Combat logging question

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Tasburath, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Tasburath Member

Hey guys,

I returned a few weeks ago and when I was going through my combat logs, it would show me the damage my abilities were doing, but not when I was casting the abilities.

Didn't combat log files used to show things like "You begin casting <spell/ability name>" and then another line that showed what it hit for?

Is there a way to turn it on or am I losing my mind and it was never there?
  2. Tasburath Member

anyone have an idea?
  3. Katanallama Well-Known Member

The game logs round down to the current whole second, in game abilities are to the nearest 1/100th of a second apparently, so if you have some odd cast speed % stat and start casting a 0.57 second cast speed ability at say 15:37:02.05, it will finish at 15:37:02.62, or as far as the logs cares you just cast it at 15:37:02 and it landed at 15:37:02, grats on your 0 second ability cast!

I can't recommend it, but what you're talking about is possible to do if it's bothering you that much... Just create a macro for every single ability and add a new dummy command line with something like "Now Casting [abilityX]!" - it'll show up in your logs as "Unknown command: 'Now casting [abilityX]!" All you'd have to do is compare that time stamp to the actual ability. Again though, with the accuracy difference in game vs the log file, this is very impractical and won't do much for ya other than spam your chat box with unknown command warnings.

If you don't have it, ACT is a must have for breaking down combat data, you can see your average delay on every ability, crit rates, hit rates, max / min hits... It's spread sheet heaven lol.
    Finora likes this.
  4. Finora Well-Known Member

I second the suggestion to get ACT. It is a really useful tool.
  5. Toran Member

Tasburath to answer your question no, the logs don't log 'you begin to cast'. Some buffs will give a log file entry when applied and when they fade. It only reflects damage done and what did the damage. It seems like it did when the game first came out, but I can't be 100% sure on that.