Unrest's Tome of Fun

Discussion in 'Guide and Player Events' started by Aitsanna, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Aivet Well-Known Member

Um, shouldn't that be either Thundermist Village in Thundering Steppes or Windstalker Village in Antonica? :)

In any case, looks like it's going to be an awesome weekend for guide quests. Hopefully I'll manage to be awake for at least one of them :D
  2. Gediva Senior Guide

Eeep! Good catch...I think I must be having a rough week haha!

You are most correct! It will be in Thundermist Village in Thundering Steppes!

Many apologies!!!!!

It should read:

• Saturday, October 4th around 8am PST (for all you early birds!), head on over to Thundermist Village in Thundering Steppes. Seems our favorite drinkin' dwarf is in dire need of some help getting his scarecrow back in working order!
  3. Aitsanna Senior Guide

Haldyn and Indir, of the Irongutt clan, sent us a note about their preparations for the Nights of the Dead. Earlier today, they set up their campfire in Antonica and worked with passersby to create a spooky tale.

With special thanks to their helper Paigan, here is their story:

"The Traveler's Warning"

A long time ago, in the time of our great-great-great-grandmas, there was a wicked and greedy man. He was known far and wide throughout the lands, all the way from the streets of Freeport to the gardens of Qeynos.

One night, a lovely young lass was traveling to a village near Freeport. Her journey took her through Nektulos Forest. Now, everyone knows the woods aren't safe, even during the day, but the lass couldn't be swayed from her plans. She hitched her fastest horses to her carriage and set off towards the city.

As she rounded the corner of the treacherous road, she saw a large and darkly clothed man standing in the middle of her path, waving at her to stop. The lass was understandably wary of strangers, and debated whether she should pull her carriage aside. But she felt certain that her parents would be upset with her if she was inconsiderate to a fellow traveler, and she slowed her carriage down and came to a stop.

She asked the cloaked man where he was heading and was surprised when he told her that he was heading to her hometown, near Qeynos. "Tell me, fair maid, if these roads are safe? Surely you have not encountered anything frightful on these forest paths. Will I be able to make it to Qeynos quickly?"

The young lady told him to stay on the road. Although it wouldn't be fast, winding between the trees, it was safer than risking the dark forest. "Aye, milady, I believe you are correct," he told her. "I wonder, could you graciously spare one of your horses for me? It would greatly speed me along. I promise I will deliver it safely to your family when I arrive." Biting her lip, she refused. She would need the horses to pull her carriage if she was to make it to her destination.

Upon her refusal, the man burst into a fit of rage. Swearing and growling and foaming at the mouth, he screamed incoherently. He threw down his backpack onto the road and stalked off into the woods. After waiting for a few moments, the young lady decided he wasn't returning, and nervously clicked to her horses to continue their journey. Pausing after a moment, she stopped the carriage and walked back to pick up the man's discarded bag. She decided to take it to the nearest guardpost for safekeeping.

In an hour or so, she found a tower staffed with Freeportian guards. She headed inside and presented the bag to them. ith a smile and a nod, she headed back outside, only to have the guards shout at her: "HALT! Young lady, is this some kind of joke?" Flustered, the girl stopped as the guard approached her. Meekly, she asked what he meant, as she was unaware of the bag's contents. "Madam, I am not amused at your idea of a sick joke! Come with me," he commanded, grabbing her arm and dragging her inside the tower.

Presented to the commanding officer, the girl begged to be allowed to go on her way. Over and over again, she explained that she had met a man on the road, and he left his bag behind, and she was bringing it here until he could come to claim it. She never looked inside it, honest! The guards were unhappy with this story and continued to interrogate her for hours.

As the skies darkened, she pleaded to return to her carriage, knowing how dangerous the road would be at night. The captain told her sternly, "You may leave as soon as you explain this bag to us!" Wringing her hands, she walked over to the window and peered outside. The moon was already beginning to rise!

Suddenly, she felt a sharp pain in her stomach. As she writhed on the floor, the confused guards stood and stared. Finally, the captain barked, "Go fetch a medic!" and the soldiers left in a hurry. Alone with the girl, the captain walked over to the door and locked it. When he turned around, the girl was gone!

The officer was left alone with the bag, and stared at it quizzically. There was a thunderous pounding noise at the tower gate, followed by muffled screams from the other guards. The officer heard barking - it must be dozens of wolves out there! And what was that whistling noise? He swallowed and backed away from the bag, tripping over his chair in the process.

Scrambling to his feet, he heard his locked door open. The point of a sword appeared at his neck, and he froze in fear. Ever so slowly, he looked up, to see the angry man the young lady had described. "Where did she go?" he asked the captain. But there was no answer - the guard was too afraid to make any words form in his dry mouth. The mysterious man sighed, realizing he wasn't going to find anything out. He knocked the captain unconscious with the pommel of his sword, grabbed the bag, and headed back outside to find the girl.

