Who plays on a laptop?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by MrGee, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Taka Active Member

@Lateana - hi /hugs /missyou

Otherwise, my specs are are a Dell XPS 8300 (i noticed a dell trend it seems)
    i7-2600(non-k)
    8 Gigs Ram
    560Ti(oem)
    running off a 3.5 1Tb Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 rpm with 64mb cache

I play with:
    shadows off - if on, cpu shadows - 5-10 fps reduction, gpu shadows - 10-20 fps reduction
    flora off - if on, 2-5 fps reduction.
    particle effects 2-3ish - if max particle effects, in groups 5-10, in raids 20-60fps reduction..
    high textures, 2-5 character lights -

in guild hall..i go from 20-80 fps when i spin in a circle (lots of stuff to draw in there)
    mostly in game i average about 30-45 fps, empty houses upwards of 60.fps

so on raids with max particle effects, 30fps with 20fps reduction is10 fps its does cause choppiness.
    so i mostly play with reduced particle effects and shadows off.

zoning times are like 30-70 seconds... my arch nemesis..
    I've also heard this MrGee, so i do intend to test to see how SSD helps my zoning performance.
  2. Taka Active Member

Btw that ram was ddrIII-1066.
    i can occassionally run two instances both around 15-25.. alt-tabbing between then.. its difficult but doable.
  3. Sephy666 Member

My wife runs EQ2 on a laptop. Spec:

Intel i7 4710MQ Quad Core @ 2.50ghz
    8GB Kingston Hyper-x 1600MHZ RAM
    750GB WD Black HDD (7200RPM)
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 850M 2GB + Intel HD Graphics 4000

Runs on Max graphics at about 25FPS and Holds 25FPS
  4. Torpian Member

I play on this.

It does the job nicely. :)
    Deago likes this.
  5. Deago Well-Known Member

I sure hope you do something wonderful on a 6k laptop man besides eq2 lol
  6. Torpian Member

It's awesome at surfing the EQ2 forums as well.
    Deago likes this.
  7. Sando Member

yyou should also check out Alienware Graphics Amplifier.
    Deago and Taka like this.
  8. Taka Active Member

to be honest i been holding off firing off on a laptop until i saw that.. i'd go for a mid 1,000-1500 laptop with low power discrete graphics to pair with that thing at when i got home! wahoo
  9. Ainaree Well-Known Member

I recommend taking a look at Sager brand laptops if you are interested in something for gaming and would like to make the most of your funds. Alienware is considerably overpriced for what you end up getting - partially due to paying so much for flashing lights, brand name, and advertisement. I've played on a Sager for the past few years and it has been great for raiding - no overheating issues and the like or anything. :)

My Sager NP9130, which is an older model with a 675mx sees me around 45 FPS on balanced during raids, with spell graphics turned off (it's blinding otherwise!).
  10. Taka Active Member

Any Apu performance reports?
  11. Grundge Active Member

I used to play on a laptop, was great in the winter because I never had to turn on the heater, my laptop supplied all the heat. ;)

Honestly go with a desktop, they are cheaper and can out perform laptops super easily. The laptops that come close to a desktop pc performance are SUPER expensive.

If you need a pc on the go just get a tablet and leave your major mmo gaming to a desktop. Black Friday is coming up and also Cyber Monday...best time to get pcs. Most online shops will throw in discounted tablets during this time so I think that is a viable option.
  12. Raff Well-Known Member

13. Raistlyn Active Member

I have an older Asus Republic of Gamers laptop from Best-buy, I think its the 75g but at work so can't check. Would much rather have a desktop at this point, but for the last couple years it has been able to play most games on max settings with no slow down noticed. That said, I commonly run two instances of everquest, and cannot play on maximum settings doing this so Im usually on balanced or high-performance. If I run just one copy it can play at max settings with minimal problems depending on the zone.