Enter: Roshen, EverQuest II Community Manager

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roshen, Sep 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roshen Well-Known Member

Greetings Norrathians,

Some of you may already be familiar with me from my work with the EverQuest community, and some articles I've written for EverQuest II over the years. I’m Ry Schueller, and many of you know me as “Roshen.” I've completed a number of quests that will let me unlock the title of Community Manager for EverQuest II after Luperza transitions into other things.

Did you come to SOE Live 2014? You may remember me better as:

[IMG]
    (I’m the shark. Not one of the more attractive individuals in the front here)

Instead of the traditional hellos, I’d mostly be interested to hear your feedback on what has been working for EverQuest II players, and what isn't.

-Do you use Facebook or Twitter? If so, what are your favorite types of post that you've seen us share there this year?
    -Do you watch EQ2 Insider? If so, what are your favorite parts of this show?
    -Is there something awesome that you see other game teams doing with their community? If so, let me know so we can “borrow” ideas for EQ2 players.
    -What else do you want to share with me?

I appreciate any time you can take to give me your feedback here (or via direct PM to me if you’re shy, or hit me up on Twitter @Roshen), and I’m looking forward to our adventure in Norrath together!

-Ry “Roshen” Schueller
    EverQuest II Community Manager
  2. Finora Well-Known Member

Well, first off, EQ2 folks can be contrary and willful, so hello and welcome to our Norrath ;).

I do use Facebook, but I know there are quite a lot of people who do not. On Facebook, I enjoy when articles are linked for current news about the game. I find it helpful to have that show up in my feed so I can follow ones that interest me directly to the forums/news page.

I LOVE EQ2 insider. I like the news and details about what is going on with the game. And as someone who enjoys the decorating part of the game, I do rather enjoy the homeshow portion.

Fear not :) most of us will happily share our thoughts with you about most subjects regarding EQ2. If I see anything someone else is doing that seems fun, well I'll let you know.
  3. Gharish Active Member

Forums..thats it. Old school and proud of it..get off my lawn !
    Vrisslar, Naudi, Svenone and 5 others like this.
  4. Elite Active Member

I'm more of a Twitter person myself.
    Kinya likes this.
  5. Ookabea New Member

Never use Facebook, I don't like the way they treat their users as lab rats. I do use Twitter. Honestly, I get most of my EQ2 news from EQ2 Wire.
    Vrisslar, Ping, santargria and 5 others like this.
  6. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Contrary and willful? lol I think those are our middle names! We as a group love a hot debate, and the boards are full of our opinions (for better or er, worse).

I love eq2 insider, and am active in the deco community. This game offers the best in decorating out of the other mmos I've tried, and I hope that gets more press soon. So many folks come and are so very pleasantly surprised by the huge variety of deco options we have. This sets us as Norrathians apart from a ton of games!

I've heard that public quests like the ring war are coming back with the next expansion. This sounds awesome! I'm eager to learn more about that as well as the new deity worshipping options.

If the boards are down? I'll pop over to Facebook or twitter, otherwise I don't bother.

Welcome to your new job, and here is hoping for a bright and prosperous future with you as the new captain at the community helm!

Ava
    Cynara and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  7. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

Heya xD

Don't use facebook myself, really do love the information and stuff provided in the EQ insider though. Helpful to get an idea on what's coming up and sate curiosity on things.
  8. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Don't use either FB or Twitter - if the boards are down, EQ2Wire is where I head.

EQ2 Insider is great - good to put faces to names and see what's coming up.
  9. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Yup eq2 wire is a place I go a lot to, for stories and updates. Feldon is an unsung hero of eq2, he does a fantastic job, as do the folks at dragons armory. :)
    Pohondo, Kurisutaru, Tylia and 7 others like this.
  10. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

We've had peeps on AB get custom titles for fansite stuff, like Jethal, and in-game stuff like Lyra the Frostfell Elf.

Why can't Feldon get a special prefix 'Community Snoop'? XD
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Kinya and Feldon like this.
  11. Endymion Developer

That shark ate a weird looking guy.
    Kurisutaru, Katz, Roshen and 2 others like this.
  12. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, Roshen!

I don't use Facebook, and rarely use Twitter, so most of my news I get here. A few suggestions:

1) If something is announced for EQ2 on Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, or a random billboard off the I-5 freeway, announce it here too. Even if it's just a copy/paste with a link to Smed's latest announcement about a project that no one even heard about before then so nobody has any info on it, please post it. Hopefully then most of us will stick to yelling about "what the heck is going on?!?" rather than "why didn't you tell us this?!?"