With the moon casting an eerie glow all about the forest, the angry man set off back the way the girl had come from. The man smiled in a sinister way and spoke softly as he opened the bag. "You should have given me a horse when I asked for one, silly girl." He reached in and grabbed an oddly-shaped bottle that glowed as eerily as the moon itself and placed it on the ground in front of him. He opened the bottle and a mist slowly escaped and materialized before him. The mist slowly took the form of a human.... girl.... It was the young lady!

Confused, she asked, "What happened?"

The man explained, "I was cursed a long time ago to walk the roads on a the night of a full moon, just as tonight, as penance for all the wicked things I had done. If only I could find someone that would offer me aid then the curse would have been lifted. But you did not.... and I remain a wicked man until the curse is broken. So I killed you."

Looking pale and wan, the girl nervously asked what was in the bag. "Your head, of course, as well as your heart! And you wonder why the guards were so concerned." The girl wailed in distress as she realized she was indeed nothing but a spirit and had fallen prey to this wicked man's curse herself.

It is said that on a full moon, such as tonight, you can often hear the wailing of the girl's tormented cries in the darkness of Nektulos Forest.

[IMG]
    The Irongutts with Paigan
    Charlice likes this.
  4. Gediva Senior Guide

Unfortunately, the necromancer can't make it tonight, so the zombies are safe to roam about for a bit. He will reschedule his need for help gathering up some test subjects, so keep your eyes posted here for that!

• Tonight, Sunday, October 5th at 6pm PST in Antonica's event has been cancelled. :(
  5. Gediva Senior Guide

I am sorry to report that Oyenni Loresinger is unable to make her appearance tonight (Monday October 6 at 7pm in Antonica) as scheduled. She will reschedule and we will let everyone know the whens and wheres at a later date! Sorry for any inconvenience!
  6. Aitsanna Senior Guide

Are you in a Nights of the Dead mood? Why not join the Guides for some seasonal fun?

Tonight (Oct 16) at 7pm PDT, it's trick or treating time in New Halas!

Sunday (Oct 19) at 3pm PDT, Halden is trying to do his new friend a favor, but the trickster imps seem to be interfering. Find him in Antonica to lend a hand!

(As always, please remember that Guides are all volunteers. We do our best to make sure quests start on time, but sometimes this "Real Life" thing interferes.)
  7. Aitsanna Senior Guide

For anyone trying to join us for trick or treating just now - apparently the goblins are causing more trouble than usual! They've blockaded the entrance to New Halas from the Hold, but we'll be over as soon as possible!
  8. Aitsanna Senior Guide

For those of you hoping to catch up with Halden, I'm afraid he was a bit too much in his cups. Since he's passed out in the tavern, I guess that means he won't be needing any help right now.... (unless you know an awesome hangover cure!)

But rest assured, there looks to be some more trick or treating going on at about that same time!

We'll be sure to keep you posted about happenings as we can. See you in Norrath!
  9. Raineya Guide

I was out in my catnip fields today tending my crop and a small bird flitted by and told me of some happenings around the Freeport area! Apparently a silly troll named Purzilla has gone on vacation and has bought too many trinkets! Never heard tell of having TOO MANY trinkets but its what I'm told. The bird mentioned Purzilla would need more bags to carry her trinkets home! Now, if you know trolls, size and beauty are no issue so any crafted or merchant bought bag will work. Given travel time and all, the bird expects Purzilla to be in Freeport in front of the Seafarers Roost (the merc building) Wednesday, November 12th at 3pm PST! If you're up for a little troll stink (you know they do) and perhaps a trinket or two, stop by !
  10. Integrit New Member

Would be truly wonderful to get the Newsies Guide quest on Unrest....oh pretty please :)
    Gediva likes this.
  11. Gediva Senior Guide

Seems all of Norrath is a-buzz with all the talk about lost souls!

• Tomorrow, Sunday November 23rd, at 7pm PST, head to Cardin Ward in Obol Plains. Rumor has it a shaman will be in town looking for some help locating some lost souls! But word to the wise, this isn't for the faint or weak of heart and will take you to dangerous lands! And remember, it's a once in a life time opportunity (i.e. non-repeatable). And do not fear if you miss her, as I am sure she will make more appearances in the days to come!
    Ookabea likes this.
  12. Ookabea New Member

Yay!!! See you there.
    Gediva likes this.
  13. Integrit New Member

It would be super awesome to have the Gracious and Giving Guide Gediva visit us again with the Newsies quest...pretty pretty please!!!
    Gediva and Charlice like this.
  14. Charlice Well-Known Member

And pretty pretty please so Aussies can make it! :)
    Gediva likes this.
  15. Daerdin New Member

Missed the last one....Would love a chance at Newsies quest.
    Will it be announced (hopefully in advance) in General and/or High-Level channels?
    Gediva likes this.
  16. Gediva Senior Guide

As it seems all of Norrath is abuzz about lost spirits, and the citizens of Norrath are gearing up for the approaching Frostfell holiday!

