to be removed? I really wish the DM system would get an overhaul instead of taking away all XP and opportunity for mark rewards. It makes me sad to see DM being abandoned (which is a feature people paid to get), it seemed like such a great idea. :( I really don't think many people will be making new ones for us to enjoy if there is no incentive for people to run them any longer.
  9. Charlice Well-Known Member

So really, now it's just housing?
  10. Kristabella Well-Known Member

I have never used a DM to level. Everyone knows or should have known, that leveling through a DM was not it's original intention. Those that run DM groups for hundreds of plat every 7-10 minutes have made their fortunes, and those that have already leveled through the DM exploit, be happy with that and move on. You have gotten your levels, and you have made your fortunes in plat, be happy with that. So, just finish up what you got going till Tuesday, and find something else to do, maybe, dare I say...play the game and enjoy the content.
  11. Tajar Well-Known Member

Actually the RP community use the feature for making story dungeons, and will probably continue to do so. Despite having used DM's to max out AA's (I find traditional PL methods better for levels if I want to do that), I actually like this move.
  12. LordTiras Well-Known Member

Mermut, one of the changes is that you can now go into the Station Store and buy that feature for 0SC. It's in the notes above. Anyone who paid for the DM system paid for something that is now, literally, of zero cash value. So those that paid for the ability to work with it, if they didn't pay that SC for "unlimited free stuff storage", paid for something that is now free, and will grant no refund.
  13. Zhaanish Well-Known Member

Thank you for not removing it completely. It hurts no one to leave it available to decorators.
  14. Feldon Well-Known Member

Agro housing. ;)
  15. HaphazardAllure Well-Known Member

I'm just a little upset because I thought being able to earn dungeon marks would be cool, and intended to find some story DMs to run for fun and earn these marks at the same time. I will likely still run some to see some of the fun stories the community came up with, I just wish I had the chance to earn some dungeon mark rewards as well, as I don't see how it would hurt anyone to leave those in.
  16. Kristabella Well-Known Member

I think they are removing them because those that do dungeon runs have made tons of them thru the exploit. And your statement about "enjoying" them, other than making plat and marks, and leveling what is to enjoy? No one goes in there to look and see how it's constructed, or how beautiful or well put together it looks. They go there to make plat and to level, and it lasts only 7-10 minutes, and after you make groups to take in there, how do you enjoy it after the 200th time? How do you enjoy it leveling, other than the leveling when you are shepherded thru in just a few minutes, over and over?
  17. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

you can make ice crystal weapons beginning this frostfell
    I am not one of those dungeon levelers but I really liked the dungeon marks when I went in there sometimes
    to totally remove all benefits will make those dungeons not interesting for most people
    if you don't give any rewards not even appearance only who will want to bother to go in there
    Lol I got a big bag full of mobs I can put in a dungeon maybe I make one just for fun
    But please rethink just taking away everything :(
    Adaarye and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  18. Aitu New Member

I spent money for this feature, and now you give it away to free players.....the only reason i bought this feature was FOR the dungeon marks and rewards. 1500 SC may not seem a lot of money to you guys, but to many of the gaming community that IS a lot. some sort of reimbursement should be made, all-access time or SC refund.
  19. Nefarious Member

I would like a refund please, I only just recently bought it so I could spend and obtain marks.
  20. Podji New Member

I for one am split on the new changes. While I can understand that people are upset about not getting the ex, the flipside is that the creative element in the game now has a chance to shine, which was what DM was built to encourage.

I hope that we see the creativity shown in the housing system come out in the DM's. What I would like to see is some sort of reward system put in to reward people that create interesting dungeons and show creativity, possibly using Dungeon Marks as a special currency for the creators to use to get special things.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.