2) If you wish to call a goal or process in the game "easy," be sure it is actually easy. By that I mean make sure it is something available to all playstyles. If it is something some players can get as part of their normal play, but others can only access by waiting for the people who can get it to sell off their extras, it is not easy. I'm not saying there shouldn't be content geared towards specific playstyles - by all means there should be! But when announcing or promoting it, be honest about who it is for.

3) Sorry to use a negative in this, but please never, never respond to upset players airing legitimate concerns with light brush-offs and/or smilies. I know we can fly off the handle about strange stuff sometimes, and get obsessed about details that don't seem important to others. But mostly if we get upset about something, it is important to us. Besides, other players will quite happily call us to task if we're being ridiculous.

Good luck, and I hope we don't make things too rough on you!
    Kurisutaru, Alenna, Naudi and 4 others like this.
  13. Buffrat Well-Known Member

I don't use either.

I watched it a few times, I never learned anything that wasn't already available elsewhere, but I don't recall what the actual point of the show is. Feels like 2/3rds of the show is housing, and half the devs look like they don't want to be there.

Personally, I count this as community related: Patch notes. Other games always have detailed patch notes with the full changes listed, where EQ2 consistently leaves out changes and sometimes we only get maybe half of what was actually changed, possibly more.

Screw duck mount, let's get a shark mount.
    Chama likes this.
  14. Luperza Community Manager

BUAHAHAHAHA!!! lol! <3 #AndSoItBegins
    suka, Katz, Naudi and 6 others like this.
  15. Elite Active Member

In.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  16. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

#duckmount +1000
  17. Rainmare Well-Known Member

Hello there, Roshen...welcome to Eq2, you will be assimilated. your technoligical and physiological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance if futile.

that said...I monitor facebook. that's the extent of it. don't use twitter. I like posts about the weekly features and/or upcoming content.

as to EQ2 Insider...I watch it indeed. I like the home tours, I like the chats. what I would like to see more of, however, is less on the techie stuff, and more on the lore stuff. more about the characters/game world and histories rather then everything being just about game mechanics and server tweaks.
  18. Luperza Community Manager

TUNE IN for the next episode! There's going to be quite a bit of lore and world details. ;)
  19. Kinya Active Member

Hello Roshen, I think you should know EQ2 is a scary place so lets hope you are brave enough to stay for a longer time with us :)

I use Twitter a lot (@BabaGraPL) and basically I like all the tweets about EQ2 - even if they are re-tweeted :D
    I hate FaceBook so I am not using it :)

I have to say that I love EQ2 Insider. We learn lots of new things and show is great. I just wish one day devs will become more relaxed on this show - maybe after few more episodes :)
    EQ2Insider is the place for news regarding EQ2 and I am not going to lie but I would love to see it as bit often, maybe every 2nd week? Especially now before x-pac and after x-pac is released? Streams from Beta or even Alpha-surprise stream? /hint

Apart from EQ2Insider I would really love to see some more "game with dev" as it is done in other SOE games. Just go to players once a week, form a group for new/ old content and stream it so others can see how great this game is. Since you didn't play EQ2 much it might be a good opportunity for you to see all those wonderfull places :D
    What I want to say is that I miss dev interaction with players as it is in other SOE games. Bring a dev, play/ talk to players and answer some questions related to this dev job - for example I would love to see Tom Tobey playing EQ2 while people are asking him about progress on #duckmount or #sharkmount...

Also you should host more EQ2 streams on official Twitch.tv channel. Not sure if it is possible, but EQ2 Twitch channel is dead between EQ2Insiders and look at Planetside 2 channel - every day something is happening and I think they have less players than we do :D

Oh yeah - and Feldon from EQ2Wire deserves special Community title :D
    suka and Feldon like this.
  20. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

Hail and Welcome Roshen!

I have a twitter account, don't use it much. I do have facebook and have eq2 added and will add you if you let me know what to add. I always head here first though for news so would love to see more stuff in the forums. :D

LOVE LOVE LOVE the EQ2 insider streams!!!!! Did I say LOVE...yes I did, and as a madly addicted decorator love the home shows. I love hearing about all the upcoming changes and such as well.

I also LOVE the monthly decorator contests that Luperza had going on as well. A chance for us all to show what we are all about, so hoping those continue.

We have a great community here and quite the sense of humor as well...but I will say this...

damn the duck mounts...SQUIRREL MOUNT FTW!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.