• Thursday, November 27th for all your early morning people not busy with turkey yet, that lovely fashionista snowlady will be making an appearance in New Halas in Frostfang Sea, around 8am PST. If you are worried about needing a new look in time for Frostfell, she can help you out!
    • Rumor has it that on Friday, November 28th at 2pm PST, another shaman seeking your help in aiding the lost spirit to cross over will be in the Obol Plains! Can you brave dangerous new lands to aid her to the Ethernere? And, don't forget, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity (meaning you can't repeat it on the same character)!
    (I must admit my troll brain isn't so good at converting time zones across vast bodies of water, so if you let me know a time, in Pacific Time that works for our friends down under, I am sure we can be most accommodating! And that goes for everyone else, if you find that the times we have run this haven't worked for you, please let us know a better time and day, and we will do our best to make it happen! We try to run events at different times and different days to be able to allow many to participate. And keep in mind it is a holiday this week/weekend here in the States so we may not be able to meet your request until after the holiday!)

(And, we do our best to announce our presence, either here if we have enough advance notice, or in the various chat channels in game...I know in the case of Nebulous Newsies last Sunday, many players announced the shaman's arrival before she even had a chance to say anything. But fear not, we will make our presence known so no one misses out!)
    Charlice likes this.
  17. Gediva Senior Guide

It's almost Frostfell! We are gearing up for some fun times during the upcoming Frostfell holiday season! But, until then, I overheard a few conversations from some of Norrath's citizens while I was out and about.

• Thursday, December 4th: Ever wonder how dragons get their enviable hoards? Well wonder no further! Seems an enterprising baby dragon needs some help getting his hoard going. Seek him out in Everfrost at 3pm PST and see if you can lend a hand and help him be the envy of all the other baby dragons!
    • Thursday, December 4th: Spirits float about the Phantom Sea. Are you sensitive to the spirit world? Have you been plagued with visions of the lingering soul of a gnomish female trapped in the realm of the living? Seek out Gaeindra Spiritseeker in the Obol Plains around 7pm PST to help this lost soul cross over to the Ethernere. [Disclaimer: This is a once in a lifetime opportunity (meaning you can't repeat it on the same character].
    • Friday, December 5th: It's Friday Flight Night! Those Aether Gnomes will be setting up their race track in the Thundering Steppes at 4pm PST. But hurry, it will only be up until 10pm PST when the Aether gnomes must take it down and head back out to sea! And who knows, maybe Wavey One'Oar will make an appearance and race you!
    • Saturday, December 6th: Head to Frostfang Sea before the City Festival ends on the 7th. Wavey One'Oar will be making an appearance around 8pm PST, to see how the race track is fairing and maybe even share some Aether Gnome booty with you!
    • Sunday, December 7th: Head to the docks of Everfrost around 3pm PST. Our favorite fashionista, Sneau, will be blowing in on a cool breeze just in time to help your wardrobe go from drab to fab, and just in time for Frostfell!

Keep alert for more calls to adventure in the chat channels as you never know when other citizens of Norrath might need help, or, you might even meet a guide out and about looking to talk with you and share some treats! And, these are not the only things happening in Norrath, as I do not always hear of everything ahead of time to let you know!

And remember all times are PDT/ PST and are subject to change in the event that RL sneaks up on our Guides, (who are volunteers and players just like you) and often without any advance notice, but we try our best!
    Charlice likes this.
  18. Charlice Well-Known Member

to all the wonderful guides that visited Funrest today, thank you very much, it is appreciated! much fun was had by all. :D

i shall leave you with a screenie, i am off to do Nebulous Newsies! :p

[IMG]
    Gediva likes this.
  19. Gediva Senior Guide

I just got a bit of mail from a bottle dropping almost on my head! Wavey One'oar apologizes for the miscommunication in times! Seems she hit port a bit early and thought it was the right time! She is most sorry for anyone missing her arrival and promises to return to the next Aether Race again to share some booty!
  20. Sunnie New Member

There were a few disappointed folks, and I did a fair bit of head scratching myself when she left so early.

To make up for it, could y'all run Nebulous Newsie again really really soon? Please? Pretty please? With gumdrops? And chewing gum? And a free tour of my Dimensional Pocket Home?